Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Has your engine been rebuilt?
No still running strong!
63.08%
Rebuilt @ circa 50,000 miles
11.28%
Rebuilt @ circa 100,000 miles
20.00%
Rebuilt @ circa 150,000 miles
4.62%
Rebuilt @ circa 200,000 + miles
1.03%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

**REBUILD SURVEY** Has your car had an engine rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 05:24 PM
PaulW_964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Roe
I think before proceeding with any rebuild recommended by our trust mechanics, we need to ask the following questions:

Does it still drive OK - good power, no bad noises etc?
How much oil does it use/leak? Cost of premature rebuild versus the cost of a few litres of oil every year.

I'm all for keeping our cars in tip-top condition, and I have money set aside for a full re-build. Clearly there are exceptions that we hear about on here, but I can't help think that the rebuild worry with our engines is way OTT and predominantly oil leak driven.
Good point well made Andy
Old 06-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulW_964
Hi Johnny, well there is an occasional cloud of smoke on start-up and quite a large damp patch on the undertray. This was first pointed out at a GT One Open Day last year, whilst up on their ramp. They recommended a top-end rebuild at the time (I guess they would ).

I think it is arguable if it does in fact need doing now. I am still undecided where to or not, but was thinking if you were to do it, it kind of makes sense to do it whilst the car is in for a major service... Hmmm?
Thanks Paul, you knew I was going to back to you on this one didnt you...! I guess others might agree with me that a cloud of smoke on start up is normal for a horizontally opposed engine - as far as I understand it worn valve guides etc is usually smoke when the engine is warm, on the overrun etc. And as for a damp patch, well that's pretty normal for a 964..(let alone any Porsche) and could be coming from a number of places with a variety of relevance to top end work..

Its of course your choice, but loads of 964s seem to leak after/despite a top end, and a major service is quite a long way from a rebuild! Big service might be £5-600 I guess (maybe more, its been a while) whereas the going price for a top end at a decent shop seems to be £2k for labour alone..
Old 06-05-2012, 08:43 PM
9six4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PO had engine rebuilt around 50,000 miles on advice from dealer. I purchased it with 78,000 miles, now at 90,000 miles and running great.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:53 PM
steve geden
Track Day

107k and still going strong. A few weeps and sweats as the mechanics say and a wee bit smokey but no need to rebuild just yet will do gearbox at same time though and some resistance between 1st and 2nd.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:52 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Rebuilt at about 100 000 km (62 000 miles) for a broken valve spring found on the oil drain plug.

Did full top and bottom ends with Pauter rods, ARP head studs, Ti retainers, Jerry Woods valve springs, new bearing, etc.

Running very strongly now (120 000 km or 75 000 miles) with not an ounce of oil either dripped or consumed.

Marc
Old 06-06-2012, 05:11 AM
PaulW_964
Pro

Originally Posted by Johnny G Pipe
Thanks Paul, you knew I was going to back to you on this one didnt you...! I guess others might agree with me that a cloud of smoke on start up is normal for a horizontally opposed engine - as far as I understand it worn valve guides etc is usually smoke when the engine is warm, on the overrun etc. And as for a damp patch, well that's pretty normal for a 964..(let alone any Porsche) and could be coming from a number of places with a variety of relevance to top end work..

Its of course your choice, but loads of 964s seem to leak after/despite a top end, and a major service is quite a long way from a rebuild! Big service might be £5-600 I guess (maybe more, its been a while) whereas the going price for a top end at a decent shop seems to be £2k for labour alone..
Cheers Johnny, yes I think I'm swaying towards waiting until it is necessary and save some money for now. Will see what my Indy says when it goes in for the Service - he's a very honest chap
Old 06-06-2012, 07:04 AM
Vic_S
Racer

PO had a Full re-build done at 92k, due to broken headstud. New clutch & tinware done as well. Now at 115k, running well with no leaks, rattles or smoke
Old 06-06-2012, 01:56 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I do not understand rebuilding just for oil leaks, unless of course the blow-by is so bad that crankcase pressure is forcing the oil out. Most of the seals can be replaced with the engine in the car. I replaced the O-rings on the oil pressure sending unit (requires intake removal) and the PS pump (since removed for conversion to manual rack). At both locations, the O-rings crumbled when I removed them from their grooves. EPDM or Silicone O-rings are a nice upgrade. I am at ~78 K miles and it runs like new. I can find a couple of wet spots, but no oil leaks large enough to drip to the garage floor.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:29 PM
naidoo2610
Instructor

This is a great thread with good information. It would be nice to get an idea of cost as well.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:00 PM
cobias1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Complete rebuild at 120k, primary reason busted head studs and no prior history to condition of engine or records. lots of non technical wrenching by myself, but install of bearings and resealing case along with valve guides done by machine shop. Waiting on new flywheel and pressure plate for total clutch rebuild also before final install in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bump for more feedback...

POLL & Questionnaire

As we all know 964s are often associated with engine rebuilds. It's something that we have to take into consideration when buying a 964 - do we:

A. Buy one with a rebuilt engine.
B. Buy one without a rebuild, with a view it may happen one day.

So in an attempt to document our experiences and come to some kind of conclusion, here is a poll to answer and if you have rebuilt/ are rebuilding - post your experiences by answering the following questions:

1. Reason for rebuild:
2. At what millage was the rebuild undertaken:
3. With hindsight what would you do differently:

Please do come back to this thread if you one day rebuild and answer the questions - the idea is to provide a long lasting survey, the more posts the more conclusive the findings.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:04 AM
DaveMc
Intermediate

Just had mine rebuilt at 116,000 miles. Primary reason was oil leaks - lots of them. Could have lived with the leaks but not with the fumes being drawn into the cabin from drips onto exhaust/exchangers near to ventilation inlet. A duff camshaft and chain tensioners were also replaced as well as some other perished stuff and a clutch which was on it's last legs. I actually thought that it ran OK beforehand but now I realise it was lumpy and didn't idle too well. It's definitely much better/smoother now and is lovely and clean. Even sounds better.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:17 PM
martin964
Intermediate

no rebuild as yet. still going strong at 119,000 miles. I have got oil leaks, and do occaisionally get fumes in the cabin from drips onto a heat-exchanger, but thats only recently started and clears very quickly.

car still feels fast and is using 1L of oil every 1500miles (although thats coming down as I only do short journeys and dont drive the car that much at the moment).

no plans to do any rebuild work in the near future (touch wood!)
Old 06-12-2012, 01:25 AM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

Purchased 89 C4 in 2006 with 130k miles on virgin motor and runs strong. Currently at 165k miles. I have significant service records back to new. I have a P/S leak I cant quite find and a few minor oil drips. Oil consumption is ~1qt/800 miles. I will need a new clutch this year so I will do a compression/leakdown and address the P/S and oil drips then.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:34 AM
ChrisD
Instructor

Haven't posted for a while, but my 964 is still alive and well.

No rebuild yet and it has covered 106,000 miles, a few oil leaks but manageable. Replaced the clutch last year, did discuss about rebuilds at the time, but my man reckoned it didn't require it yet. Still going strong and just about to embark on trip through Spain and France, so hopefully she will still begging strong when we get back

Quick Reply: **REBUILD SURVEY** Has your car had an engine rebuild?