Sponsored by:

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 12:52 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Laguna Seca
I just installed HD's and H&R greens on my '94 c2. The rear turned out great, but the front needs .5 - 1" more of lowering capability to be perfect. Bilstein makes sport shocks for the rear, but does not make a sport strut for the front. The HD's are meant to be married to stock springs. Jeff Gamroth at Rothsport racing likes to set the 964 up with the rear fender lip right on the top of the tire and the front fender lip .5 -3/4" up from the top of the tire; if I understand him correctly. The spline of my rear shock is at about 1/2 way with good adjustability...the front is at it's max lowered position and is about 1/2" higher than I would like. PSS10's give more adjustability, but will cost you a lot more money. My car currently sits a tad lower than a RS America...it does look great! I am hoping the springs will settle up to 1/2" over time...then it will be perfect to my eye! Hope this helps! Any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated! Aloha!
Here are the part numbers for the front Bilstein HD's that I ordered for my '90 C2.:

Part Number: 35-052784
Setting: B6 (HD)
Position: Front Right
Old Part Number: F4-VE3-5278-H3
Quantity Per Vehicle: 1

Part Number: 35-052777
Setting: B6 (HD)
Position: Front Left
Old Part Number: F4-VE3-5277-H3
Quantity Per Vehicle: 1

The rears for my early build car are a different part than supplied for later cars, but I believe that the fronts are the same.

You mention that the front needs to lower .5" to 1" to be perfect. How do you define perfect? What are you looking to achieve?
Old 07-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts

Hi Bill...thank you for your time! Do you know if the RS/Cup struts will give me more drop than the HD's? Will they be more firm? Can I marry the RS/Cup struts with the HD rear shocks or do I need to swap the HD rear shocks for RS/Cup shocks? I need to figure this out by Monday afternoon! Long story! Thanks again for your help Bill! I have read many of your posts and know you know what you are talking about! Regards! Sorry to jack this thread, but I think this info. is very helpful to many!
I'm not familiar w/ Bilstein HD, I'm sure that they are a good shock but don't know if they are rebuildable or revalvable

You want these or these

I just put a set of these (993 versions), revalved w/ a digressive setup for my car and spring package, they work great! and are certainly streetable too.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:28 AM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill and James...thank you so much for your help! I appreciate your time greatly!
Bill...the set up you are suggesting looks pretty sweet! If I decide to dedicate this car to the track, I will look into this set up! Thanks again for your time!
James...good question...I guess I had a stance in mind when I decided to transform my stock '94 964. To my eye, I feel it should be a little lower. The other thing that is concerning me is that the strut is at it's maximum lowest setting. When I have Rothsport Racing do my corner balance, the only adjustment they can make from here is up. I am using this car primarily for street and an occasional DE. I have looked at so many beautiful cars on this forum and many of them seem to be about 1/2"-1" lower than mine is now. I have room to play with the rear, but the rake needs to be considered as well...correct? A lot of guys here seem to be happy with my current set up...I will allign it tomorrow and live with it for a bit to see if it will work for me. What else can I do? I'm hoping I am just over thinking it! I can't wait to get this car back on the road! Cheers and many thanks!
Old 07-02-2012, 11:34 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Bill and James...thank you so much for your help! I appreciate your time greatly!
Bill...the set up you are suggesting looks pretty sweet! If I decide to dedicate this car to the track, I will look into this set up! Thanks again for your time!
James...good question...I guess I had a stance in mind when I decided to transform my stock '94 964. To my eye, I feel it should be a little lower. The other thing that is concerning me is that the strut is at it's maximum lowest setting. When I have Rothsport Racing do my corner balance, the only adjustment they can make from here is up. I am using this car primarily for street and an occasional DE. I have looked at so many beautiful cars on this forum and many of them seem to be about 1/2"-1" lower than mine is now. I have room to play with the rear, but the rake needs to be considered as well...correct? A lot of guys here seem to be happy with my current set up...I will allign it tomorrow and live with it for a bit to see if it will work for me. What else can I do? I'm hoping I am just over thinking it! I can't wait to get this car back on the road! Cheers and many thanks!
I completely understand where you are coming from. When I refreshed my suspension earlier this year I went with Bilstein HD shocks and H&R turbo springs. I was assured that this set up would lower the car to RS ride height. I had the work done by my long time mechanic who was factory trained in the 70's and who has worked on these cars since then.

Before the final alignment I went in to see the car and was disappointed that it was not at "RS" ride height. Like you I wanted another 1" or so lower in the front. Luckily I listened to him as he showed me that the rake was set properly and explained that he could not go any lower in the front with out going lower in the rear which would begin to introduce excessive negative camber in the wheels. I decided to take his advice and leave the car as he had set it up. I later figured out that my car is set at RS height per the factory measuring points.

