Sponsored by:

Emergency engine lid release

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Don Nguyen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
You say you could not find the release behind the driver's side tail light. Is it LHD or RHD? For cars with the emergency release it will be behind the left light regardless of it being LHD or RHD. If there's no emergency release, you must have the earlier spring loaded latch so try lots of pressing and pulling on the lid to try and free it. Mine took lots of persuasion before it finally popped open. A friend couldn't get his to release but it then freed itself while driving along.
From pictures that I have of the engine bay, it seems like I do not have the circular design.

My car is left hand drive. I will try wiggling it around.

The car is at a body shop that is closing down this week, and I need to put oil in the engine to make sure that everything is running correctly. If it came down to it, I would even be willing to sacrifice the engine lid, but of course that would be worse case scenario.

-Don
Old 03-05-2012, 04:59 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, not all the later cars have it. A friend of mine just put one in his '92 at my prompting. His car even had a spare hole in the latch actuator for an extra cable.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi ,
Mine Broke when I was away with my family, and the safety one was broken as well, thank God the luggages were at the hotel.....
It was actually the back of the plastic lever that broke so the cable was loose, I clamp the outer cable with a pair of pliers and I could reopen the front boot, actually it work so well that I kept it like this for about a month, waiting for the parts, I cut of my batterie (small) when park for over a day, I then also decided to fit one(missing) for the rear lead
Old 03-09-2012, 03:14 AM
Don Nguyen
Racer

In case anyone ever gets in the same situation as I was in (broken engine lid release, no emergency release cable, and no spring loaded latch), I was able to find a way to open my engine lid/trunk without damaging anything.

On the driver side there is a hole/opening right above where the cat attaches to the primary muffler. If you can shine a line through there, you can spot the engine lid release latch where the main cable attaches to. I was able to thread a metal cloths hanger with a hook on the end and pull on the hood release. I had my rear bumper off, so this made it a lot easier to do.

-Don
Old 03-09-2012, 06:27 AM
rebp911
Intermediate

More details here
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...k-release.html

Quick Reply: Emergency engine lid release