Sponsored by:

Manual to Tiptronic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 02:49 PM
scped
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual to Tiptronic?

I know this has been done the other way around, but here goes...

There are family reasons why it would be beneficial to have a tiptronic. That said, I know this is a non-trivial undertaking (starting from a C-4).

As I am fond of this particular car, I would prefer to convert it rather than take the cheaper/faster/more logical path of selling and buying a tiptronic.

That as background.........
Anyone interested in going the other way (tip to C-4) and want to swap parts?

Any advice from those who have undertaken or considered something similar?

Thanks to all.

Cheers,
Scped
Old 05-18-2012, 02:55 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't imagine the complexity involved in such conversion, from the gauge, pedals, shifter mechanicals, computer(s)/controller(s), and everything in between.

This could be quite a conversion to be documented. Keep us posted on the outcome.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:21 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by scped
I would prefer to convert it rather than take the cheaper/faster/more logical path of selling and buying a tiptronic.
You know, I'm often of the same mind too. But in this case, I think you're crazy to try and swap it

Sell & buy another one...these cars are actually quite advanced & complex for their year, especially a C4. Not like trying to go from a stick to an auto in an old e30 3 series or something else of similar vintage...

One thing you'll have to think about is the PDAS/braking/accelerometer system. I think that would make it much more complex than even trying to convert a C2 from manual to tip.

Either way, good luck & have fun!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:03 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

There are family reasons why it would be beneficial to have a tiptronic...
code for "wife can't drive a stick?"

I can understand wanting to keep a car that you've had for a while. Good luck!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:55 PM
stinkydog
Instructor

For $13k or less, you can get a used Boxter Tip in nice shape.

Just sayin'...

Old 05-18-2012, 08:37 PM
scped
Instructor

OK - I'll share a bit more.

I started with a '90 C-4
I dropped the engine, cleaned everything and replaced every missing or wrong nut/bolt/plastic bit/decal/... on the car. I am rather attached to it, as you may imagine.

fast forward to last year

I found and bought a '92 roadster (I like the wide body look) with the implied condition I would sell the '90. The roadster is undergoing the drop/clean/replace process now (Wachuko is correct - it is a sickness). The excuse for keeping 964 #1 is to have an example of how everything should look when it is back together (weak, but working so far).

The family reasons are some drivers do not drive manual, and some do not like the stiff clutch pedal. I figure I have a shot to keep both if I convert the C-4 to a tip (keeping the roadster as a manual). There is no plausible scenario I can come up with that would allow me to buy a 3rd and sell one; or even sell the '90 and replace with a tiptronic. Converting the '90 to tip seemed like a good plan to keep 2.

Any help?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Sounds like a huge project. I would try to find someone with a tip that wants a manual. It would let you do a massive parts swap.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:14 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Maybe buying a Roadster Tip and selling the manual Roadster would be an option? You might actually come out ahead financially. I have also have a '92 Roadster from new as an anniversary present and I have the same foundness for WB Cabs. I sometimes see Roadster Tip come up for sale, so you might be able to leave the C4 alone since it is probably much more complicated to convert.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:25 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

OK - I'll share a bit more.

I started with a '90 C-4
I dropped the engine, cleaned everything and replaced every missing or wrong nut/bolt/plastic bit/decal/... on the car. I am rather attached to it, as you may imagine.

fast forward to last year

I found and bought a '92 roadster (I like the wide body look) with the implied condition I would sell the '90. The roadster is undergoing the drop/clean/replace process now (Wachuko is correct - it is a sickness). The excuse for keeping 964 #1 is to have an example of how everything should look when it is back together (weak, but working so far).

The family reasons are some drivers do not drive manual, and some do not like the stiff clutch pedal. I figure I have a shot to keep both if I convert the C-4 to a tip (keeping the roadster as a manual). There is no plausible scenario I can come up with that would allow me to buy a 3rd and sell one; or even sell the '90 and replace with a tiptronic. Converting the '90 to tip seemed like a good plan to keep 2.

Any help?
Thats a rock and a hard place!!! But do you really think the misses wouldn't throw a fit when she sees the price tag of doing an auto conversion?

Heres a better arguement to keep them, call it an investment! Be like hunny listen, the stock market is CRAZY!, CD's are worthless, but the Porsche's are like gold... supply is limited but demand is not!

I'm pretty sure this is fail proof... if she doesn't fall for that, I hear diamonds work wonders as well
Old 05-19-2012, 03:50 AM
f3nr15
Racer

1. Find a 964 in the same colour combo as your C4, but a Tip.

2. Find a seller for your C4.

3. Take your C4 out one day - "to the workshop". (Deliver to new buyer, keep old licence plates).

4. Pick up new Tip 964 - affix original licence plates and drive home.

Voila! "Conversion" complete!

Oh, such a naughty boy...
Old 05-19-2012, 04:52 AM
swaini
Instructor

Smile

subscribed

Quick Reply: Manual to Tiptronic?