Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed my HANKOOK V12

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:57 PM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys...thanks much for your help! The tire pressures were in the 40 psi range...nice and hard...the set up should be fine...alignment, rake, height etc....the only thing left to do is the corner balance which will be done by Rothsport Racing up in Portland, OR. I am waiting for a response from The Tire Rack and Hankook.I don't want to put more miles on the tires in case I need to send them back. The tires just feel like they are flat until they bite, then they are great! Very strange! Thanks again for all the help!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

Well...I couldn't handle it any longer...tire rack was kind enough to take my Hankook's back and send out a set of Michelin PS2's...$500.00 more of course! I will have them on by the weekend...I will be happy to give a report if anyone is interested!
Old 07-19-2012, 10:18 AM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

I am in need of new rubber, mainly for track duty but also some street use. Has anyone tracked these Hankooks and what were the results?

Cheers,
Chris
Old 07-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

If you're doing track duty then you want the Ventus RS3.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

trackdayRSA...if you look on page 3, s4magman talks about using the V12's on track...mosport is a beautiful track! I live on the weat coast; got married in Orno...my wife is from your neck of the woods...I'm sure we have mutual friends!...I would love to see your RSA the next time we head out! I switched to the PS2's in fear that the sidewall of the V12's were too soft...however, a lot of guys really like the V12...I think the V12 bites very well, but only after unnecessary roll...if you google the tire, there are guys out there that think the sidewall is mushy; and many really like them???...if you call tirerack about these tires, ask for a technician to speak to, not a sales guy...I would love to know what you end up with! Cheers Eh! PS...Vandit is quite knowledgeable! Good advice!
Old 07-19-2012, 03:55 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Laguna, let me know next time you're headed up this way and I'll take you for a couple of laps The RSA loves Mosport...
Old 07-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

TrackdayRSA... That would be a treat! One never knows...? Let us know what tires you end up with! Cheers!
Old 07-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

After much head scratching, I finally found the problem with my set up...it was the tires!...it is my opinion that the sidewall of the V12's is just too soft to be able to handle the weight of the engine hanging off the axle...the V12's were great on the Boxter, not the 911. My PS2's made a dramatic difference in the set up! My car now handles like a 911 should! The V12's offered less road noise and is a great tire for a commuter...if you are into spirited driving, these are not the tire for you. The 911 requires a stiff sidewall, period! The price is right on the V2's, but like we all have been told over and over...you get what you pay for! If you order tires from Tirerack, make sure you talk to a tech guy, not a sales person! We need very strong sidewalls for our cars if we want to drive the way these cars are meant to be driven! I really don't know how else to say it. Cheers!
Old 07-28-2012, 05:22 PM
kboustani
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

i just love mine on my c4.they are awsome.i read car and driver article and these tires came second to the michelin ps2.
for me i have another 911 that i track with toyo ra1 r compound tires and they are sticky.for my street car these hankooks are amazing.
here is car and driver article.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...12-evo-page-10
Old 07-28-2012, 07:18 PM
moacur
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 38 Posts

Mine have zero road noise and handle the power of the turbo amazingly. Something must have been wrong with your set. No doubt the tires you have now will outcompete them but the V12s are a fantastic tire even when pushed very hard.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:47 PM
s4magman
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I have tried the V12s for track use (as prospective cheap rain tire). When new, they perform decently but are no Michelins. But after 3-4 track days they are done and change characteristics dramatically. At that point you're better off ripping the tires off, duct tape the rims and finish the day. Maybe they don't handle the heat but when they throw in the towel, they mean it - I will not use V12s ever again for track use. They should be good tires for daily type driving as many of you have already indicated.

A friend of mine just mounted some Michelin SuperSports and seem to like those. I've always been impressed with the PS2.

Don't buy the V12s if you plan to do a lot of DE.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:00 AM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

Thanks for the input guys! I don't know; the Hankooks just felt like they were flat...maybe I got a bad batch!? All I know is that when I put the PS2's on, the car was much better! The Hankooks were quiet and felt good, however, when diving into a corner, it felt like the body was rolling off of the chassis, then the car got set, then the tire would bite. Hard to describe! The tire did bite quite well, but only after the initial roll out...very strange!
Magman...someone else on this thread spoke about the heating problems of the V12's...BTW; your car looks to be set up quite well! Nice one! And, I found out about the super sports only after I ordered the PS2's! I am interested in hearing the reports on this tire after some miles and more people use them! I hope they are great! Cheers!
I am taking the car up north to Steve Weiner and the boys...maybe they will have some answers for me!? I'm happy to report when they have had a chance to look at my car! For those of you who are into F1... Enjoy the Hungaroring!

Quick Reply: Just installed my HANKOOK V12