Sponsored by:

Introducing 'Sabine' my '91 C4 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Laker - Great looking car! My cab is the same color combo and wheels.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Laker - Great looking car! My cab is the same color combo and wheels.
Originally Posted by Porsche87
I like the tan leather with the black dash. Nice car. Good to see your getting help keeping the wheels clean.
Thanks, I've always loved this color combo. Iconic Porsche. (in my mind anyway) Not too hard to find in cabs. I just give the kid a microfiber cloth and let her have at it.

Originally Posted by cobracarrera
Really nice Laker.....I like the wheels and the color you went with. Its different and makes it stand out...The combo looks excellent...The H/R greens make the car sit perfect....
Congrats on getting everything accomplished...Now you can start saving for your little ones Porsche account....She may want a turbo for her first car.......LoL...
Thanks, she's getting a Volvo wagon if she's lucky! Car does sit nice and clears my driveway when approached from an angle.

Originally Posted by f3nr15
Great post, Laker!
Sabine is lovely.
The house and scenery are sublime.
And your little girl is delightful.
You seem to have it all!
I have always felt that the 964 version of the cabriolet was better looking than any of the cabs that came prior or subsequently. Actually I came very close to buying a C4 cab last year but missed it in the end due to not having my funds sorted.
Love what you have done with the wheels and stance, I am lusting after a set of Cup I wheels but they are rare on the ground here in Australia...
Thanks, I was lucky to find Sabine with such low miles and always garaged. I've seen 993 cabrio roofs, and will go this route when the time comes.
The house is actually in a public park. It was 'only' the carriage house (below) of a 47 acre estate and happens to be on my exercise driving route. The house has an 1920s gas pump overgrown with vines. Lots of wide open space and twisty hills. The right car or wheels will pop up at random. Just need to keep watching and have funds ready, to pull the trigger.

Originally Posted by 90_C2_Cab
Your car looks great! I think I may paint my wheels the same color. Were they powder coated or painted?
Originally Posted by ja78911sc
It is about time you introduced yourself
As others have mentioned--I really like your choice of color on the cup 1's.
What is the color code?
Sabine and I were embarrassed about SUV ride height and she was a little camera shy. This wheel refinisher guy shows up in a truck which has a compressor and electric generator drop out of each side of the truck. He re-surfaces my wheels in my driveway and hands me a cup of sparkly paint and says, 'this gray would look cooler I think', so we go for it. Wheels were just painted and clear coated. Looks good from 2 feet.

Originally Posted by Greg964
Very nice! You appear to have the later improved engine with the cylinder head gaskets as evidenced by the plastic intake manifold.
from the engine number, I appear to be short of the head gasket cutover by 179 engines

"engines that are susceptible to a cylinder head to cylinder leaking problem. The early cars were those built up to 62 M 06836, M64.01 for the manual transmission cars and 62 M 52757, M64.02 for the Tiptronic cars."

Bruce Anderson's Porsche 911 Performance Handbook.

Originally Posted by RicardoD
C4 cab! Very nice. You really did a great job updating this car to top condition. Tasteful updates.
I see the fire extinguisher in your car, that reminds me to get a small one installed in mine.
thanks !
safety first.... plus the red matches! Would dread any type of fire. Here are the details
Attached Images    

Last edited by Laker; 02-16-2012 at 02:25 AM. Reason: engine #
Old 01-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Laker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Laker
90_C2_Cab,
The cab is a whole different animal due to the roof folding behind the rear 'seats'. Coupes and Targas have the 3rd LATCH point hidden behind the seats, but Cabs do not since the folding roof will interfere with any straps attached to the rear wall. I had my Mechanic fabricate a steel bar that runs behind the rear seats along the bottom and uses existing bolts. This bar acts at the 3rd LATCH point for the car seat (Cosco Scenera) as well as the shoulder strap mount points for a harness.

I also have a bracket bolted to the seat pan beneath the rear seat cushions as an anchor point for the sub (crotch) belt, but that was done after this picture was taken.
Originally Posted by 90_C2_Cab
Laker,

Thanks for the info. Can you post a pick of this bar you're talking about? I meant to ask you before about it but forgot you had made something. I have a nice welder and a lot of metal fabrication tools so I could probably make it myself but what does it bolt to?
The metal bar goes behind the seats along the path indicated in light blue, raised about 1 1/2 inch off the bottom carpet. At two points, almost in the middle of each rear seat, there is an extra tab welded to the bar that screws to the floor on the bottom and has an eyelet for a LATCH hook at the top. These holes are already existing in the cab floor behind the rear seats, underneath the carpet.

