My 964 weight!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:06 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
Kai,
That's amazing, here is factory set up sheet for my 964 US Carerra Cup, 2531 dry. Some weight has been pulled out since then but still not anywhere near that light.
Phil
PRC GTL class min is 2350 w/ driver, and we've got at least one 964 chassis running competitively there. I seriously doubt he's much over the minimum. (It's Tom W's car aka The Turtle.)
Old 07-17-2012, 10:37 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone removed their sunroof and replaced it with a fiberglass one? I called my body shop asking to get a quote on painting the panel, and they expressed that there is much more involved than just swapping out the panels.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:44 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
Kai,
That's amazing, here is factory set up sheet for my 964 US Carerra Cup, 2531 dry. Some weight has been pulled out since then but still not anywhere near that light.
Phil
Wow! This is awesome! Do the height numbers refer to the ride height measured from the factory points? Please post a photo showing your car from the side, either on this thread or on the Official Measure your ride height thread. Your car would be an excellent reference point for that thread.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:01 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
PRC GTL class min is 2350 w/ driver, and we've got at least one 964 chassis running competitively there. I seriously doubt he's much over the minimum. (It's Tom W's car aka The Turtle.)
Tom's Turtle is really about as light as a race prepped 964 can go without compromising safety and longevity, he's worked hard on the car.

Almost 200# less than Claudia. His FG roof accounts for 22, the rest comes from the gutted dash, absolute attention to all components and the composite fenders.

He adds a bit back in with his 6 speed G-50, but what the heck.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Ghengis
Instructor

Originally Posted by joefondo
Thank you Ghengis!
Here is the link to the front spoiler. I looked at a bunch and finally decided on this one. I am very happy with the result.
http://www.rennspd.com/P_Detail.asp?PID=431&Task=STD
Thanks for the link Joe. Reasonably priced too. Was it easy to fit?

Another little bit to add when I get the front end tidied up.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:19 PM
joefondo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ghengis
Thanks for the link Joe. Reasonably priced too. Was it easy to fit?

Another little bit to add when I get the front end tidied up.
On a scale of 1-10 it's a 5 on the install. Just take your time and you will be fine. Using a rubber seal or chaulk was the key for me getting the nice flush look.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

soooooo, no one has any idea on what it takes to swap out the sunroof to a fiberglass piece?
Old 07-19-2012, 04:36 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulie964
soooooo, no one has any idea on what it takes to swap out the sunroof to a fiberglass piece?
The roof, or the panel?

If the roof, then we've mentioned Tom's car, which is a comprehensive state-of-the-art build by Jerry Woods/Rich Walton. Might as well call up the factory and order a new Cup for the direction you're headed when you get into things that deep.

If the panel, then what's the point? Until you're absolutely, positively running on class lap records (sub 1:40 Laguna, sub 2:00 full Thunderhill with a stock engine, near stock weight), I can't see fiddling around just for the sake of fiddling around.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

I was definitely not referring to changing out the whole roof ...

Since we happen to be on the topic of weight reduction here, from my understanding, every bit counts. Most reduction is free by removing parts. But the panel itself if pretty cheap. So, in light of the topic at hand, I was wondering if anyone has shaved off that high center gravity weight.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

They probably do, but maybe it would take to long to explain. Seems like the easier route would just be to cut out the sunroof and replace with a skin. Another route for you to go to to remove the full roof with sunroof and replace total with a fiberglass roof no sunroof. Save you more weight. You do have a fulll cage, right??? If it was my car that is what I would do.
Take a look at 2 options: http://gt-racing.com/?wpsc_product_c...-parts&paged=7
The skin or the whole roof.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:58 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Since we happen to be on the topic of weight reduction here, from my understanding, every bit counts. Most reduction is free by removing parts. But the panel itself if pretty cheap. So, in light of the topic at hand, I was wondering if anyone has shaved off that high center gravity weight.
At (then) Class D weight I had to come in at 2760 lbs. (no driver accounted for in those days). In Class E it was 3030. Difference at Thunderhill and Buttonwillow was under 2 sec/lap. Laguna, Willow, and Sears were less.

It's your money, figure out what's important to you.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:09 PM
timtim
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

HI all,

please check the http://www.dp-motorsport.de/17.html?...ash=64d98dafe1

and contact them. I def. know that they have developed a 964 Sunroof replacement in Carbon fibre. I don't know about the prices, but please check...

And check them out on facebook (1st March):

http://www.facebook.com/federleichte11er

Greetz Tim
Old 07-19-2012, 05:21 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can buy a non-sunroof skin for not very much.

For less than you may think, a good body shop can peel off the old sunroof and install the "new" skin.

Money can do anything, just look at the few examples in this thread...the question is, is it worth it for a non-race vehicle. Little Claudia came in at 2750# last year and was very nimble on track - with her sunroof in.

I say no. Spend that money on track time, suspension and tires, brake pads and fuel.

The stock E, G and H cars (our 964s) around here go very fast around the track, and weigh quite a bit...it's all, always, about the guy behind the wheel.

And beer afterwards.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:05 PM
LXR
Advanced

Originally Posted by KaiB
it's all, always, about the guy behind the wheel.

And beer afterwards.
I totally agree on that (...the beer )

But still, we all love to change something on our cars or at least try to improve them for whatever reason. And - for sure - there are not many classic cars with a better DNA for that than a 911 / 964!!!

Mine is currently 1.155 kg with half tank of fuel.

Cheers

(love this forum - there´s nothing like this in Germany)
Old 05-22-2017, 06:16 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Lwt Battery & RS alu hood w BBS rims and full aircon delete now complete

[QUOTE=LXR;9770214]I totally agree on that (...the beer )

But still, we all love to change something on our cars or at least try to improve them for whatever reason. And - for sure - there are not many classic cars with a better DNA for that than a 911 / 964!!!

Mine is currently 1.155 kg with half tank of fuel.

Cheers

(love this forum - there´s nothing like this in Germany)[/]

just keeping this thread going ... 1200kg on the nose w my BBS fitted and 3/4 tank ie 2646 lbs ... will update my build thread this week but still need to remove Sunroof and add rear half cage ... have a mould for CF doors but don't want to sacrifice the strength or add front cage. More focused on stiffness and suspension now as w 3.8 and less wight the car feels almost brutal.

Quick Reply: My 964 weight!