Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best modern radio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Acoustics...thats why I put in an ugly Sony unit, bypassed the oem amp and upgraded the rear deck speakers..digital music is so poor in quality and top that off with the roof off I saw no sense in putting some high end unit in that will likely get stolen....I cant imagine having a MAC in the dash...there are times I dont lock the car because I would rather have them steal whatever than slice the roof ...the "locks" for the stereo have been disabled and the whole thing slides out ...I care more about the car than I do the music or the junk some thief would steal..I do have an aftermarket alarm so when the doors are opened it squeals..for what its worth
Old 03-02-2012, 02:13 PM
hamah
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
yeah - honestly - i find my C4 so accoustically challenged that sound quality is completely irrelevant at this point....I gave up after replacing the speakers and head unit - all high end (ish) stuff, and the end result is horrible sound - and in the summer, I dont use the AC, windows are open, so the radio is off anyway cuz the inside is so noisy you cant hear the radio at all...

BUT - what I do that is fun, is my daughter sits in back, she still fits thankfully, and plays movies on the ipad, and we plug that through the stereo so for her it's like a huge surround cinema experience...even though there is virtually zero stereo or front to back separation...but she LOVES it...
That's awesome!

Granted I did go overboard on the setup in my car but that's my freakish OCD nature. When I got the car it had this really poor sounding setup with a Las Vegas light show for a front panel on the HU. I could not hear a thing but buzz and rattle at any audible volume so it had to go anyway. While this new setup does sound fantastic (even in a cab...even at speed) it is really the spl that I was after. I at least needed to be able to hear something at speed.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

I hear you - no las vegas lights for me - I just wish the nakamichi i have in there could dim the orange lights...

on another note - first- I am sorry that we have completely highjacked this thread - so my appoligies there to the original poster....

second - I have my original Porsche OEM CD-2 hanging around looking for a home. The CD player doesnt work, but the radio was ok. So I replaced it. If there is anyone that needs one, can fix it, just wants radio and an original look, etc lemme know....
Old 03-02-2012, 03:01 PM
hamah
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on another note - first- I am sorry that we have completely highjacked this thread - so my appoligies there to the original poster....
yes...I also apologize but while I'm mid-hijack and off-topic does anyone have a good peanut butter chocolate chip cookie reciepe?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 PM
grankin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you take a shot of the McIntosh in the 964. I was wondering what it looked like with the rest of the dash...
Put a bunch of images up on Picasa: <https://picasaweb.google.com/107873930651662114695/Porsche02?authkey=Gv1sRgCI-7to6att7figE#> Not all those of the radio are all that wonderful, for getting fewer reflections was not all that easy with a phone's camera.

Quick Reply: Best modern radio?