Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Has your engine been rebuilt?
No still running strong!
63.08%
Rebuilt @ circa 50,000 miles
11.28%
Rebuilt @ circa 100,000 miles
20.00%
Rebuilt @ circa 150,000 miles
4.62%
Rebuilt @ circa 200,000 + miles
1.03%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

**REBUILD SURVEY** Has your car had an engine rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PO had it rebuilt by a premire builder in the country after spun rod. Clearly a lubrication issue.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ras62
A bit of a pessimistic post there Frank, you could say that about any given engine ever built.
Rebuild time for me will most likely be due to broken head stud or oil consumtion / leaks. Timing of any or all of these is unknown, especially as the cars are now of an age when they do not see a huge amount of usage.
What is the latest with regard to your engine, are you doing the rebuild or are you still at the decision stage?
Apologies if it came across as pessimistic - maybe its my engine woes. It wasn't meant to be, I said "may" - meaning it's possible.

Case and point:
Answering to the poll as mine hasn't been rebuilt - is not a long term answer as it may one day happen and therefore invalidate the Poll. Variable answer.

Answering I have had a rebuild - is a long term answer since another rebuild after is less likely and therefore the poll will still be valid. Less/ non variable answer.

To cover extenuating circumstances I've asked a few questions to be answered whilst polling and for people to update as they go. Hopefully it'll be an interesting thread for people to read regarding the whole rebuild saga that these cars have rightly or wrongly a reputation for. It may give us a greater understanding of why these cars often warrant rebuilds and the causes/ findings.

Re my car, I've been prolonging the start of the rebuild - saving money for it. The rebuild will take approx 3 months so that I can spread the cost. Painfully slow progress.

Last edited by Porsche964FP; 06-04-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Frank, my white car has just turned 98k mile now and pulling strong. She has very little leak but love to get a full build like my Amazon car eventually when my Dr has time. Amazon had covered 148k but she was in fact full of life and when stripped she was all good inside. She got a full rebuild and lots of parts replaced for a peace of mind.

In the end of the day, it depends on how the car has been looked after. My uncle in HK has a 964 that has done 200k miles, and still running like a dream without a rebuild. I know a lot of these 964 leak oil, but this doesn't mean its serious or the engine needs an engine rebuild, which all new owners or potential owners are worried by. I believe through time the seals need replacing, but if people are really bothered, have a leak down test.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:26 PM
PChar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

86,300 miles and still running strong.
Just fixed leaking head gaskets, chain cover gaskets, and few dry out oil lines this past winter. Car is dry ever since.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:36 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,673 Posts

,70,000 and still doing well. Had the tranny done because 2nd synchro needed work, clutch was replaced at that time, also a slow leaky seal that would have been hard to get to with the motor in.

I would be hesitant to buy a car with rebuilt motor unless I was sure of the rebuild quality.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:50 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Top end rebuild at 81,000 miles to deal with oil leaks...upgraded to 993 Euro RS valves and Elgin Super C2 cams while I was in there. Sportcat and cup air box installed as well (already had G-pipe when I got the car). Have yet to remap the ECU but as it stands with Stage One SW chip, she pulls pretty strong...can't wait for the remap!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:09 PM
f3nr15
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Answering to the poll as mine hasn't been rebuilt - is not a long term answer as it may one day happen and therefore invalidate the Poll. Variable answer.
Not so invalid if you consider the average age of these cars to be 20 years. Therefore, you're invariably asking if our cars have required a rebuild by this point in terms of mileage and age.

What would be even more useful is for anyone who has answered "not rebuilt" to also post their current mileage.

I answered "not rebuilt", and I'm at 51K kms, ~ 31K miles.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:04 AM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I answered no but...
my first 89 had the factory "rebuild" done for leaky cylinders at about 30k miles (and lasted til beyond 230k!)
my present one is original at 120k km.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:37 AM
IanR
Racer

Current 964 ('92 Cup) - full rebuild at about 30K miles. Initially pulled apart to fix through-bolt seals (got through 0.5 litres of oil in one day on track), then it was a 'while you're there' thing. The car has been (and still is) primarily track use; we found the cylinders were worn slightly oval, so new barrels and pistons, ARP bolts, uprated valve springs, Ti retainers, new main and big end bearings etc. Now dry as a bone, uses less than a litre of oil a year (5K miles, of which 3 are on track).

Previous 964 ('90 C2) - full rebuild at about 110K miles, due to oil leaks.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:19 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine has a top engine rebuild by previous owner at 50,000 miles, due to oil leaks. Cost was $5,800.00
at Porsche Dealer. car now has 74,000 and no leaks,
Old 06-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine has 167767 kms (around 104800 miles) no rebuild yet and no signs that it would need one in the near future... but I have a big "secret account" to pay for the rebuild or top end rebuild when the need arises
Old 06-05-2012, 10:05 AM
PaulW_964
Pro

Hi Frank

Current mileage is 85k and I have recently been advised that I will need a top-end rebuild very soon. However, the car runs strong and isn't losing much oil according to the gauge or my garage floor. It does look a tad wet through the under tray and it has been suggested that the leak is from the head studs.

The car is due a 12k mile service in September and I am in two minds whether to bite the bullet and get the top-end build done at the same time.

I happily bought the car knowing it would need a rebuild of sorts at some stage. The fact that the car was in great condition and had a good PPI health check was more important to me.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulW_964
Hi Frank

Current mileage is 85k and I have recently been advised that I will need a top-end rebuild very soon.
So, this is a case in point - what are the symptoms that mean you need a top end rebuild?
Old 06-05-2012, 02:48 PM
PaulW_964
Pro

Originally Posted by Johnny G Pipe
So, this is a case in point - what are the symptoms that mean you need a top end rebuild?
Hi Johnny, well there is an occasional cloud of smoke on start-up and quite a large damp patch on the undertray. This was first pointed out at a GT One Open Day last year, whilst up on their ramp. They recommended a top-end rebuild at the time (I guess they would ).

I think it is arguable if it does in fact need doing now. I am still undecided where to or not, but was thinking if you were to do it, it kind of makes sense to do it whilst the car is in for a major service... Hmmm?
Old 06-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think before proceeding with any rebuild recommended by our trust mechanics, we need to ask the following questions:

Does it still drive OK - good power, no bad noises etc?
How much oil does it use/leak? Cost of premature rebuild versus the cost of a few litres of oil every year.

I'm all for keeping our cars in tip-top condition, and I have money set aside for a full re-build. Clearly there are exceptions that we hear about on here, but I can't help think that the rebuild worry with our engines is way OTT and predominantly oil leak driven.

Quick Reply: **REBUILD SURVEY** Has your car had an engine rebuild?