Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS America manual steering -- making it lighter

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the electric pump better than the manual pump. It requires two lines and some electrical connections. It eliminates the leaky power steering pump on the engine which overheats when run at a higher RPM.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:41 AM
perrew
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know the 997 cup part to mount the electric pump?
Tks P
Old 01-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Is having the electric PS pump in the tub and having a spare tire mutually exclusive?

Would it be possible to keep both?
Old 01-19-2013, 02:28 AM
gnewman
Cruisin'

Default Power steering and spare tire

Yes, you can have both......I mounted mine above abs pump (opposite of photo of red cars trunk)

I will try and post pics

Geoff
Seattle WA
Old 01-19-2013, 09:46 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Early Mini PS pumps fail and is well known. Don't bother with it - get the Porsche ones that all the experts are recommending.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gnewman
Yes, you can have both......I mounted mine above abs pump (opposite of photo of red cars trunk)

I will try and post pics

Geoff
Seattle WA
That would be great. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:46 AM
Nic914AZ
1st Gear

My first post... not sure why I hadn't joined rennlist a long time ago...

Originally Posted by RS man
Early Mini PS pumps fail and is well known. Don't bother with it - get the Porsche ones that all the experts are recommending.
Got to this thread after doing a google search, wondering if a Mini Elec Hydraulic PS pump had been retrofitted to other vehicles.

I also happen to own a 914 (and a half... as you must for parts)

My experience with the Mini pump is on an 04 Mini. Girlfriend bought it, a few days after getting the car from the Auction for what we thought was a steal, the pump suffered from a notorious ALWAYS on fail... key off and out of the ignition, no matter, the pump kept going until the battery died or you unhooked it.

After much swearing about BMW and their design fail, (I guess they had Rover design the car and Rover fought the bmw solution and lost) being that bmw placed an electric hydraulic motor under an exhaust manifold, didnt cool the PS fluid, and didn't protect protect (or remote locate) the integrated circuit board controller from the inevitable carbon dust from the electric motor (causing shorts).

http://www.modulemaster.com/en/services/mini_motors.php

The above company replaces the board with a proprietary design, seals it and rebuilds them for a very fair price then provides a 5 year warranty. Its clear when looking at their website that they have extensive experience with electronics in general. http://www.ebay.com/itm/270744931625...84.m1423.l2649
Ebay feedback (they still use a former company name on ebay) 3k 99.8% positive feedback and where they listed these rebuilds, they show having sold 110 on ebay alone.

We're happy with the rebuilt motor now over a year later and after considering the compact design, and seeing that some have used them for racing... I thought I'd bring it up that although they are known for failure, someone out there figured out how to make them better, and potentially useful to others... like Porsche guys.

Now, in regards to the 'CAN bus' ?? / data that needs to go to this pump for it to operate correctly?

Perhaps the ModuleMaster/CircuitSolutions guys have some insight they'd be willing to share if they became aware they might have more new customers for old parts
Old 02-19-2013, 05:10 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Or... save your money and alot of complication and fit a standalone electric powersteering pump from a mercedes A class. This is the pump a few others have used. I picked mine up on ebay for 94quid. Has three wires ( power(always live), ground and switched live ) They're made by VDO and even look very similar to the Porsche motorsport version. I'll do a write up on a thread once I finish replacing my entire oil system..

Quick Reply: RS America manual steering -- making it lighter