I want a Turbo, Selling my 964 Cab?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 832 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Actually I couldn't disagree more. My turbo and 964 are completely different experiences from every aspect including handling, acceleration, ride, clutch feel, high speed stability you name it even the ventilation system works differently. Only similarities are inside cockpit and overall shape but the turbo looks so much more aggressive.

Both have their pros and cons although IMO saying they are similar is like saying a 944 and a 928 are similar.
+1 I have both and I agree with Anthony.

BTW - The Cayman S is an interesting car with superb handling but that wasn't the question here.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts

I would love a 965. But - if I were looking for a car that is awesome to drive, in the sense that it's easy to drive fast and well balanced, etc, I would buy a cayman s or r - in a heartbeat...best car porsche makes, in my opinion.

BUT- that said - honestly- if you want an awesome car, and something uhmmm - awesome - you dont get awesome from a cayman, in the way you do from a 911 Turbo, regardless of the year - 965 or otherwise. They are just - uhm,,,awesome...Always have been.

For me - I am happy with my C4. perfect all-around car. But for Awesome, you gotta go the extra mile...so ditch the cab and get the turbo before someone convinces you otherwise...there will always be a buyer for it, so you can always resell and get another cab...
Old 03-29-2012, 03:35 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goughary
I would love a 965. But - if I were looking for a car that is awesome to drive, in the sense that it's easy to drive fast and well balanced, etc, I would buy a cayman s or r - in a heartbeat...best car porsche makes, in my opinion.

BUT- that said - honestly- if you want an awesome car, and something uhmmm - awesome - you dont get awesome from a cayman, in the way you do from a 911 Turbo, regardless of the year - 965 or otherwise. They are just - uhm,,,awesome...Always have been.

For me - I am happy with my C4. perfect all-around car. But for Awesome, you gotta go the extra mile...so ditch the cab and get the turbo before someone convinces you otherwise...there will always be a buyer for it, so you can always resell and get another cab...
very good advice.

I was looking for something in addition to my C2
Old 03-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts

truth be known - If I had a cayman and a C2, i would crash the C2 eventually. Knowing me I would get used to the balance of the cayman, and forget I was driving a 911 in the C2, and bang - tailintothewallafterthedumbliftmidcorner...
Old 03-29-2012, 11:03 PM
H2O LOL
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too have had a Cayman S and a lot of other neat cars. The 965 is the only car that has a permanent spot in the stable and that's saying a lot!
Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 PM
jody stowitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw a pretty cotton-pickin pristine red one with 14,000mi on Ebay for $60k and change. Looks like a dream answerer for you. You don't really need a house too, do you? Cheers.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:51 PM
90_C2_Cab
Instructor

Just saw a pretty cotton-pickin pristine red one with 14,000mi on Ebay for $60k and change. Looks like a dream answerer for you. You don't really need a house too, do you? Cheers.
What I really need is a 5 or 6 car garage! Even a 4 car would work for me. If I had that I'd keep the Cab.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:39 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have just been thru this moving from a C4 to a Turbo. When I went to check the Turbo out the C4 looked all plain Jane and on the drive home I was cursing how the C4 could possibly have been designed with such feeble hp. Now I have the Turbo which is pretty mint (and goes like a scolded ****) I feel like I am committing a crime against humanity whenever I cause the digits in the speedo to roll over. And the C4 which I've had for three years and driven alot, has really got under my skin. It seems to me such a very good car for driving the open road or town whereas the Turbo kinda needs to be driven hard to enjoy. I think maybe the turbo just isn't under my skin yet. It is going to be hard to part with the C4.
Good luck with the decision. You can always go back to a NA 964.
I'm sorry but I don't see how a Cayman even features in the equation. Great car, even much superior car, but that's not what it's about is it?
Old 03-30-2012, 05:21 PM
gr1275
Pro

I bought a '91 Turbo purely by accident. I went to look at a Corvette the guy had and my wife saw the Turbo and said that's what "we" want! I ended up buying it knowing absolutely nothing about them. Six years later, she would rather see me go than the car. It has been a great car to drive and enjoy. We haven't driven it as much as others but, every drive is a wonderful experience.
If you have the opportunity to drive one, I believe it will validate all the "reasons" you wanted one in the first place.
Good Luck,
Gary
Old 03-31-2012, 12:11 AM
90_C2_Cab
Instructor

Lot's of folks are making great points here. The Cayman R (which I came very close to buying) handles beautifully and is pretty quick but doesn't feel any better then the BMW 335i that I had before. My 964 Cab is not slow and looks killer with only 26k miles. It drives great (don't lift your foot in a fast turn) and is quick in its own right just not fast like a modern Cayman R or 335i or M3.

What it has is character. The Turbo 964 has Character X 10. I have, what I believe to be, one of the nicest 964 Cabriolet's in the classic Guards Red with tan interior cars out there. It is a kick *** car in every aspect but I love the look of the Turbo Coupe and the performance, at least straight line, and the looks of the fat *** back end is so much better then my current car that I may be stupid enough to spend $30k more than my current car just to have one.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:29 PM
f3nr15
Racer

I've never owned a Porsche turbo, although having come from a string of Jap turbo cars including a WRX and a Supra turbo, it's also worth considering how difficult it can be to drive sensibly in one. With my Supra turbo in particular, I always found it difficult to stay off-boost, and rarely got home without feeling guilty about something. It also resulted in a certain behavior from the other drivers around me. That said, I was much happier when I was able to buy a daily driver and relegate the Supra to weekend duties only.

I have an uncle who owns a modified 1984 930, who describes a similar love-hate relationship with it - great to own and drive, but difficult to live with in some respects.

Having said all that, I would guess that a 964 turbo would be a "weekend only" car for the majority of owners (?).

I guess the quintessential analogy is that the 911 makes a good wife, whilst the 911 Turbo is more the mistress.

Just food for thought...
Old 04-01-2012, 10:11 AM
TYPE911
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 184 Posts

I'm not sure if you want only a 1994 model. This 91 looks exceptionally clean!

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...911-turbo.html
Old 04-02-2012, 01:06 AM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Another option, keep your cab. As you said you know the car, its low miles and mint condition. Consider adding the turbo, and a few other mods to stiffen the car, add the fixed Turbo S wing and you will never look back. The new turbo technology and electronics are so far ahead of the 965 that the power gain is significant and the 964 can handle all the power you may want. your car will spring to life and you will keep up or ahead of almost any other car on the road. Again, just another option.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 832 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
There aren't that many white ones:

It's here on RL too:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...ite-black.html
Old 04-02-2012, 02:42 PM
jody stowitts
Racer

psiegel: Do you need to go to the "beefier" G50-?# transmission too, to handle the xtra power? Or only if you're getting into the competition arena?

Quick Reply: I want a Turbo, Selling my 964 Cab?