Sponsored by:

Lets play some "Tell me what you see."

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 12:40 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
Oh I see, thanks for the clear up. Another thing is that as you can see from the first picture is that my cat bypass pipe has no brackets to mount to the heatshield, also in that thread there seems to be some kind of shield "defending" the valve covers and I don't seem to have that piece either. Would heat be such a concern?
Make sure you read what crg53 posted above. My initial comment was not accurate regarding extending the bypass. In your case, your cup pipe (primary bypass) is what should be modified to return the factory type flange. Or you could modify the bypass to match the cup pipe. It's your call. You can see the type of flange it's suppose to have in Babalouie's thread.

As for heat shielding, these are pics of my car w/o and w/ the engine heat shield installed.

I'm not sure if it is super critical to run these shields. I run them for the sake of completeness but I know i've seen some folks that do not run them. Maybe someone else will chime in.

As for the shielding on the cat versus no shield on the cat bypass, this is because cats run super hot compared to a bypass, therefore it needs the additional shield. That bottom shield that looks like a skidplate is there to prevent the cat from catching grass on fire if you park the car off the road. The cat bypass will run hot, obviously, since it is part of the exhaust, but no where near as hot as a cat.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:04 AM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well it makes sense about the heat shield not being needed for the bypass pipe. I temporarily put back the cat without the shield while I think of an alternative simply because it got in the way a lot. I think I might just have a shop weld a tiny extension to the cat, although I kind of don't like the idea of messing with a perfectly good pipe.

And apparently those engine heat shields are not on my car, I somewhat recall people on the forum claiming not to use them. This is some good leaning lesson for me right here. Much appreciated.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:51 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I somewhat recall people on the forum claiming not to use them. This is some good leaning lesson for me right here. Much appreciated.
I would think Porsche put those shields there for a reason, if nothing else, they keep your spark plug caps nice and dry as well as keeping road grime and salt off your engine.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Well played sir. Might you know the part #?
Old 07-30-2012, 01:34 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Parts are #14 & #18 in THIS picture
PS. Parts #'s are in the right column.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Plug might be for intensive washer bottle - I can look at mine in the morning.

Marc
It is for the intensive washer....
Old 07-30-2012, 11:21 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by crg53
I would think Porsche put those shields there for a reason, if nothing else, they keep your spark plug caps nice and dry as well as keeping road grime and salt off your engine.

That was my opinion as well.

FWIW...I saw a couple of things you might be interested in.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...3-6-parts.html Note...sorry...just noticed that this is really old but might get lucky??

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...e-2-piece.html
Old 07-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Parts are #14 & #18 in THIS picture
PS. Parts #'s are in the right column.

Originally Posted by Earlydays
Originally Posted by PNine64
That was my opinion as well.

FWIW...I saw a couple of things you might be interested in.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...3-6-parts.html Note...sorry...just noticed that this is really old but might get lucky??

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...e-2-piece.html
Thanks, I'l def. look into sourcing a second cheaper pair of those heat shields.

Also good to know I'm not missing anything with that plug in the trunk.

I'm pretty set on just welding on a tiny extension to the cat bypass as in the other suggested thread. And if the time comes that I want to try a different sound I'l either sell both the cup pipe + cat bypass or offer a trade.

In the mean time I need to get everything I need for a DIY valve adjustment.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:39 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Plug might be for intensive washer bottle - I can look at mine in the morning.

Marc
Originally Posted by Earlydays
Do I get a prize for coming up with the answer first?

Marc
Old 07-31-2012, 02:35 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

I'm pretty set on just welding on a tiny extension to the cat bypass as in the other suggested thread.
No offence Alex, but do it right and fix the Cup Pipe, after all this is a Porsche, not a Chevy pickup.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:41 PM
PChar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No offence Alex, but do it right and fix the Cup Pipe, after all this is a Porsche, not a Chevy pickup.

I would also suggest keeping the engine heat shield in place, these are there for a very good reason. As for the cat, it has its own heat shield you may or may remove it if you wish especially if replaced with a cat by-pass.

Good luck with your projects.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:03 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Do I get a prize for coming up with the answer first?

Marc
Lucky guess. :P

Originally Posted by PChar
I would also suggest keeping the engine heat shield in place, these are there for a very good reason. As for the cat, it has its own heat shield you may or may remove it if you wish especially if replaced with a cat by-pass.

Good luck with your projects.
I'm contemplating just getting another cup pipe and just to the standard bolt on with the bypass pipe. And in turn sell the OEM Cat + My Custom Cup pipe. Would there be enough interest online for an OEM cat?

As for the shields it seems like its a debated topic. Some claim its a bit of a hazard as it holds oil and traps heat increasing engine temps. But come winter time they put them back on. Decisions, Decisions.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:19 PM
stinkydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lucky guess. :P
As for the shields it seems like its a debated topic. Some claim its a bit of a hazard as it holds oil and traps heat increasing engine temps. But come winter time they put them back on. Decisions, Decisions.
That debate is most likely referring to the bottom "aero" cover, not the tins over the valve covers.

Quick Reply: Lets play some "Tell me what you see."