Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower front spring perch for bilstein HD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Been around and around with this. This is where I am:

Option 1 - have new threads machined into the shock body below the current threaded area
Option 2 - have someone make up some lowering collars (you can buy collars that look like they are lowering collars, but they are just tall versions of what comes with the shock already, but designed to keep the spring in place when jacking up).
Option 3 - buy new - shorter -springs. I don't know where to start with this, most mass market stuff is described as -30mm or -40mm, not much diffference. Don't really want to change out the rear set up
Option 4 - cut existing springs. I'm afraid this is looking like a least worse option. Cheap, quick, keeps the same spring rate. Just seems a bit of a bodge on such a fine car...

Old 11-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do not cut the springs, sure way to ruin your suspension. I'm in the same boat, but I think I will just either switch springs or do a coilover setup instead.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:25 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can always add some threads. Sourcing a new perch would be better but I couldn't find one so I took matters into my own hands

M52 X 1.5. They are cut threads from factory so adding some more on shock body is fine.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:42 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Progressive rate springs (H&R green and red) have extra dead coils on the top/bottom that essentially flatten when the weight of the car is on them. *I think* cutting into those coils won't alter the spring rate.

Any thoughts on this? I might be looking into this option too- front and rear.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Mike K
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got off the phone with Fvd Brombacher and they have the parts listed incorrectly as rear lowering collars when according to Rhonda (sales rep) there was confusion in translation from German to English. Part #115 110 015 listed for $76.27 but Rennlist price is $68.64ea.
http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/96...g_Springs.html
Old 11-14-2013, 07:02 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Woah great find! These will fit the front Bilstein HD struts? Did she say how much additional lowering they will provide? Looks like 1-2" from the photo.

I'll ring them in the morning to check.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:24 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

I love shops that take pride in their products. Talked to Rhonda at FVD/Florida, she contacted "Mr. Brombacher". These front collars lower an additional 1.5" and will fit the Bilstein 2" shock body thread (includes our HD's). Plenty in stock in Germany, and their shipments to Florida happen every Friday.

Ordering them up now!
Old 11-15-2013, 01:37 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a cracking find those look just the job I would like to get my front down a bit but also maxed out, time to get the credit card out
Old 11-15-2013, 01:43 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

I have RUF HD Bilsteins and what look like RUF springs. I had the ride height lowered as far as I could, but still not happy. The next step was to fit H&R Springs.

When the car was up on the lift I noticed that the front strut had no more thread left but the rear had more to go. Does lowering the front more with these perches allow the whole car to be lowered without affecting the handling? In other words will the springs still work properly?
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Yea, the spring will still work properly, you just gotta consider how much compression travel the car has and how much spring rate the car has. If you're running really low and the springs don't have enough rate, you may find yourself running on the bumpstops when the road gets rough or when you really load up the suspension in corners.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:23 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
Yea, the spring will still work properly, you just gotta consider how much compression travel the car has and how much spring rate the car has. If you're running really low and the springs don't have enough rate, you may find yourself running on the bumpstops when the road gets rough or when you really load up the suspension in corners.
Thanks. I'll have to do some more research. My car is mainly track use. When you figure fitting costs and a new alignment set up, it may still be better to go with new springs with a known outcome. Really need to find out what is on the car now. There are no markings on the springs.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oooh, those seem like a viable option. Sucks to say they won't work for me, I went through a pretty big dip a week ago and the tires left a bad rub mark on the passenger side fender lip. So I think if I lower a bit more it would not be wise unless I get slightly stiffer springs than these Eibachs. Other option is more camber.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:40 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I have Koni FSD's on Eibach sport springs and had to do collars to RAISE the ride height. Otherwise I would have ended up with a bit lower than rs specs. I've got it at 145mm about 20mm lower than ROW. No bottoming and good handling. These cars handle great at RS specs , but they bottom at that height.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike K
Just got off the phone with Fvd Brombacher and they have the parts listed incorrectly as rear lowering collars when according to Rhonda (sales rep) there was confusion in translation from German to English. Part #115 110 015 listed for $76.27 but Rennlist price is $68.64ea.
http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/96...g_Springs.html
Woop! They had to be out there somewhere. And a 'Rennlist price' too.

Thanks..(Nick, we got there in the end)
Old 11-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

edit - there is going to be no lockring that is workable for this - anyone have any concerns?

Quick Reply: Lower front spring perch for bilstein HD?