Sponsored by:

FS - 90 C4 Widebody Black/Black Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:27 AM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default FS - 90 C4 Widebody Black/Black Coupe

This is a nicely done widebody conversion on a 90 C4. Currently has 82K miles. Widebody conversion was done in 1998 by the PO using steel Turbo S rear quarter panels and steel front fenders. Fiberglass front and rear bumpers and sills were used. (I have picked up a used Turbo oem front bumper for future replacement) Paint is in good shape, with some chips in the usual places and some cracks in the paint on the bumpers. The PO records show an engine rebuild by Rick DeMan in 2000. Black interior in very good condition.
Just completed a valve adjustment, new spark plugs, oil+filter change, Redline trans fluid, all 4 new rotors and pads. Engine is very dry - no leaks. Suspension - Bilstein HD's with H&R Reds. Rear sway bar changed to 20mm. Engine mounts updated to 993 mounts. Clean title.
$21,000
I will add more photos of interior, etc.
Attached Images      

Last edited by DWS964; 03-19-2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-19-2012, 11:22 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

More pictures:

PICTURES
Old 03-20-2012, 12:40 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously want that. Trade for a 32k mile '74 911 + cash?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:53 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 655 Likes on 204 Posts

Super nice car here, everything the owner says plus more.. Excellent buy.... GLWS..

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 03-20-2012, 11:54 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Default More Info

Rick, thanks for the supporting comments.

I have been getting interest and questions from several folks here on RL (have not listed them anywhere else). I thought I would post my answers so everyone has the same info.

The WB conversion was done by Protosport, but I know nothing of them. Having done a fair amount of body work and restoration work on antiques and street rods, it appears that the job was done very well – given that the work was done in 1998 and there is no sign of any degradation of the welds or finish, etc.. I have seen a lot of work done on classics and rods that look terrible after just a short few years, even on garage queens.
I have no records that the clutch has been replaced. The clutch feels fine, but is a bit “heavy”. I didn’t know what this meant until I put a new clutch in my 92 C4, and it was definitely “light” after replacement.
The engine is VERY dry. I assume this is the result of the “engine rebuild” by Rick DeMan, and can assume the rebuild was to address the leaking cylinders of the early 964’s. I have changed the oil twice, each time with Brad Penn 20w50+0w30 blend. No new leaks.
Service records were pretty thin, so I went ahead and did the valve adjustment (a few valves were slightly tight, a couple were loose, but overall in good shape). The spark plugs were of a very nice color on all cylinders (I should have taken pictures – just threw them out), but were “worn” with large gaps. There was a definite improvement after the new plugs and valve adjustment. I did not change the caps and rotors, as they looked very clean inside, and appeared to have been perhaps recently replaced. The plug wires also looked very clean and perhaps new. There are a couple of obviously new sensors on the engine, too.
I flushed the full hydraulic system with Ate Gold, including the PDAS system and clutch – all looked good, so someone had maintained the brake system.
The HVAC system works well (servos, front and rear blowers, condenser fan, CCU dash unit,…). The AC has been converted to 134, but leaks down fairly quickly. That is on the list for this year, to replace the drier and some o-rings, and track down the leak.
I am selling it (or the other black C4...) because I don't need both cars and need to establish some equilibrium in my marriage. I really like both cars, yet each is a little different.
There are no accidents that I am aware of. Obviously there was paint work done with the WB conversion. The PO also showed me records of some repaint on the rear lid and right side, but I do not know why it was done.
No rust - as I said, the car was really clean underneath (and then I started driving it) with no rust issues. I did go out and do a sanity check after your question, and I see a little bubble around the rear window seal.
The widebody stance has been accomplished by use of Cup1 wheels with early offset (plus spacers on rear). The front suspension has not been moved to the outboard position. To do this on the C4, it will require the longer axles from the 94 C4, and this has been on my project list to do it proper. The car drives and brakes fine. Another RL'er from the UK just sold his equivalent C4 widebody conversion with the same set up, and he also experienced no problems. The front wheels are ET23 (vs ET55 for stock) and thus position the tires out to the right position to fill the fenders. The rear uses the stock C4 trailing arms. The rear wheels are ET17 (vs ET52 for stock) plus 17mm spacers, to move the tires out to fill the fenders.
The scoops/vents in the rear quarter panels are non-functional. There has been much discussion over on the 965 Turbo forum about these air scoops on the original Turbo S. The conclusion has been that they really do nothing, except perhaps cool the rear sheet metal around the engine. One company offers a kit to duct the air towards the brakes, I believe.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:28 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I might have missed it somewhere, but how many miles are on the car?
Old 03-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DWS964
This is a nicely done widebody conversion on a 90 C4. Currently has 82K miles. .....
Old 03-21-2012, 02:16 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChaseN
Seriously want that. Trade for a 32k mile '74 911 + cash?
Sounds Interesting - but, note that I need to sell a car to restore Equilibrium in my marriage. I do remind her that she is simply my First Wife, however.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:53 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can not believe that someone has not snapped up a C4 widebody with less than 100k on the clock in a desirable color combo for just over $20k. When I saw this go up I thought for sure it'd be gone in a heartbeat...

I personally think this is a steal, and if it were just 2 months ago (before I bought my BMW to DD) i'd have been all over it...
Old 03-23-2012, 01:51 AM
stinkydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I think it's just more proof that the current economy is not out of the woods, despite what the current .gov says.

On a more Rennlist-related note, I watched "The Informant" on a long flight a couple years ago... if the OP still has that car along with these black ones, I think his wife is one hell of a patient woman.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:21 AM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

FYI - deals are heating up. It's likely that the car will stay on Rennlist. Thanks for everyone's patience. Bunch of shtuff going on around here.
Yes, I still have the Informant! car. It is in the need of some repair work.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:04 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Update -
The 90 C4 WB is still available. A potential buyer invested in a PPI that went very well, but had last minute issues with finances, and had to back out.

Quick Reply: FS - 90 C4 Widebody Black/Black Coupe