Sponsored by:

rebuild engine time is....Now!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy rebuild engine time is....Now!!!

Not so good day today.... I took my 964 to check on suspected oil leaks and...

Yes, there is a leak in the engine and also an engine noise at 1200/1500 rpms that is maybe loose piston pins or maybe other inner stuff (like damaged piston skirts) so
they are going to open the engine and see what they find.

I will have to wait for a couple of weeks while they finish other 2 engines and then it will be open surgery time for my baby.

The good stuff is that the car will have an almost new engine...

The not so good part is kissing good bye a considerable chunk of my savings
Old 06-21-2012, 07:32 PM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

sounds like with that diagnosis it is worth getting a second opinion, if the pistons were so bad your oil consumption would likely be horrendous. Oil leaks do not necessitate a rebuild.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ras62 for your encouragement!!! Unluckily there is only one reliable shop here for Porsches(except for the official service and they are clueless regarding aircoled engines) so is either this shop or wait till it breaks
Old 06-21-2012, 10:48 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi There

From what I know and have read I would not expect the worst, especially if your engine is "only" leaking oil and is not smoking or knocking. Depending on where the oil is leaking from it may be a simple fix, or indeed it may need to come apart.

How many miles/km has your car done?

Best of luck

Berni
Old 06-22-2012, 06:12 AM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

As I understand it the base of the cylinders can go oval over time but it is not a common thing on 964's, however any piston slap would be accross the whole rev range not just at one specific rpm, and usually worse on the overrun. Has the oil been changed and was there any debris on the sump plug? The noise could be simply noisy valves out of tolerance, maybe also due to a worn valve guide....What is the frequency of the noise/rpm. Has the car had a service recently, are the plugs all tight?
There is plenty to check before going the strip down route, and a good indy with a stethoscope will tell you pretty accurately where / what the noise is. Good luck
Old 06-22-2012, 08:56 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you're not having a great run.
how long have you owned the car?
what has gone wrong in that time?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:11 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Henry - Sorry to hear the news. An engine rebuild is not something any of us wish for but on the plus side, you will have a fresh engine once its done. Keep us posted on what they find is the fault and how it turns out.

Good luck. The biggest challenge I've had in my engine rebuild is deciding where to stop replacing/renewing things.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by berni29
Hi There

From what I know and have read I would not expect the worst, especially if your engine is "only" leaking oil and is not smoking or knocking. Depending on where the oil is leaking from it may be a simple fix, or indeed it may need to come apart.

How many miles/km has your car done?

Best of luck

Berni
Thanks Berni, my car has 168000 kms or 105000 miles, I hear some knocking from the engine, there are also some leaks and probably I will have to change quite a few things to make it perfect, but it will be worth
Old 06-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Henry - Sorry to hear the news. An engine rebuild is not something any of us wish for but on the plus side, you will have a fresh engine once its done. Keep us posted on what they find is the fault and how it turns out.

Good luck. The biggest challenge I've had in my engine rebuild is deciding where to stop replacing/renewing things.
Rob - Yes, not the kind of news I wanted to hear and also yes, I want my engine to be as good as new after they finish the rebuild so I will spare no expense, but I won´t be paying to change things that are not needed to change.

I will keep you, and the rest of my fellow Rennlisters posted regarding what they found broken in my engine and what is done to renew it
Old 06-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sml
you're not having a great run.
how long have you owned the car?
what has gone wrong in that time?
I have this car since 2007 and many things have gone wrong in these 5 years of ownership, but this is the first time I need to take the engine out and I knew this would happen to my car sometime in the future
105000 miles and 19 years of age and also more than 20 track events (mine) I don´t know previously...
Old 06-22-2012, 11:07 AM
ja78911sc
Pro

Maybe this forum should be changed to the "964 rebuild forum"

It has become depressing around here with all of the engine failures.......
Old 06-22-2012, 06:02 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Henry964
I have this car since 2007 and many things have gone wrong in these 5 years of ownership
5 yrs .. ah ok .. not so bad
Old 06-23-2012, 03:55 AM
falcor
Racer

Originally Posted by ja78911sc
Maybe this forum should be changed to the "964 rebuild forum"

It has become depressing around here with all of the engine failures.......
They're 20 year old high performance cars that's been driven hard by many drivers, some cared for the cars and some just used them.... I dont see anything strange in them needing to be rebuilt. My own car is at the 150k km's mark and it leaks and needs a new clutch but aslong as there's nothing wrong mechanically I'll keep driving it and enjoying it.

Quick Reply: rebuild engine time is....Now!!!