project: restoration.. and a couple of goodies.. pic heavy

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:45 PM
swaini
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

thx Gus,
(nice rev gauge btw), regarding the steering rack, we tried to remachine it 3 times and it kept leaking so i had to go for a reconditioned unit, fvd sourced one, wasn't cheap and i found many cheaper alternatives on flea bay but didn't wanna take any further risks...
i returned to dubai a year ago and will be based there more.. have to hop to munich every 2 months with work .
VR6er:
this what i have from when i installed the seats,they were creme/beige with the silver back, had the them reupholstered in black nappa with grey stitching, hope they're helpful..
Attached Images     
Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 PM
VR6-er
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look great, did you have to do much to the bases to install them?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 PM
swaini
Instructor

thx vr6er.. not much, had to saw the pins that stick out from the rails and that was that... and also had an electrician do the wiring.. 20min job..
i was looking for sports seats for a while, shipping and all the other expenses was just too much, these were snatched off from local flea bay..
world of a difference .. ride- wise..
Old 07-03-2012, 07:28 PM
swaini
Instructor

vr6er:
another option if you don't want to alter the rails/seats..:
http://www.ogracing.com/brey-krause-...to-993-964-car
Old 07-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Love the stop watches - always wanted a Tag Heuer set. They're just so damn expensive...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-NO...ht_1335wt_1165
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2012, 10:16 AM
swaini
Instructor

Unhappy

mechanic just called...
windscreen cracked while re fitting....:bang head:

another 15 days for delivery of replacement... so disappointed (understatement) and I'm supposed to cover 50% of the cost.(that was his his first offer).. he aint getting off that easy, bottom line is: i aint getting the car 2moro..
Old 07-04-2012, 11:27 AM
s4magman
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Very common for the windshields to crack when they are glued. I would suggest that you do not glue the new windshield unless you expect alot of rain
Old 07-04-2012, 12:08 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by s4magman
Very common for the windshields to crack when they are glued. I would suggest that you do not glue the new windshield unless you expect alot of rain
Isn't it designed to be a stressed/structural member?
Old 07-04-2012, 12:25 PM
s4magman
Rennlist Member

I'm not an expert, but to the best of my knowledge the 964 was never glued from factory. The 993 has a different setup with a glued windshield. A lot of people glued the 964 windshields to avoid leaks.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:44 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The factory manual calls for the glass to be glued to the rubber seal and the rubber seal glued to the window aperture (at least my copy does). This is different from modern cars where the glass is glued directly to the aperture.

So its semi-structural, half way between the older system that went all the way up to the 3.2 Carrera and the bonded system used in the 993.

I guess most screen fitters will see its an "old body style" 911 and assume its the same as a 3.2 Carrera etc. and therefore not glue it at all, and it will of course leak.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:04 PM
swaini
Instructor

my windscreen had a speck /chip from a stone.. they removed the windscreen without a problem, the speck became a crack while attempting to fit back.. aint no expert but in my opinion, if its glued and was removed without incident, and everything that came into contact with the windscreen was cleaned and painted then y would it crack now? correct me please..
Old 07-04-2012, 08:04 PM
s4magman
Rennlist Member

Hmmm, that's not what my Porsche body shop guy told me - guess he's fired
Old 07-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by swaini
my windscreen had a speck /chip from a stone.. they removed the windscreen without a problem, the speck became a crack while attempting to fit back.. aint no expert but in my opinion, if its glued and was removed without incident, and everything that came into contact with the windscreen was cleaned and painted then y would it crack now? correct me please..
It just depends. The windshield doesn't exactly just fall into place, it has to be pushed into the frame w/ some force, so there is a risk of breaking it. It would have probably been a good idea to fill that chip you mentioned prior to removal/reinstall, since the chip creates a stress point.

I have been having conversations with a couple of shops regarding this topic because I have the common rust spot at the bottom of the frame. Some shops are convinced you can't remove/reinstall the glass w/o breaking it. Others are more confident, but still admit the risk of breakage because they themselves have broken them in the past. I also have a small chip, and they told me I should considered getting that filled prior to disturbing the glass.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:16 AM
swaini
Instructor

Smile

your correct Vandit, should have , could have filled that CHIP.. we agreed to fit an after market at my expense, the mechanic will order the original (now Porsche says it'll take at least 2 weeks!!).. and pay for that, fitting on them.

i have to admit, a great part of the mechanic's flexibility is that he's working on my cousin's 993 wide body 993 restoration and will be working my brother in laws's soon to arrive red targa 964' restoration and modification... he does a great job, and i guess being the only (or the most experienced) Porsche garage in Dubai, we have to play ball too..

she should be ready on Tuesday if:
rev gauge arrives from Netherlands ( getting impatient)
alu door sills arrive
rs door cards with CF bits (ordered that yesterday when he showed me the state of the drivers side door card; very bad leak while with PO).
here's the pic of the rotten door card.. seals are new now.
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2012, 07:53 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Swaini - nice restore man.
Have a question for you - the carbon fibre bits for the centre console - where did you source them from? Primarily the centre piece for the tiptronic gaitor.

TIA

Ken

Quick Reply: project: restoration.. and a couple of goodies.. pic heavy