Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 10:46 PM
littlehandegan
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default New guy looking for a 964...

Hello!

I am very new to the Porsche world.

I have owned plenty of cars but never a Porsche. I have always loved the 930's and 964's and I am ready to pull the trigger on a clean daily driver.

Any threads I should read? Or specific's to look for?

Thanks guys!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read them all and don't start with a turbo.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:04 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^ unless you have a ****ty life and have nothing to live for ignore above...

Otherwise that is good advise.

My first P-Car was a 965. The salesman told me if I make it past 30 days I would "probably" be alright. He was pretty close to being right on the money. I had huge respect for the car and did D.E.'s, and a few near misses.

Good advice.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:13 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very tough .. Makmov gives some of the best advice here ... obviously the above is somewhat tongue-in-cheek.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:15 AM
oldskews4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a RSA if budget allows. The best 964 sold the US in my opinion. Resale will also be very very strong.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:34 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I started it up like this

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

and reading through these forum a lot too.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by jellonailer
^ unless you have a ****ty life and have nothing to live for ignore above...

Otherwise that is good advise.

My first P-Car was a 965. The salesman told me if I make it past 30 days I would "probably" be alright. He was pretty close to being right on the money. I had huge respect for the car and did D.E.'s, and a few near misses.

Good advice.
Yeah, they didn't call them widow makers for no reason.

But beside them trying to kill you part. Extra expense, extra problems, extra care is needed for a Turbo car. Porsche + Turbo = $ X3 or 4

There are plently of really nice 964 around.

Sorry for the short answer but the long answer is well really quite long and involved.

Buy the best car you can afford. If you know nothing about them find someone that does to help you before pulling the trigger on a money pit because they are out there too.

And for more specific questions by all means ask them, and yes read the boards as much as you can. You cannot know too much about these cars.

I have worked on them, been around them and owned them for 30 some odd years and I still learn stuff about them. Likewise, I can't just throw 30 years of experience out there in a couple paragraphs, sorry.

The books are also pretty good places to start. But more or less same thing as reading all the Rennlist posts as I suggested above.

Your local PCA can also be a good place to find someone that can help you learn the cars, and help find a good one.

By all means get a PPI done on whatever car you find that you might purchase FIRST before buy that money pit.

And don't let the non believers scare you because there are many who stick there noses up at 964s and will tell you how bad they are. NOT TRUE, they are wonderful cars.

Its like having a earlier turbo car without all the brain damage, and it's been modernized, in a classic package. What more could you ask for?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:45 AM
dkcaims
Racer

Try to find one with extensive, detailed records/service history.

...and once you find one your like?

P.P.I !!!!!!
Old 07-16-2012, 01:02 AM
Makmov
Drifting

It's better if you know the cars, but if don't PPI is mandatory!

or else...

there is more than a few treads that clearly and painfully details what happens when you don't.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:12 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There're fantastic. I'm doing a PPI on one next thursday. I have a 996TTx50, but it's not the same.

I was also considering a RSA - take a look at some of the responses to my 965 vs. RSA vs. 930 thread.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:19 AM
littlehandegan
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys!

I always do a PPI on all of my cars, firm believer.

I am going with a non-turbo, due to my budget. I have owned some fast cars in the past, don't get me wrong! (510HP and 1,900lbs)

I intend on putting it on a nice set of wheels, doing some suspension work and daily driving it.

Any other input is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-16-2012, 01:38 AM
Makmov
Drifting

It's not the HP that gets you, is when it comes on and where all the weight is.

You think oh man, you are in a corner thinking' "I can go just a little faster little faster" and then like a ton of bricks + the ton of bricks in the *** end makes the rear cut loose faster than anything you have experienced. The first reactions is oh crap, let off the gas, which only makes the situation worse, so you end up sideways into the nearest tree or telephone pole in a big ole heap of smoldering wreckage.

In any event. A 91 onward is marginally better.

Take your time and don't be in a rush to buy the first car that comes along.

Buy the one that speaks to you, and one will eventually.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:28 PM
mb911
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 38 Posts

I can give some input,

I grew up with porsche around my dad had 356's and 912's even a 924 turbo when they were new.

I on the other hand a firebird and was heavy into v8's and then VW's etc and then made it into a 914-4 bought that without knowing what I had ( a piece of junk) then I decided I would buy a better car to start with and put it together my way (rust free 914-6 ) I read a ton ,finished the car sold it and bought my turbo project. that car was incredibly. fastest street car I have ever been in. traded that for my current 964 +cash for my turbo. I miss the HP of the turbo but love the 964 for creature comforts and predicability. I dont care for the cost of repairs of the HVAC stuff the rest is pretty straight forward. I can tell you this much. They all leak (Oil) some more then others (some wont agree but I have been around allot of 964 's with my exhaust business and at the very least they weep). Most have had paint work as the cars are 20 years old and have probably had rock chips etc. to be honest most people cant tell that cars have had paint work (thats the way it should be). It will be hard to find a car that you wont want to change or correct to your liking so start with the best base so that you have something sound. I lucked out with my 964 as it has a good amount of records and I know all the little issues it has and how to correct them . I did this sight unseen and no ppi's but I am a DYI and can rebuild/repaint all myself so not as big a dealfor me but if you are not a wrench turner be more careful then I . good luck read adrians book but dont let it scare you off
Old 07-17-2012, 05:58 PM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

Ben,
thanks for that wisdom !
You just helped me make up my mind on the '92 I've been looking at !
Randy
Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2012, 06:14 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

^^^^^^
Sweet color Randy!

Quick Reply: New guy looking for a 964...