Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK experience with taillight tint film. MOT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:00 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts
Default UK experience with taillight tint film. MOT?

Hi, I'm hoping to go for Gus's marvellous magical mystical tail-light and centre strip healing film (TM)..however, has anyone in UK used this and passed MOT without problems?

I can live with the pink back up lights, but my main worry is indicators not being 'orange enough' (I have had a fail on that with smoked side repeaters before), but also that the tail lights and indicators already arent the brightest in the world..

Maybe brighter or LED bulbs would be a start, I should maybe do a search on that as I'm not up to speed. I dont think the tailight units open up so I cant put foil in the light housing like the early 911 guys do..

This has been covered in previous posts, but I wondered if any UK listers had any new experience to share?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Gregg-K
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know that there are high-brightness bulbs available to fit the sockets. Perhaps that's another option.

... Gregg
Old 06-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Vic_S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Gus's film on the center section and had no problem passing an MOT last Sept.

But I was never happy with it on the turn signals; just because most UK drivers would not associate a red light as a turning signal.

Yellow bulbs don't help, nor did the LED's I tried. Someone mentioned cutting out the red film where it goes around the orange turn signal area and substituting with an orange film section. That sounds like it should work

Might be worth asking Gus if he has any orange film...

Last edited by Vic_S; 06-22-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-22-2012, 02:44 PM
raoul
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

i fitted my own red adhesive vinyl film sourced off fleabay and some orange film over the indicators. it's easy to do, you don't need a "kit". the reverse light in white/clear is not an M.O.T requirement so i left it red. you can also do the whole lot in red and source green indicator bulbs which will shine orange through the red film. Film was £10 delivered and i have enough to do my new c2 when it arrives, so £5 a car. (orange film was harder to source but again fleabay came up trumps via a seller in Hong Kong)
Old 06-22-2012, 05:12 PM
ray stobbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had mine on for three years with no probs again sourced of ebay
Old 06-23-2012, 04:26 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg-K
I know that there are high-brightness bulbs available to fit the sockets. Perhaps that's another option.

... Gregg
Yep, in standard form and available from Halfords. I replaced all my rears.

Quick Reply: UK experience with taillight tint film. MOT?