Sponsored by:

Lets play some "Tell me what you see."

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lets play some "Tell me what you see."

I've only had my 964 for about two months. A few days ago I set out to put on a cat bypass that came with the car, but things didn't go well since I suppose the muffler bypass was fabricated and as a result is too short. I also noticed a few other things.

So I will say my assumptions and I would like to hear your opinions.

My Assumptions
1- Because of the primary muffler bypass, which looks to be a welded on straight pipe, the cat bypass pipe I have is too short to fit it. It seems the OEM cat was also a bit fabricated to fit the bypass pipe as well since you can see a lot of welding done by the flange.

2-It seems that my valve covers are a bit moist, but only on the left side of the car. From searching it seems sometimes the valve cover lining fades and this happens?

3- There is this other "moist" area not too far from the valve covers, anything that really needs taking care of?

4- What does this switch in the trunk belong to?

5- If I get the cup pipe, it will replace the secondary muffler?

Now for the pictures:

Old 07-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

That straight pipe = cup pipe.

Looks like the bypass is shorter than the cat. This is your problem. They should be the same size.

Search for a post by user Babalouie as I believe he also experienced a too short cat bypass and had to have it modified to make it longer.

If you want to get rid of the secondary then you want a G-pipe.

At that point you will have a straight through exhaust and will be very loud. It's a decision of by-passing the primary or the secondary, but not both (unless you like a loud car).

Wetness under valve covers seems reasonable. Maybe snugging up the 10mm nuts will cure it, but remember they're only suppose to be tightened to 7ft/lbs.

When was the last time the valves were done? Perhaps they tried reusing the old gaskets.

The wet spot by the timing chain area is possibly the timing chain covers. Also likely not a big deal.

Is oil dripping onto your driveway?
Old 07-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

What switch in picture #4? I don't see a picture of the trunk. Did you miss one?
Old 07-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Babalouie's thread, look toward the bottom of page 10.
https://rennlist.com/rennforums/show...648528&page=10
Old 07-29-2012, 09:15 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Your muffler bracket is bend way out of shape, therefore your catbypass will not reach the primary bypass, also the ends on your PB pipe should be the same, no flange as on the left side.
I suggest you take the PB pipe off as well as the muffler (bypass) bracket, straighten the bracket and reinstall, you will then have to fix the BP on the left side so it will match the Catbypass, I.E. make it the same as the right side.
Hope this makes sense.
PS. Your catbypass is the right length, it's the cat which has been modified ( flange added ), that is too long.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Damn, viewing this on my iPhone, I hadn't noticed that extra flange on the cat.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:17 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) yes, your cat has been modified with a flange. Your cup pipe--primary bypass is custom made with a flange vs. a flared end like the cat bypass which is OE.

2) yes, it is common for the valve cover gaskets to leak. Your leak is minor. I would address on the next valve adjustment.

3) It appears to be your chain cover gasket. It also appears to minor and can be addressed at a later date.

4) No pic of the switch

5) No, the G pipe replaces the secondary muffler. You currently have a cup pipe installed.

Options: (1) replace your custom made cup pipe with a standard flared cup pipe and install the cat bypass.

(2) Install cat bypass. Find a used primary muffler to match your cat bypass. Remove secondary muffler and install a G pipe.

(3) leave as is and do not install your cat bypass.

Removing both mufflers is too loud.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:24 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by crg53
Your muffler bracket is bend way out of shape, therefore your catbypass will not reach the primary bypass, also the ends on your PB pipe should be the same, no flange as on the left side.
I suggest you take the PB pipe off as well as the muffler (bypass) bracket, straighten the bracket and reinstall, you will then have to fix the BP on the left side so it will match the Catbypass, I.E. make it the same as the right side.
Hope this makes sense.
PS. Your catbypass is the right length, it's the cat which has been modified ( flange added ), that is too long.

This is spot on. Install the cat bypass, get a primary bypass and connect with the same fitting (compression strap maybe??) as what is used to connect the current primary to the secondary...and secondary to tip (after you straighten out the bracket). I wouldn't get a secondary bypass at this time. Bypassing everything is supposed to cost you power and is OMG loud.

As for 2/3 I have no information. Do you have a picture of the switch (4)?
Old 07-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the help guys, I had no real intention of removing the secondary muffler, just trying to get the terminology straight among things. The muffler bracket is the one that is in the second picture correct? I'm going to try to consider the options to take now, preferably to be in the cheaper matter or which sound I like best. As for leak, I had a drop about a week ago, which kind of made me take a look. The engine had a rebuild 10k miles ago and there had been no "documented" valve adjustment done, so I want to try and do it myself within the next month.

As for the trunk plug, forgot to add the picture.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

My '91 C2 has the same spare plug hanging around in that area. Possibly something related to a C4 component or maybe the optional headlight washers.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:23 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Your muffler bracket is fine. It was bent so it would be close enough to the custom made cup pipe to get a clamp on the pipe.

A OE cup pipe has a bracket on the back which makes it the same distance as the primary muffler at the attachment point.

Your least expensive route would be to have a muffler shop add a flared end on the cat side of the cup pipe.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Vandit
Babalouie's thread, look toward the bottom of page 10.
https://rennlist.com/rennforums/show...648528&page=10
Oh I see, thanks for the clear up. Another thing is that as you can see from the first picture is that my cat bypass pipe has no brackets to mount to the heatshield, also in that thread there seems to be some kind of shield "defending" the valve covers and I don't seem to have that piece either. Would heat be such a concern?
Old 07-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Plug might be for intensive washer bottle - I can look at mine in the morning.

Marc
Old 07-30-2012, 12:32 AM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
Oh I see, thanks for the clear up. Another thing is that as you can see from the first picture is that my cat bypass pipe has no brackets to mount to the heatshield, also in that thread there seems to be some kind of shield "defending" the valve covers and I don't seem to have that piece either. Would heat be such a concern?
The following link has the set up I was describing. I did not use a heatshield as there is nothing in the cat to store heat (blows by). Speaking of valve covers, if you are doing a valve adjust you will be pulling the exhaust from the cat back, valve covers, etc. so much of what you have listed is "while you are in there" doing the valve adjust "stuff".

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-mechanic.html
Old 07-30-2012, 12:35 AM
carlskisWP
Instructor

Search the forum and you will find several posts that the Cat Bypass doesn't need the heat shield as it doesn't hold heat like the cat does. Fab Speed has posted this as well. I do note that the Schnell cat bypass does look like it has brackets for the shield though. BTW I have a Fab Speed cat bypass and a Schnell primary muffler bypass (cup pipe). I put the primary bypass on yesterday and I am very happy with the sound. Not too loud no drone. Maybe a small perf increase. The fit was good with the stock band clamps.

Quick Reply: Lets play some "Tell me what you see."