Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GREAT UK 964s FS... Which one would you take home?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Brideyo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
I disagree - it all depends how you look at it. A lot of people buy brand new cars at around 70K plus and a lot will depreciate by circa 30% in the first year alone... I'm not saying this is an intelligent way to buy a car - I certainly would not buy first hand but there are a lot of people who spend on their hobbies not as investments but as a fun factor. An expensive one at that.

On another note, a lot of us (I included) don't have 70K out right to buy an RS. We'd rather spend less or even the entire amount over years of ownership. A lot of us enjoy the expensive process of doing it ourselves and bespoke. Counting aside - I never ever see myself (circumstances permitting) selling my car. I bought and modified it for myself. It has my blood, sweat and tears - I didn't do what I've done to my car for another but purely for myself. My investments however are a different story as they are investments - my car isn't.

As for the white one over the red one or visa versa. There are undoubtedly significant differences between the two. For one superficially the white one has had a full rebuild IIRC. I assume that the white ones premium is associated by it needing absolutely nothing.... that all the bushes are perfect, that there is no corrosion what so ever on the heat exchangers, that all the brake/ oil etc lines are immaculate. My point being is that the descriptions on there are brief and there are probably untold amounts of quality differences between the two.

Finally - I believe strongly that the prices are reasonable with the proviso that the sum of all the modifications would cost you more were you to do it yourself. And that I believe makes the sale prices accurate. On the other hand that red Targa on BBS wheels pricing is NUTS!
All points taken on board Frank and I also look at cars as fun so what I put into them is the enjoyment of ownership but there is a point where you have to draw the line and realise that the enjoyment/cost element has gotten maybe too skewed one way and I think the similar prices of the red and white one are testament to that otherwise they would be priced differently surely ??
I bet if you said to the previous owner at the outset that he would have exceeded the cost of what he could have just gone out and bought an RS for he would have thought long and hard about it.
I'm not saying he didn't have fun doing it mind so I hope he enjoyed it but for me that would have been getting carried well away but that's me. Now that RS Targa .......WTF!
PS my aim is to get my car looking as good as yours but I hope it doesn't cost me 75k ;-)
Old 12-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Brideyo
All points taken on board Frank and I also look at cars as fun so what I put into them is the enjoyment of ownership but there is a point where you have to draw the line and realise that the enjoyment/cost element has gotten maybe too skewed one way and I think the similar prices of the red and white one are testament to that otherwise they would be priced differently surely ??
I bet if you said to the previous owner at the outset that he would have exceeded the cost of what he could have just gone out and bought an RS for he would have thought long and hard about it.
I'm not saying he didn't have fun doing it mind so I hope he enjoyed it but for me that would have been getting carried well away but that's me. Now that RS Targa .......WTF!
PS my aim is to get my car looking as good as yours but I hope it doesn't cost me 75k ;-)

I agree. At the end of the day it's all relative. Here we are talking about modified Porsches. I bet the modified Max Power guys think we're crazy and I bet we think the modified Lambo guys are crazy. We're all in different spectrums. I know my neighbour thinks I'm a sad git for washing my car weekly

All our personal values of cost justifications are wonderfully diverse - whatever our hobbies.

Thanks for the kind words - if it cost me anywhere near that much my Miss would have left me a long time ago. Not that I share my car costs with her... then again I ain't gott clue what a bag costs...

Originally Posted by bigunit_271078
but what I will say is I am right! Lol )
You probably are - I'm wrong about most things (except when I'm right)
Old 12-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Brideyo
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP

I agree. At the end of the day it's all relative. Here we are talking about modified Porsches. I bet the modified Max Power guys think we're crazy and I bet we think the modified Lambo guys are crazy. We're all in different spectrums. I know my neighbour thinks I'm a sad git for washing my car weekly

All our personal values of cost justifications are wonderfully diverse - whatever our hobbies.

Thanks for the kind words - if it cost me anywhere near that much my Miss would have left me a long time ago. Not that I share my car costs with her... then again I ain't gott clue what a bag costs...
Neither would that's where they pull the wool
Over our eyes too. The are very cunning I'm sure.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:56 PM
mf_rsr
Pro

Has the 964 turbo s been on here yet...other porsche section on pistonheads? WANT.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mf_rsr
Has the 964 turbo s been on here yet...other porsche section on pistonheads? WANT.
Errr no - post it!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:31 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This one I think

http://img.pistonheads.com.s3-eu-wes...-5809351-1.jpg

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/c...ht-1994/773814
Old 12-03-2012, 06:32 PM
mf_rsr
Pro

^^^^BANG!^^^
Old 12-03-2012, 07:10 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think what Frank is saying is that putting a lot of cash in to our cars over an extended period of time makes it OK to continue to use the cars as intended. Because a] we don't notice it, b] more importantly our wives don't notice it and c] the cars don't significantly go up in value as a result. This is precisely what many of us have done and we don't dare total up all the bills so that we don't get too precious about our toys.

Whereas, if you sink all that money into a 964 in one go it's going to hurt. So you should do it only if you are very sure that you want to build something that you are going to keep and use because that way you'll benefit from the money you put in. If you don't treat it like that and decide to sell in a few years, the only people that benefit from the build will be those who got paid to work on it and the next person to buy it.

Whoever commissioned the white C4 would have spent a huge chunk of that £70K with Jasmine early on. By selling they've clearly not benefited from putting in all that cash....so in their case, they definitely would have been better off buying an RS as it would have made a return on their investment. Of course, there could be another reason why they decided to sell after spending all that cash....they aimed for it to be a keeper but when it was done they realized that they should have started with a C2.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:17 PM
rocketdogbert
Advanced

Looks nice, but it's not a Turbo S, same as the red and white cars aren't RS Lightweights
Old 12-04-2012, 02:43 AM
Brideyo
Racer

I'm sure this is the car that's been for sale for some time and was featured in a recent Porsche mag??
Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 AM
aircooledbug
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

That is stunning!
Old 12-04-2012, 03:55 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rocketdogbert
Looks nice, but it's not a Turbo S, same as the red and white cars aren't RS Lightweights
Agreed its not a factory Turbo S

But a dealer supplied conversion with all factory parts is a step above a customer created 964 RS homage (usually without 75% of the important bits)

Its also 30k cheaper than a realo one so decent value?
Old 12-04-2012, 04:23 AM
Brideyo
Racer

Originally Posted by freedman
Agreed its not a factory Turbo S

But a dealer supplied conversion with all factory parts is a step above a customer created 964 RS homage (usually without 75% of the important bits)

Its also 30k cheaper than a realo one so decent value?
is this the car thats done 14k miles allegedly??
Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Brideyo
is this the car thats done 14k miles allegedly??
Yes

http://www.joemacari.com/All-Cars-fo...urbo-S_281.htm
Old 12-04-2012, 04:35 AM
Brideyo
Racer

Originally Posted by freedman
my memory must be going as im sure either that one or another was offered for sale int he 50's.....

Quick Reply: GREAT UK 964s FS... Which one would you take home?