Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 05:33 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts
Default New Sport - Porsche/bike/Porsche Duathlon

I've found a new sport. Porsche/bike/Porsche Duathlon

DRIVE-
I pack my road bike in the back of my car and head out to a select mountain destination. The focus of the first part of the duathlon requires me to drive the curviest roads from my home to the base of the first mountain (others may be lucky and have mountains just outside their door). The goal is to absolutely minimize highway mileage (this set of mountains was 100 easy highway miles away, I drove 30 HWY miles).

(Look what happened to pass by...the only car for miles. Gold rims and blacked-out headlight rings!)

BIKE-
Unpack your bike from the car to the stares of others in the parking lot. For this adventure I chose two climbs separated by 15 miles of aggressive rolling terrain. A perfect over and out to the first climb, then back to the base climb...pass the car*...up the mountain and take in the view. Then an awesome descent back down to the car. Probably the only part of the bike ride that I was faster on a bike than in the car?

DRIVE-
With completely blasted legs and a car full of snacks I pack the bike and start on a nice pace back home. Glad I'm no longer pedaling, I sit back and start to flow with the turns. With the race clock coming to an end, and no possibility for overtime I merge in with Sunday afternoon traffic. 50 Highway miles home.

What a day.

(* Important: park at the bottom of the climb, you'd hate to have bad luck strike and your car is parked 2000 feet above!)

Last edited by 911Jetta; 03-13-2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Great Thread!

Nothing but smiles for you!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Ghengis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks to be a beautiful place to ride.

Top marks for packing a bike into the 964 as well as all that kit.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Jr250
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty cool!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:08 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's just fantastic scenery you have there I'm very jealous.....I'm going to show the wife this post as she's had to travel from the uk to Portugal on a plane to ride the sun&mountains there for the same stuff!!... She's a keen triathlete and this might convince her that porsche's & road bikes mix & fit in the back!!

So bike in back&x2 wheels in frunk...
Old 03-12-2012, 07:10 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now THAT'S how to do it.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 433 Likes on 281 Posts

I'm really suprised yu stuck the bike inside the car - never would have thought it would fit....

Looks like a fantastic trip - I'm jealous...
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2012, 01:37 AM
touque
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
I'm really suprised yu stuck the bike inside the car - never would have thought it would fit....

I didn't think so either - nice!

Nice pics and looks like a great ride
Old 03-13-2012, 11:11 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary

Ah, you've got the right roof rack riser kit!

The back seats of this car continue to amaze me with what it will swallow, kids and all. The bike fit comfortably behind me with only having to remove the wheels and the seat post. I'm 6'2" and ride a 58 cm road bike for reference. There's still lots of room for a cooler, soft bags or wheels also (which I put my in the trunk to reduce clutter). I cover the frame and gears with a moving blanket and secure the frame by wrapping the rear seat belts around the handlebar and pedals so the bike is very secure and won't shift around in turns or during braking. The goal is to have everything locked down so I can still drive fast....

In the past I've also removed the stem/handlebars from the steer tube to reduce the size even more, that's not necessary, but it would allow you to tightly pack two bikes together for longer trips...
Keeping the bike inside is also great during those rainy drives up to the mountains, or just not worrying about the bike while in a restaurant, etc.

Here's more information on the area: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_M...th_Carolina%29

My mountain bike definitely doesn't fit inside!

Quick Reply: New Sport - Porsche/bike/Porsche Duathlon