Sponsored by:

Hawk's pre-Holiday post

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 09:52 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hawk's pre-Holiday post

well, the Christmas holiday is upon us in just barely another week. It doesn't seem like the year has flown by; too many things not done this year. One thing done though, was my wheel bearings last night! Had one singing at me, so I changed em both last night. I think I did them almost as quickly as a brake job!

I've been working on updating/changing my website since I'm going to put myself into a bridal show next month as a vendor - only 2 other photographers in it right now. This will be my first, and i'm hoping to fill a calendar spot or 6 for next year. The website is taking a lot of time, because now I have to go back thru old photos and find suitable content to populate my galleries.

So, not much else. I looked at the Porsche last night. It's on the battery charger/maintainer now, so at least I'll have some juice when I need to play around with my starting issue.

What about you- what's new, what's on the list?
Old 12-16-2011, 10:09 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wuzzup Hawk?

All remains calm here in Bugtussle. The shop is empty as Claudia is with Weiner/Gamroth. Engine is out as of yesterday and all I can do is dream about the spring and the V2.1 car.

Horseradish harvested and processed, last of the black walnuts put up and firewood all ricked up.

Time to lick my wounds and spend time for others.

We are off to Columbia, MO to pick up our new PUPPY on Boxing Day. Both of us are excited beyond belief!!!
Old 12-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

We had our kitchen remodeled over the past two weeks, and the entire house is under 1/8 inch of dust.
Now it's time to clean-up and unpack a lot of boxes. The P-car has been with the wrench the whole time as she normally sleeps underneath the kitchen in the garage which took on the add'l role of warehouse and workshop for the kitchen project. Once Sabine comes home with her new ride height, I'll do proper introductions.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:43 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Laker, sounds like 2 new upgrades that should be well worth the wait. Kai, Sounds like a sweet project too. boxing day? Sounds like a UK thing. Never really heard that here in the midwest.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

My vacation last work day this year is next Monday. I'm looking forward to a break.

My Saturday will be spent helping a friend change his pads and rotors on his wife's minivan. I'm told they are very worn. Hoping that's all it is and nothing more drastic. Sunday will be spent hosting my GF's 50th wedding anniversary. The GF is spending today baking cup cakes and baking a special cake for the event. My role will be to act as "gopher boy" and handle the audio-visuals. I will be setting up a laptop with a projector to show a slide show.

During the holidays, my mom is flying in from Ohio for a week long visit. Looking forward to that. She bought me a additional light for my garage/workshop. I will be hanging it in the 3rd bay. The 964's are stored in the other two bays but during the winter I use the last bay for work on the daily drivers and my friends cars. A little more lighting will be helpful. Beyond that, I will be cleaning and prepping the 964 engine accessories and tin while the engine parts are at the machine shop.

Laker - Would love to see photos of the finished kitchen and the new suspension.

Hawk - Good luck with the website and trade show.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:08 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

World's slowest valve adjustment continues for me. I am trying to put the car back together but didn't like the look of my engine tins with some surface rust starting. So I looked into sandblast and powerboat but that is too expensive around here, $125 just to get the job started. I am going to sandpaper and wire wheel and then use Duplicolor self-etching primer followed by Duplicolor semi-gloss black engine enamel. I've read good things about that combination on other forums. Goal is to have my car on the road again by the new year.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:19 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,899 Likes on 2,895 Posts

hello hawk...you may remember me from the 964 board a couple of years ago. i'm a photographer in seattle...i sold the 964 and recently purchased a 996 which i'm real happy with.

just wanted to chime in and wish everyone a safe holiday!

regards,
william
Old 12-16-2011, 01:33 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Hawk - did you take photos (surely you have a camera around somewhere) of the wheel bearing change? No pictures = it didn't happen.

KaiB - new puppy? That's a great thing for almost anyone. My puppy "Renn" has progressed into a 112 lb puppy over the past 10 months. And my wife's puppy "Mia Portia" has only grown to 65 lbs. It required two puppies to replace my old buddy Nick who died in February. Nick used to go for rides with me in the C4. Not sure Renn will fit.

Ricardo - I am pleased to watch someone else who is as slow as me. I have found that the two most difficult steps in any of my projects are: 1. Starting It 2. Finishing It

Officially I am on vacation starting Monday through the end of the year, but you will still find me at work now and then. (see point #2 above)

Still planning to do oil changes and valve adjustments on both cars in the near future. (see point #1 above)

Santa is watching! Better be good!
Old 12-16-2011, 01:36 PM
hawk911
Race Car

You're still welcome here William Any fellow photog is always welcome in my book. Thanks for the wishes Rob. It's a big step up in my game, and the website is looking way better. I still have a few things I don't quite like yet, but it's 100x better than the old.

Ricardo, ship the parts back home to the midwest- there's lot of cheaper places around.

Darrell, it was only on my Pontiac, nothing to get all excited about. 5 bolts and a nut.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

+1 on the powder coating prices. I had all of my engine tin powder coated for $120 for 8 pieces. Shop around. I'm sure you can find something locally. But I'm sure your other method would be fine too.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:42 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

I think my issue is my desire for local drop off and pick up. I think should easily be able to get both parts sand blasted and powder coated for less than $100.

Update: Just found a good place on the cheaper side of the mountain (Santa Cruz) who should be able to do my parts for $40.

http://www.sandspowdercoating.com/index.html
Old 12-16-2011, 02:48 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

hawk...if its any help i messed around w/a new website a few months ago...here is the template...still working on it just haven't had time. www.cerialephotography.com
Old 12-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RicardoD
I think my issue is my desire for local drop off and pick up. I think should easily be able to get both parts sand blasted and powder coated for less than $100.

Update: Just found a good place on the cheaper side of the mountain (Santa Cruz) who should be able to do my parts for $40.

http://www.sandspowdercoating.com/index.html
Ricardo = My local shop charges $20 per part too. Glad you may have found someone local.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:07 PM
hawk911
Race Car

William, I'm building it with a wordpress theme. I really like the modern look to it. I can add albums easily, and can do pages inside Galleries if I need to.

Since we're sharing, Here's mine: hawkphotos.com
Old 12-16-2011, 05:53 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

HAWK: years ago when i retired from the fashion photog industry i was able to charge $2500 for a wedding no problem and had more business than i could handle.
in todays seattle photo market, everyone and their mother thinks they are a photographer and the competition is fierce. only a handful of photographers charge more than $1000 to do a 6 hour wedding shoot.

fortunately i don't have to compete these days as i purchased apt. buildings and of rental houses 20 years ago and shoot a wedding occasionally to keep the dust off my cameras.

as your website indicates $1800 to shoot an 8 hour wedding, i might rethink this price point...you may be better off putting togther a 6 hour package including engagement photos for say $1195. or skip the engagment photos and ask $995. brides love engagement pics...better to book 30 $995 weddings than 4 $1800 weddings...more weddings you shoot the more word of mouth and business will snowball if your good and consistant....these days your strategy has to be different. too many people want inexpensive photography and are less concerned w/quality. its unfortunate but true. don't waste your time doing proofs...just include a cd of all images but maybe ad a video....not sure if your into it but another great hook is to shoot video using a small flip camera...i do this with all the weddings i shoot. i slip it in my pocket and shoot during the wedding and then it takes about 30 minutes for me to edit...i have my degree in photog and film so i have a bit more experience at it but you'd pick it up in no time...i shoot them to look like super 8 films...brides love these videos and i include them at no charge.

Quick Reply: Hawk's pre-Holiday post