Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accelerometers - anyone repairs them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:10 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Accelerometers - anyone repairs them?

I have one spare accelerometer on the shelf that kicks an error at 102Km/h. I have cleaned it to no avail.
What is the knowledge on these as of today? Is there anyone who actually knows the details of these things and can repair/diagnose/overhaul them correctly? Tore? Loren?

There is still the Ruf way of hydraulic command via turnknobs on the dash, which I would investigate if the need arises, but I still think/hope there is a way to service those before bending over to Bubba, errr Porsche for a new one.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 423 Likes on 275 Posts

+1 - would love to know. I was about to just call sunset and order new ones... I find it hard to believe you cant buy the internals from bosch directly and solder them in. They made these same accelerometers in different housing for other manufacturers...
Old 04-25-2012, 02:44 AM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

At $1700 per accelerometer I'd think there'd be an engineer amongst us that could figure out a way to make an aftermarket solution using modern day accelerometers.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:10 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Seriously, nobody?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:16 AM
stinkydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by August West
At $1700 per accelerometer I'd think there'd be an engineer amongst us that could figure out a way to make an aftermarket solution using modern day accelerometers.
No kidding... they pack 3-axis sensors into $39 smartphones these days....
Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 AM
mb911
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 38 Posts

Wow would love to make these but I know nothing about them and would have to pay an engineer to design them but maybe it could be done. I would need a spare to sample 1st
Old 04-28-2012, 04:35 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've sent a PM to Tore to see if he'd be interested in creating a plug-and-play solution...he seems to have the technical know-how to do this.

I think it's entirely conceivable that a solution could be manufactured and sold for fractions of the $1700 per unit that's listed currently. I'd think there'd be a profit margin even at, say, $200 per accelerometer.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:41 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The unique thing about the Bosch accels is that it measurems the DC acceleration you'd get around a constant radius turn. Most accels work well with AC and not well with DC. Could be a MEMs accel built on the same pendulum principle could function at DC.

Why would the accel flag an error at a constant 102 Km/h? Is the PDAS changing modes at that speed? Still seems strange.

Have you tried swapping accels to see if the problem moves with the sensor?

I did a quick search and found Dytran DC accels at $800 each. Seems the end product would be well over $1k.

Last edited by dlpalumbo; 04-28-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Did web search
Old 04-28-2012, 06:50 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

In my case, I found a replacement unit for a vey good price, and it solved the issue, but not before cleaning my accelerometer, without success.
I am looking more for the future, and I am kind of annoyed that the factory charges insane prices only because they can get away with it. Hence my hope that someone will show up that understands these things to the point of repairing them, or find a useable alternative.

Quick Reply: Accelerometers - anyone repairs them?