Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Track Setup and the Weissach Effect.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:13 AM
avddrift
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 Track Setup and the Weissach Effect.

2011 I had a good year on the track, in my first full year of club motorsport, in my 964 C2 Track enhanced car. In 2012, I took some weight out, upped the power a bit with chip, intake and fabspeed exhaust. The biggest change was going from 17" turbo twist track wheels, to 18" o.z. alleggerita hlt with Yokahama A050 R.Spec tyres. Now I am up a class (based on power to weight). I had a suspension expert get more aggressive with the camber, ride height and suspension.

Trouble is, the car is faster, but more on the edge, and especially on fast sweepers, the tail keeps stepping out. Heart in the mouth stuff. My mechanic suggested I soften the rear sway bar, but that was no better. The suspension expert said firm the rear sway bar, a little better, but still no where near comfortable. A local hot shoe drove my car, and said he felt the problem may be the amount of toe on the rear.

I was searching for answers on the Rennlist and pelican forums, and discovered a few posts describing the Weissach Effect. Could this be what I am experiencing? Now that the car is more aggressive on the setup, does that accentuate this change of toe?

Now part two, do the following items on the wish list to improve the handling, especially trying to educe the amount of mid corner rear slip? Please offer advice, or even a quick yes or no on the following items on whether they improve, or a high cost waste of time and money.

Control Arm Bushing Set,
Rennline Sealed Monoballs,
Adjustable Control Arms,
either Tarett Engineering Rear Toe Control Arm Set,
or Rennline Adjustable Control Arms,
Elephant Racing Monoball Kits
Sway Bar Bushings & Brackets
Tarett Engineering Adjustable Drop Links
Urethane 964/993 Front Control Arm Bushing Kit by Chris Walrod
964 Rear Spring Plate Set (pr) (935 Style)

Thanks in advance! appreciate that this may have been discussed previously in a variety of threads, but i'm not sure if it describes what I "feel".

Kind Regards,

Antony van der Drift
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:12 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Out of curiosity, what are your front and rear alignment settings (camber, caster, toe)?
Old 07-03-2012, 01:11 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In addition to the alignment settings, let's hear about spring rates, dampers and tire pressures.

Do you have transitional issues, i.e.: understeer at turn it, waggle under braking or throttle on oversteer at exit.

Are you running a LSD? If so, what?

Best
(you wouldn't be picking your foot up mid corner to correct understeer, would you?)
Old 07-03-2012, 05:06 PM
avddrift
Intermediate

Default Hi RSA Erick, KaiB

Here is the setup numbers from my suspension guy, as well as the current setup position of sway bars etc. I am running hot tyre pressures of target 28psi fronts and 30psi rears. The Yokohama's are brand new as of last weekend, and running soft compound all around. I am finding very little understeer, and the car feels really good apart from the tail happiness on high speed turns. Slow turns are quite good, and I can balance the car with power on/off rotation through the slower turns, with good response from the inputs.

I don't have any transitional issues, in fact the car is really quite communicative. Sure there may be the odd "waggle", but i'm not leaving anything behind, i'm going quite hard. KaiB, i'm not mid corner lifting. If I need to at all, it is prior to the turn, and powering through. And I am not finding any understeer issues. It is during the powering through that the car is really sitting back on it's haunches, then all of a sudden, the *** kicks out a bit, then hooks up again. I know my car has an LSD, but I don't know what. How much effect can this have on the high speed issues?

My suspicion is either the geometry is changing mid corner due to either the Weissach action, or the bushes and rubbers joints are worn, and not up to the kind of stresses I am exerting on the car during sprint events.

I am in Australia, and have just woken to read your replies. Apologies in advance if my response is slow.

Many Thanks and Kind Regards,

AvdDrift
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
WRS 964C2 Jan 2012.pdf (96.6 KB, 282 views)
File Type: pdf
964 Setup Sheet.pdf (124.5 KB, 364 views)
Old 07-03-2012, 05:23 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I really like your shopping list.

Contact Steve Weiner about perhaps using ERP, as well as points where less might be spent.

Is this occuring in both directions? Is your current suspension free to travel?

I read this now as a transitional issue, not steady state as it is occuring as the throttle goes in - correct?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

If monoballs are available for joint #2 & #3 I'd use them, the Cup cars only used 2 x3mm shims in joint #3

Porsche's early rear steer experiments may have been fine for street use when all the parts were new but for track use, especially w/ aged components a change is certainly called for
Old 07-03-2012, 07:11 PM
avddrift
Intermediate

Hello KaiB,

Yes, the slip is occurring in both directions.
The shopping list is a copy/paste from the standard online places, but I don't want to waste money on unnecessary shiny bits. I wasn't sure who Steve Weiner was, but google cleared that up. I am at work now, so can't follow up until later, but I will contact RS, to discuss my issues. Thanks for the tip. I think I have just found my holy grail. I see there is a nice article on "Claudia" as well. Congratulations on a beautifully prepped car.

Regards,
Antony van der Drift
Old 07-03-2012, 07:28 PM
fizzledorf
Advanced

I think the problem is that your last name is Drift...
Old 07-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My C2 is the same, it's veeeery taily.

Then I had a wheel alignment done, and it turns out I had 5mm of front toe out, and only 3mm of rear toe in. According to the guy, this would explain why it's so taily, as the rear end gains toe out as the body rolls, so you need to start off with an excess of toe in to counteract this. He recommended 6mm of rear toe in as a start (and the GT3 race cars they set up in that shop run up to 9mm).

Maybe try dialling in more rear toe as a start?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Tony,

I just looked at your alignment and setup sheets and have a question about your shocks and what they are. I've printed these out for reference, if you call.

Please e-mail me with this info and I'll try to help in any way I can. I know I can offer some suggestions about your list of components that will be an improvement,...
Old 07-03-2012, 11:00 PM
avddrift
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
If monoballs are available for joint #2 & #3 I'd use them, the Cup cars only used 2 x3mm shims in joint #3

Porsche's early rear steer experiments may have been fine for street use when all the parts were new but for track use, especially w/ aged components a change is certainly called for
Hi Bill,
Interesting comments. I "felt" the results of these experiments before realising there was rear end steer. I can understand the reasoning, as in the late 80's, unless a way could be found to stop young bucks going through the shrubs backwards on liftoff, Porsche would be facing continuing criticism.

I will be researching monoballs and upgrades etc. I can only assume that the wear and tear, on top of stickier tyres is going to exacerbate the problem.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:02 PM
avddrift
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fizzledorf
I think the problem is that your last name is Drift...
Haha,
Easier than saying my car is Fizzledorfing all over the place.

I had my name long before the sideways boys got a hold of it.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:23 PM
avddrift
Intermediate

This is how I feel as a lonely 964 owner finding this forum.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:05 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Can't see that video in the US...copyright issues

But welcome to Rennlist! I'm sure these guys will get your problem figured out.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:34 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by avddrift
Haha,
Easier than saying my car is Fizzledorfing all over the place.
Well done!!

I think it will not be difficult to alleviate your case of "fizzledorfing" so the car is more predictable & controllable.

Quick Reply: 964 Track Setup and the Weissach Effect.