Sponsored by:

Overheating in 15 minute run session

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 04:41 PM
tahoelife
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Overheating in 15 minute run session

First know that I have searched this topic but have not found a solution to my problem. When running on the track at a de my car will over heat in 15 min I have replaced the lines up to the cooler and the thermostat I can confirm the hot oil is getting there and I have wired my fan to run on high all the time at the track. I have check the oil cooler and the fins on it are clear. My guess is maybe the fins on the blow gone are dirty? Any suggestion would be great and does anyone know if you can clean the engine in the car?
Old 02-19-2012, 05:05 PM
cornerhans
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to put in another oil cooler, on the drivers side.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:12 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At what ambient temperature on track and what oil temp are you seeing?
Old 02-19-2012, 08:08 PM
tahoelife
Racer

At Kai it was only like 67-70 deg outside and it get all the way to a needle thickness below the red so 11 olock I have to quit my sessions early every time.. I have considered removing my AC and using that cooler as a secondary however I really don't feel I'm running hard enough long enough to do what it is doing??
Old 02-19-2012, 08:13 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When this happened to me, it was the thermostat. Now it runs very cool.

Hey Tahoelife - howdy neighbor!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:23 PM
cornerhans
Instructor

I piggy backed a second oil cooler behind the air condenser so that I could retain air conditioning and it works great even on hundred degree days at the track. I think there is a kit made specificaly to retain air but I made my own.
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2012, 08:24 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tahoelife
At Kai it was only like 67-70 deg outside and it get all the way to a needle thickness below the red so 11 olock I have to quit my sessions early every time.. I have considered removing my AC and using that cooler as a secondary however I really don't feel I'm running hard enough long enough to do what it is doing??
Yer correct, given these conditions, oil temp should be fine; nowhere near hot.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:33 PM
tahoelife
Racer

The piggy back is cool but since I live where I only use my AC twice a year was considering the weight loss so thanks . I am assuming I can convert my ac unit to use as a oil cooler? A@doubleurx hi and yes we are neighbors I just made move to truckee last year from kings beach I don't think it is the thermostat as I get oil up to the cooler unless maybe it is just restricted. I will say that my motor is probably dirty as it does leak and is probably adding dirt n grime from the road as no under tray. Going to try and see if I can pull the tin etc and clean best I can?. Btw cornerhans I like your look
Old 02-19-2012, 08:36 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

I would invest in a laser infared thermometer. You can point the laser through the opening on the front bumper to confirm your cooler temps.

You can also point the laser at the oil filter this will give you the engine oil temp--close but not exact.

Also, the oil lines before and after the thermostat.

This is what I did when I was trouble shooting temp issues on my SC. This will also rule out a temp gauge issue.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

At track speeds, the fan speed doesn't matter, since the cooler should be getting sufficient air flow. In fact, some folks don't even run a fan on track cars in order to maximize flow through the cooler.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:50 PM
tahoelife
Racer

@ vandit I did wad about the track speed concept before and I would agree I tried it both ways still got hot but cools down way faster after pulling off or even on cool down lap with the fan. I like the idea of trying the laser to read temps at different locations, I feel the gauge works as it moves with relevant driving and warm ups and cool downs?? I also feel it is getting hot as I can feel and my data logger shows as loss in performance.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:51 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Tahoelife: Where do you take your car for service if any? I recommend Reno Rennsport. They are doing my 964 3.8L re-build. I am picking it up this week.

My DD is my 996TT covered in the local dirt brown w/ roof box in case you see me around.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:05 PM
tahoelife
Racer

@doubleurx they serviced it last and when I can afford it they will probably do my rebuild that is desperately needed but with the lack of winter this year directly effecting my income I am on my own for awhile..
Old 02-19-2012, 09:14 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

@doubleurx they serviced it last and when I can afford it they will probably do my rebuild that is desperately needed but with the lack of winter this year directly effecting my income I am on my own for awhile..
Yes, you and everyone else up here. This winter is terrible compared to last year. They do great work though. Mat, one of the owners lives here in Truckee also. They service all my cars. I am excited to pick my C4 up this week. No more leaks! yeah!
Old 02-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 832 Likes on 513 Posts

First know that I have searched this topic but have not found a solution to my problem. When running on the track at a de my car will over heat in 15 min I have replaced the lines up to the cooler and the thermostat I can confirm the hot oil is getting there and I have wired my fan to run on high all the time at the track. I have check the oil cooler and the fins on it are clear. My guess is maybe the fins on the blow gone are dirty? Any suggestion would be great and does anyone know if you can clean the engine in the car?
Before you start modifying stuff, have someone troubleshoot the system. This does not sound right, as even at temperatures of 100 deg. F you should not be overheating. The fan actually does't make a difference when you're moving at track speed.

Quick Reply: Overheating in 15 minute run session