Sponsored by:

Fuchs For 964...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 06:35 PM
cool911air
Instructor

Received 348 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by team illuminata
Hi Jake. We (BRAIDusa) have supplied wheels for many safari and rally 911s including plenty of 964s. May I ask what size tires you are planning to use? Most of these are running a "square" setup meaning the wheels and tires are the same specs at all four corners. 215s are a bit wider than the stock front tires and a bit narrower than the stock rear tires so you can consider what effect that has. The pre-964s safari builds might run a rear spacer to create some stagger but not all do. While I have seen 205/70-15 rally tires they are rare, the more common size being 205/65-15. Rally tires are useless in anything below 40*F by they way so they should never be used in snow or ice. There are one or two 205/70-15 All Terrain tires out there but I'm not sure what brands or if they are any good. And you all thought this was a wheel question.

Yes, most safari builds run the BFG K02 215/65-16 on 16x7 (BRAID) wheels but not all do. You could run 15x7 or 16x7 Fuchs but, as pointed out, the offsets will be about an inch lower than 964s like so they'll stick out more. The 8" Fuchs wheels will be parking in the space next to you, such is their offset (+10). That may not be a problem if you lift it and may be the look you are after. Another issue with using Fuchs is that they are all old now and likely fatigued to some degree. Assuming this car may well see some light off-road use you should also consider this aspect. The 215/65-16 has an overall diameter of 27" so is about 2" larger than the stock sizes. This means that the tire will rub on the trailing edge of the front bumper so this area has to be trimmed on these cars. Not a big deal and most people never notice. You will now though. This is not the smallest 16" AT tire available however. There is a 215/60-16 made by Yokohama that is arguably a better all round tire but doesn't have the aggressive look of the BFG, not that anyone would choose looks over performance would they It is still 26.2" diameter but that might be small enough to avoid clearencing the bumper but that will ultimately depend on suspension and wheel offset as well.

I think this is about all I have to offer but if you have any more questions let me know.
Originally Posted by TexasJake
Hello cool911air, I am very interested in your thoughts on using the originals Fuchs wheels on the 964-4. I am currently putting a Kelly Moss Racing suspension on my 1990 C4 to make it off road capable. I am exploring if it is possible to use 7x15” or 8x15” Fuchs wheels which might allow me to achieve the higher sidewall at 70 or 85 ratio needed for off road or rally tires. I still need to do more research on the caliper dimensions to see if there is a problem. I would appreciate your thoughts and experience on this. If I cannot use the Fuchs I can probably go to Braid wheels, but would prefer the Fuchs look. Thank you for any ideas.

Hi Jake, really apologize to be that late. But it seems you are in good hands. Paul has described the problem pretty well.
The offset is the issue! We use wider wings in our body kits and we modify the offset of the original Fuchs 15‘ wheels.
Braid offers customized offset for their 17 inch wheels, so you may get same service for 15 / 16 inch versions.
I suggest you go wide body, then you have a lot more options. Cheers Detlef

Quick Reply: Fuchs For 964...