Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Claudia

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:16 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kai, apologies if you've gone in to this somewhere else but can you tell us some more about the changes you're doing to the suspension. Especially the coil overs?
Old 02-22-2012, 09:42 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
This system is the premier set-up ultilized on the 3.0L Spec 911 Series engines.
Yeah, one of the ways Spec 911 has kind of gone off the rails. I've given up on thinking I'd ever put my old '73 wannabe RS shell back together as a Spec. I don't think the class warrants more than $25K cars. You know, ones that working guys making normal bucks can get out there on the track with. But ever since Walton (co-owner of JWE) wrote the rules, and had a monied customer who wanted every advantage, Motec was allowed on the then-dominant 2.7L variants. The geniusness of this system has followed through one of the many other planet sized loopholes in the rules.

So now I'm buying a much-modified car from a guy here, and will basically transplant the whole of the driveline and suspension onto my shell. Well, my cousin actually since he has a little more time while building another 910 and finishing off his 907.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:05 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Kai, apologies if you've gone in to this somewhere else but can you tell us some more about the changes you're doing to the suspension. Especially the coil overs?
Sean, we are replacing the one year old PSS10s with a Motion Control Suspension set (MCS, see rennsport-systems.com), springs of Weiners choice and a full on ERP monoball set. Last year the evo front wheel carriers and associated hardware were installed, so the MCS/ERP parts will complete the entire package for me.

The HR anti roll bars currently in the car will remain - despite the size of the rear bar, it proved to work very well with me, and before we get really spendy we will give them a go with the new suspension.

Forgive me for not detailing the spring rates (not that they're special or uncommon), but such things are so very driver and setup dependant that what works for me in my car might not work for another; we spent countless hours working on the suspension and setup parameters. This is the joy of working with someone like Steve.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:59 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by KaiB
Sean, we are replacing the one year old PSS10s with a Motion Control Suspension set (MCS, see rennsport-systems.com), springs of Weiners choice and a full on ERP monoball set. Last year the evo front wheel carriers and associated hardware were installed, so the MCS/ERP parts will complete the entire package for me.

The HR anti roll bars currently in the car will remain - despite the size of the rear bar, it proved to work very well with me, and before we get really spendy we will give them a go with the new suspension.

Forgive me for not detailing the spring rates (not that they're special or uncommon), but such things are so very driver and setup dependant that what works for me in my car might not work for another; we spent countless hours working on the suspension and setup parameters. This is the joy of working with someone like Steve.
Thanks Kai. No worries at all, the spring rates won't be applicable for my primary Targa use anyway so I'm not offended and certain things should be kept under wraps for a season or two anyway so you can benefit from all your hard work. I'd call it IP in some respects.

Why did you move away from the PSS10s and are you planning on selling them or keeping them?

Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:08 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why did you move away from the PSS10s and are you planning on selling them or keeping them?

They sold to a fellow Rl'er about 15 minutes after I posted them here.

By the end of last season I had reached the limits of the PSS10s in some spots on some tracks - and yet they had room to go in others. For the dollar spent, they offer a lot.

We are building a ***** out race car now and when she is done, she should be as well developed as most any in the country - my pedaling notwithstanding! The PSS10s just didn't fit into the equation any longer.

The MCS dampers? We'll see, but I certainly wouldn't bet against them.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:40 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

All very interesting, thanks for the info.

Good luck with the rest of the build, mines getting close too.

Quick Reply: Claudia