Sponsored by:

newbie valve adjustment question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Merle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie valve adjustment question

I'm doing my first valve adjustment on my car and have a question. Is it normal to find the rocker arms too tight? I've found 4 so far on the left bank that were under the .004 clearance. I am trying both the normal and backside methods to see which one I like better and just to get a feel since thisis my first time. My background has been with small block Chevy engines with hydraulic cams so they don't usually go out of adjustment. I'm a decent wrench as my job for the last 17 years has been as an aircraft mechanic so I have a pretty good feel when it comes to using feeler gauges. My car has 92k on it and from all the records I have it looks like it hasn't had an adjustment since it was around 60k.

Last edited by Merle; 03-01-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:14 PM
P964C2
Intermediate

Well I have just done the valves on my 964 for the first time and I found most of my valves to be a bit tight. Mine had it done last 16k miles ago according to the service history, if they did it. I was told that 964 valves can tighten rather than loosen and rattle, I didn't believe them to be honest, but I do now.
I found that once I had done a few valves that I could feel the right clearance in the movement in the rocker itself, although I did all of them with a feeler gauge.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:23 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I did mine about a month ago, like yourself it was my first valve adjustment on the Porsche. Out of the 12 valves, one was a little tight, one was 0.009" and the rest were just a little loose, still adjusted them. I used the backside method and checked with a dial indicator after. Went around 3 times before I was happy.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of mine were all loose. You do want to take your time and get them deadnuts on. Are you using the feeler tip tool. or just a generic feeler guage. It is kind of a feel thing. You want the gauge in flat no binding, no pressure, just a real light touch.

I went twice around as well with a break between rounds. Valve adjust has to be as close to perfect as possible the spec is .004 +/- 0
Old 03-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Merle
Racer

Originally Posted by Makmov
Are you using the feeler tip tool. or just a generic feeler guage. It is kind of a feel thing.
I'm using the special tool with the .004 insert. I ordered it from pelican.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Makmov
Drifting

That is a long time to go with out an adjust. 12k is the service interval.

I can't tell you how to do it or if you are doing it correctly. I learned 30 years ago by doing and then having my dad go back over and tell me I didn't do it right, after about the 3rd go around I got it.

It is truly a feel thing. Once you got the feel you just know when it's right.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:29 PM
NJ_93_C2
Track Day

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take you to complete it? In other words, removing the various parts of the muffler to the actual work of the adjustment and then getting all the parts back on again. I understand that you may start and then stop and then start up again but what is the grand total time I should set aside (how many hours) ? I ask since I plan to do it myself as well and need to know how much time to set aside.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:01 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

It very much depends on how easy the exhaust comes apart, but I would count on at least 16 hours for your first valve adjustment, IF everything works out for you.
You need to get the car up on axle stands, take off the rear wheels, take out the rear blower motor assembly, disconnect the O2 sensor, take off the exhaust both sides, I took out the air box cover and filter. Then off comes the valve covers, but first clean any loose stuff in the are, you don't want any dirt fall into the engine. I loosened the six lower spark plugs to allow the engine to turn freely. Now you are ready to adjust the valves. When done you have to clean the covers install new gaskets and then close it all up. OH yes, I forgot you have to drain the oil first.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:26 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Out of curiosity, if it takes 16 hours to do your first valve adjustment, how long does it take when you've done a few of them?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I would say it takes me ~6 hours including the time to jack up, oil change, filters. Is that about what everyone else takes?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:33 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am closer to 4, but then everything's been apart a few times, and most of the under-engine stuff is gone, which helps a lot.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:43 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by August West
Out of curiosity, if it takes 16 hours to do your first valve adjustment, how long does it take when you've done a few of them?
I would say 8 hours from start to finish to do a proper job. If you are doing a full oil change at the same time, you need to wait until the engine is at ambient temp, which can take several hours.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:44 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe 6 hours at best spread over two days usually

I do not remove the tires, just back up onto ramps the night before so everything is cold in the morning.
I don't drain the oil, only 1 quart comes out.
I don't remove the air blower or the air intake box.

Go around twice. I use a dial indicator as my shim gets contorted trying to get it in there.

Last edited by stevepaa; 05-10-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:53 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by NJ_93_C2
Just out of curiosity, how long does it take you to complete it? In other words, removing the various parts of the muffler to the actual work of the adjustment and then getting all the parts back on again. I understand that you may start and then stop and then start up again but what is the grand total time I should set aside (how many hours) ? I ask since I plan to do it myself as well and need to know how much time to set aside.
Book on its 13+

Last time, and I was taking my time and double checking everything 10-11 hrs total over two days.

And I do remove the wheels, airbox, and blower.... man you must have some long skinny arms... and drain the case oil otherwise you end up with a oil mess on top of the passenger side heat exchanger.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:15 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm down to 4-5 hours now probably and that's with a lift but yes, 12 to 16 hrs first time sounds about right.

Quick Reply: newbie valve adjustment question