Sponsored by:

wow...scam alert on autotrader!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 01:04 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,450 Likes on 2,715 Posts
Default wow...scam alert on autotrader!

i've been looking on autotrader and cars.com the past week for a P-car and came upon an ad on autotrader for a 2004 GT-3 for $23,500.

i asumed it was BS but i took the bait and emailed. *i googled the email address and there are a host of fraud alerts on this person...i noticed several other ads within the autotrader website from this person...check out the string of emails. can't believe people have taken the bait w/o looking at a car...one guy lost $31K...*start at the bottom and scroll up:

wm:
hey after some research on the internet i reported you to the seattle FBI internet division.

--- On Sat, 1/28/12, Julie D. Garver <julie.d.garver48@msn.com> wrote:

Subject: RE: 2004 Porsche 911 GT3
To: cerialephotography@yahoo.com
Date: Saturday, January 28, 2012, 3:02 PM

William,

Here is the vin WP0AC29964S692543

Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 14:12:57 -0800
To: julie.d.garver48@msn.com
CC: cerialephotography@yahoo.com

juilie...this sounds good...please send me the vin# so i can check the carfax history on the car. is everything working properly on the porsche GT-3??

william

Date: Saturday, January 28, 2012, 2:08 PM

Hello William,
First please let me explain you the process of this sale and afterwards you can decide if you want to go with it or not.
As I told you in my first email, I recently got divorced. I got a new job and moved to Topeka KS for a new start. I'm in the city but my presence won't be necessary as I prearranged the deal with PayPal. The car is also in Topeka at the shipping yard, ready to be delivered. You benefit of free delivery, having it delivered at your address in less than 5 working days. Afterwards you will have 5 days to test and inspect the car prior to make any purchase. If by any reason you find something you don't like about it, you can send it back at my expense. If you are settled in buying it I will need the following details from you: full name, address, and phone#.
Once I have your info I am going to forward it to PayPal to get things started. After that PayPal will contact you with all the information that you need in order to buy it. This will be your proof that I am a covered and legitimate seller. Waiting for your email with the requested details.
Regards

Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 14:05:56 -0800
Subject: Re: 2004 Porsche 911 GT3
To: julie.d.garver48@msn.com
CC: cerialephotography@yahoo.com

please send a phone number so i can discuss the car.

thanks,
william

Subject: 2004 Porsche 911 GT3
Date: Saturday, January 28, 2012, 1:53 PM

Hello William,
I appreciate your interest in buying my car. The Porsche is in perfect shape, never been smoked in, without scratches nor dents, and it has never been involved in any kind of accidents. I legally own a clear title, free of any liens or loans,under my name. It has 36,127 miles, for sale at $23,500. The price is below the market as I recently divorced and I don't own a driver's license, therefore I don't need it, so I'm trying to sell it as soon as possible. If you have any other questions, or need more info, please feel free to ask.

wm:
i am very interested in your car...i am a private individual not a dealer...can you pleae call me or email your phone number...thanks, william
Old 01-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

That seems to be the typical story - no need of car, quick sale, going overseas, free delivery to inspect, etc.

Marc

Quick Reply: wow...scam alert on autotrader!