Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake job going down the slippery slope

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:39 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you please buy a new one of these .. the Genuine Porshe plastic part is $9 from pelicanparts .........

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...0%281974-89%29

Old 02-15-2012, 08:25 PM
PChar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sml
can you please buy a new one of these .. the Genuine Porshe plastic part is $9 from pelicanparts .........

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...0%281974-89%29

Why,...? does this upgrade adds horsepower
Old 02-15-2012, 08:32 PM
PChar
Racer

Originally Posted by Gus
- Understand - Sorry, brain fart - forgot you needed to unlatch the door to open.
Hey, can you expand on the backside method of adjusting valve - have not heard that term / method before.
Gus, I am not much of a teacher but from what I gather the back side is easier since it uses two long feeler gauge that looks like a hack saw blade. One that is 0.025" and the other 0.05" which you insert under the rocker not the valve seat. This way you can see if it is "GO" " or "NO GO" situation.

I think other have made very good explanantion as well. Each have their own version of the backside method but ultimately from the same principle.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:02 PM
PChar
Racer

It has been awhile since my last post. So much happened in just a few weeks. I had to attend my grand mother and my mother's funerals in only 1 month apart both in Canada. This was completely unexpected.

However, since then the motor was put back together a shinny squeaky clean.

I ended up doing a clutch job "while your in there" kinda thing. Turns out I already had a Lighweight flywheel. The clutch was a bit slipping so a new kit minus Flywheel was ordered. All I had to do was sorta clean the matting surface with a 3m pad to a smooth surface.

Also a RS single belt bulley from Rothsport was installed. I though of using the Rothsport crank pulley as well but didn't find enough info to justified the bennefits/cost.
Attached Images    
Old 03-17-2012, 02:11 PM
PChar
Racer

Ok, now the bad,...

After everything went back into the car, It started right up and went for a nice ride. To my surprise, the car ran good and the clutch was very clamping good and provided good accelerartion.

After only 20 minutes or so, driving around thge block, I heard a lot pop and the clutch pedal went right to the floor. Without hesitation I headed home in first, pull into the driveway and turn it ogff. I then pry the pedal back with my end, and was hopping for the roll pin in the clutch pedal assembly to have broken.

To my sad discontent, I found that it was altogether different. The clutch for mounting boss into the bellhousing fail and broke off.

Last night after work and this moring with help of a fellow Reisentoter we removed the engine and trans once more to assess the damages.

In some way, I was lucky because the new clutch disc and pressure plate were completely untouched.
Attached Images   
Old 04-08-2012, 02:22 PM
PChar
Racer

It has been a couple of weeks since my last update/post.
After my misfurtune with the transmission, see this link for more details and lesson learn:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ng-boss-3.html

I then moved on and re-installed everything where it belongs. I left out the A/C compressor to loose some weight and went with a single belt Rothsport fan pulley.
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2012, 02:31 PM
PChar
Racer

This weekend I had a little bit of time before my 4 wheel alignment on Tuesday (can't wait to take her for a real ride after this long winter update), and ended up taking the shark fins out for a respray. They were pitted from normal driving around. So I just wet sanded them with 500 grit, then 1000 grit, clean, spary some adhesive promoter, then basecoat and clearcoat.

Et Voila,... I also picked up a 3.8 RSR front lip from Rennspeed and spayed it as well.
Attached Images   
Old 04-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Question 3.8 Front Lip Spoiler?

will it fit without removing the plastic valences? Have you tried (trial run?) Just curious.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:38 PM
J81 JKR
Pro

Hey Stephane,

Looking good- interested to see how the rennspeed lip looks when it's on, especially in midnight blue

Dylan
Old 04-19-2012, 10:28 PM
PChar
Racer

Originally Posted by J81 JKR
Hey Stephane,

Looking good- interested to see how the rennspeed lip looks when it's on, especially in midnight blue

Dylan
Dylan, here it is installed. I didnt have to get rid of the plastic valence. The lip is sandwiched between the valence and the bumper. SAll I did was to cut/remove the two plastic tabs on the edge of the valence (thos that insert into the bottom of the bumper) to ease the installation.
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2012, 01:36 AM
90_C2_Cab
Instructor

Stephane,

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother and grandmother. My thoughts are with you and them. On the topic of your car it looks great! I'm still driving around on your old Cup 1's and loving my car. You have inspired many of us with your dedication to rebuilding much of your car over the winter. I hope you can enjoy the efforts of your labor soon. I love the new look of your wheels and tires.

Dan
Old 04-20-2012, 12:23 PM
PChar
Racer

Thank you Dan for the good words, very much appreciated.

I am out to Hershey Swap Meet tomorrow, and to the opening season of Autocross on Sunday. Can't wait to see what my time difference will be from last year, but with a much more different set up.

Quick Reply: Brake job going down the slippery slope