The photos of the slammed cars you see on this forum are set well below RS height. If you look at factory photos of the Carrera RS or Carrera Cup cars you realize that they did not come from the factory set that low.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

Hi James...yes...exactly! Everything you just said is verbatim what mt mechanic explained to me! You are right...I do think I am at RS height. I have spent so much time on this project and just want it to be right! I also want it to be desirable for resale purposes (if and when I decide to sell her). I am a little conservative and do take my wife and soon to be six year old with me on my drives. I really want this car to stick to the road and assure safety. I also want to be able to keep up with the newer p cars when I drive with my local PCA guys; especially when my child is riding with me! I also installed Elephant racing sport hardness front and rear control arm bushings and new F/R Zimmerman rotors and pads and new Hankook V12's all the way around. Replaced all fluids, distributor belt, and a few minor fixes. This car is close to perfect and should be good to go. A couple of paint issues, but she's a driver! Thank you, James, for your feedback...it helps me feel much more at peace knowing that other's have gone through these same issues and are happy with the results! Jeff at Rothsport has assured me that the rake is good, so...
Nothing left to do but corner balance and enjoy! I will keep Bill's advice on deck for when I decide to "step it up"! I do have my eye on a 993...yes...it's a sickness! Much thanks and enjoy this summer! I will post a pic when I have a chance! Cheers!
Old 07-02-2012, 10:55 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Hi Laguna,

Cool! It sounds like your car is going to be great. I have both a 90' 964 and a '95 993. I love both cars. They are very similar in may ways but also very different. I wouldn't say that a 993 is necesisarily a step up, just different. If you love your 964 don't trade for a 993.

I recently started an Official measure your ride height thread. Please consider posting your car there:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...de-height.html

Enjoy your car!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

James...I have seen your ride height thread...I will post there after I figure out how to correctly measure ride height...I think you said not to measure from the ground to the lip. I do love my 964! I had a '87 Carrera before this on and love both! This one seems a little bit more refined without giving up that old school growl! I didn't like the power assist steering at first, but now I just love it! I also have LSD! Sounds like you own two very nice cars! The other car that I am looking for is a recreation of a 550 Spyder...but that's a totally different ball game! Thank you again for your help and interest!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:54 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I'm not familiar w/ Bilstein HD, I'm sure that they are a good shock but don't know if they are rebuildable or revalvable

You want these or these

I just put a set of these (993 versions), revalved w/ a digressive setup for my car and spring package, they work great! and are certainly streetable too.
yes Bilstein will rebuild you shocks for as long as you own them. Otherwise its something like 75 ea if you are not the original purchaser.

The are great.

Bilstein with H&R purples.

You don't want it much lower than that for the street.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:55 AM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

Makmov...I've seen your car on this forum before...she looks great! Mine is sitting right about there...are your front struts all the way down? Are you at RS height or lower? Any complaints about the ride for street? Are you running stock sways? Have you had your 964 over 130 mph? If so, how does this set up feel? I can't thank you and others enough for your input! It helps a ton! The 964 is so different than my '87 Carrera. Cheers!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:08 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Makmov...I've seen your car on this forum before...she looks great! Mine is sitting right about there...are your front struts all the way down? Are you at RS height or lower? Any complaints about the ride for street? Are you running stock sways? Have you had your 964 over 130 mph? If so, how does this set up feel? I can't thank you and others enough for your input! It helps a ton! The 964 is so different than my '87 Carrera. Cheers!
Thanks. Yes the fronts are all the way down.

not sure never figure all that out yet, but its perfect. Any lower it's just gets unpractical to drive on the road.

Yeah, still stock bars. If anything I would go to a bigger bar on the rear. However, most of the understeer I did have is now gone. Only when you try to overcook a really tight corner will it push, and even that is managable. Way more balance feeling than the 90 C2 I had.

Nope, no complaints about how it rides or drives on the street. It is stiff but not harsh. No bounce. Comfortable enough to drive cross country without wearing you out.

Way better than the worn out Bogies. 120 + it would get wiggley, but now hardly even feels like you are going as fast as you are. smooth as silk at 130 and like on rails in the twisty bits.

Once I was passing a Cayanne S that was getting a bit racey with me and thought I was doing about 80 maybe 90 til I looked down 125 eep.

Yeah the 964 is said to be 80% 993 and only 20% 3.2 Carrera.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

Makmov...thank you kindly for answering my questions! My car should be ready today! Then I will drive her up to Rothsport for a corner balance! I can't wait to feel what you have described! Our cars sound similar. Mine is black on black; 1994, car # 213...one of the last of the last! Fun stuff! With my new set up, there is a new learning curve! I will be careful, but can't wait to let her out of her cage! Have a great driving season!
Old 07-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Makmov
Drifting

you are going to get a big ole grin when you pick it up and drive it.

Hopefully they did the front mounts too. Mine looked okay so I reused them only to find that they rattled, so I had to go back and change out the front mounts.

If you thought it was pretty good before, it will be way better now.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

Which mounts are you referring to? We did the control arm bushings (elephant racing sport hardness), but did not upgrade any mounts. I am willing to replace anything that needs it. My local Porsche friends have been warning my wife that she probably won't be seeing much of me for awhile once I get my car back! But when she does, I will be a much happier person! Cheers!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Upper front shock mounts.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

I pick the car up on Thursday...I will check it out! Thanks again for you help! I really appreciate it! Happy 4th!

Quick Reply: Shocks