At either end of the rear seats, the bar has a bracket welded 90 degrees at each end and this bracket is bolted permanently to the seats, with the rear seats in the up position (last picture) providing 4 total mounting points to the car.
Attached Images     

Last edited by Laker; 03-14-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:13 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

^^^^^^^^^
Great work! Good to see the little ones can enjoy the Porsche too.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:28 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice Ride...Congrats
Old 02-10-2012, 12:27 AM
90_C2_Cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool idea. I may fab something up like this for mine.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Folks,
15 or 16 months ago, I found Sabine on Craigslist, she was only 20 miles away.
Hi Laker,

Great write up - car looks great!

Quick question on your front number plate you have round 'badges' - what are these? I've seen them on a quite a few German ones...

Cheers,
Old 02-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Laker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Hi Laker,

Great write up - car looks great!

Quick question on your front number plate you have round 'badges' - what are these? I've seen them on a quite a few German ones...

Cheers,
Thanks Frank,
It's for some sort of annual registration token or road tax. If there is any residual value / time left in them when the car is taken off the road the owner will pull the badge, which explains why one is missing on mine.
Maybe one of the Germans on the board can clarify

Last edited by Laker; 02-10-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Frank,
It's for some sort of annual registration token or road tax. If there is any residual value / time left in them when the car is taken off the road the owner will pull the badge, which explains why one is missing on mine.
Maybe one of the Germans on the board can clarify
Thanks!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:36 AM
vasculardoc
Instructor

The metal bar goes behind the seats along the path indicated in light blue, raised about 1 1/2 inch off the bottom carpet. At two points, almost in the middle of each rear seat, there is an extra tab welded to the bar that screws to the floor on the bottom and has an eyelet for a LATCH hook at the top. These holes are already existing in the cab floor behind the rear seats, underneath the carpet.

At either end of the rear seats, the bar has a bracket welded 90 degrees at each end and this bracket is bolted permanently to the seats, with the rear seats in the up position (last picture) providing 4 total mounting points
Laker, I would love the specs on this. I have always hated the compromise I have had to put up with. I do have the problem that at some stage in the past the rear seats have been taken out and I need to source a new set, but once I have a 4 point solution would be amazing. They look the "dogs bollocks" !
Old 02-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Laker
Drifting

Originally Posted by vasculardoc
Laker, I would love the specs on this. I have always hated the compromise I have had to put up with. I do have the problem that at some stage in the past the rear seats have been taken out and I need to source a new set, but once I have a 4 point solution would be amazing. They look the "dogs bollocks" !
Doc-
I've asked my mechanic for the bar specs. Hopefully he saved them as I don't want to rip it out to measure. Will let you know either way.

edit: Wrench's reply:

Unfortunately I didn't keep any of my notes from building the child seat bar. It was really more on the fly than exacting measurements. I made the side bars first bolted them in measured the distance between for the cross bar, marked and welded that section together, made center anchors reinstalled bar, marked, removed, welded, painted, done. Pretty simple really, just time consuming. Hope this helps our fellow P car nuts. Talk with you soon.

Last edited by Laker; 03-14-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: updated with email from wrench
Old 08-15-2013, 01:07 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Hi Laker,

I was just wondering how your 5 (probably 6 or 7) year old gets on with the 4 point harness. It looks like an adult harness.

We make a child's version of this harness if it's of any interest. suitable from about 4 to 12 years of age.

I See have had a bar fabricated to provide the upper support, that's a neat idea.

The issue with the Cab version of all the 911's is how the the roof folds down behind the back seats. This then means you cannot use the rear shelf to anchor the top mounts of the harness.

If there is anyone who is looking for a harness solution for their 911 cab (3.2, 964, 993) and they are UK (especially London area) and is happy to be part of an experiment to find the best solutions, please let me know and we will look at the options.

This is a link to our website (in need of serious updating). It will give you an idea of where I come from. www.Quickfitsbs.com
There is not a great deal of info on the child restraints on the website but this is an area we have worked in for 50 odd years.
In the past we have found many solutions to child restraint solutions for many types of cars, it's not so easy these days with the bigger child seat designs and solutions found are now out of production, but we would be happy to look at these cars again to find solutions to the problem.

Quick Reply: Introducing 'Sabine' my '91 C4 Cab