Sponsored by:

964 exhaust, partially uncorked, needs fine tuning

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:25 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 176 Posts
Default 964 exhaust, partially uncorked, needs fine tuning

Anybody with experience with standard primary "Cup" bypass, cat bypass, Wong chip combination:

I put a primary bypass on a couple months ago and it's great. Just got the cat bypass on last week, sounds fine. A bit louder but not bad. It really is light and looks great but now the car stinks even more than my '72 w Webers. Sure smells rich. Did it do that for your car, or will the map in my Wong chip help, (not in yet), or is it a sign that there is something else wrong? O2 sensor maybe?

I know the exhaust is probably not going to be the same as with the cat and maybe part of the problem is that I didn't get the clamps tight for good enough seals so I am getting exhaust in the cabin but they sure seemed pretty well seated. I don't want to be stinking up the place and I've heard that these cars burn clean enough to pass emissions without the cats so I think I'm missing something.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:51 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the exact same set up on mine and have never noticed any smell. I would install the SW chip and see what happens, you will definitely notice a difference in response and power.

P.S. If that is your car in the avatar, please show us some more pictures.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:18 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remove the cat and of course you're going to smell it; the job of the cat (in part) is to burn any unburned hydrocarbons (=gas...) that escape the combustion chamber.

These cars run rich; part of the reason the mileage is so dreadful. Race cat is probably a better choice.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Check your O2 Sensor

I would bet it is weak or going... or is bad. I have the primary muffler bypass, and cup pipe and I get little or no smell, but I changed the O2 sensor when I installed the bypass.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:12 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a cat bypass, primary bypass and SW chip. I smell fuel on occasion but figure that's what living a little less civilized feels like.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:27 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

The O2 sensor seemed to be fine with the stock exhaust and the Cup Pipe. No problem at all since I purchased the car until I switched to the cat bypass last week. I disconnected it in the engine bay before removing from the cat. If it wasn't reconnected right would it show as a CEL?
Old 02-09-2012, 01:34 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

'72, 2.7, glasurit Gold Metallic (original color)
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Cosmos99
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a cat bypass and primary bypass with the SW chip. When I did the swap I changed the O2 sensor because I assumed that it was 19 years old. The car runs rich ( a little soot here and there on the bumper ) and I smell some, but very little exhaust gas smell while sitting still. I assumed thats what would happen when removing the cat. Not bad at all and way less than some of the 70's muscle cars in my neighborhood.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:03 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Did this and found some leaking at the Cat-bypass/Cup Pipe joint.

"Start your car and then put something thick and non-flammable (it will get really hot within about 3 seconds so be careful)against the tail pipe, completely blocking it. If there is a leak you'll hear it right away. "

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...eak-sound.html

I ended up seeing it more than hearing it. Water vapor was easy to see in my cold car. Gotta get it sealed.

Quick Reply: 964 exhaust, partially uncorked, needs fine tuning