Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake job going down the slippery slope

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:25 PM
PChar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While waiting for misceleneous parts and seat brackets, I spent my entire weekend removing old roted oil lines, and scubing oily dirt from the inner fender. I am also replacing the oil level sender unit, and all of the soft oil lines/hoses. They are all 19 years of age and some showed signed of leakage/sweating. This is a major pain in the ***, since most of my oil lines were corroded beyond belief. I had to use a reciprocating saw to cut the old soft line that run all around the fender well. The swivel nut was so corroded I could take it off with two wrenches. I have dissasembled the oil filter housing and still can't brake the remainder of the hose loose.

Any Idea.
Attached Images    
Old 01-16-2012, 08:53 PM
PChar
Racer

This job is harder than it looks. I have scapped a few knuckles and left blood on the floor. I followed Wachuko's tread, and as he mentioned this is a real PITA. I have replaced five oil lines/hoses, the oil sender unit and need my hose clamps to finish the job (on order from Pelican Parts). Hopefully the leaks at the oil filter housing and from the long roted hose running from the thermostat to the top of the wheel well are fixed.
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2012, 09:11 PM
PChar
Racer

This weekend I also received my refresh gauges from North Hollywood Speedo, they look realy great. It made a huge improvement from before. The glass were removed and cleaned, the small one the glass was apparently beyond cleaning and they replaced it. The oil temp and pressure, they had to replace the face plate in addition to cleaning the glass. It appears that heat is generated and overtime the thin paper covering the lights begin to delaminate. On the other hand each OEM Porsche face plate costs the same
as an entire set of aftermarket colored face plate.

I am happy with the results.
Attached Images     
Old 01-16-2012, 09:33 PM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PChar
This weekend I also received my refresh gauges from North Hollywood Speedo, they look realy great. It made a huge improvement from before. The glass were removed and cleaned, the small one the glass was apparently beyond cleaning and they replaced it. The oil temp and pressure, they had to replace the face plate in addition to cleaning the glass. It appears that heat is generated and overtime the thin paper covering the lights begin to delaminate. On the other hand each OEM Porsche face plate costs the same
as an entire set of aftermarket colored face plate.

I am happy with the results.
May I know how much does it cost?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:14 AM
90_C2_Cab
Instructor

What a great improvement! I am lucky in that my gauges are in pretty nice shape but I've seen beautiful cars with crappy gauges and it just ruined the look of the car. You should post the contact info for these guys as I'm sure there are lots of folks on here who could benefit from this service.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 AM
PChar
Racer

Originally Posted by power_up
May I know how much does it cost?
Glass Cleaning: $35
Glass Replacement: $45
New VDO face plate (each gauge): $150

North Hollywood Speedo
6111 Lankershim Blvd.
North Hollywood, CA 91606
Tel. 818-761-5136 Fax. 818-761-4857

http://www.nhspeedometer.com/

Great service and knowledgeable staff.

No affiliation, I just used them in the past and had good result at an affordable price.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:49 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow. Great thread, great work! You've also done a great job of convincing me not to buy another old Porsche...

Old 01-18-2012, 08:44 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you know the weight of them new and very good looking wheels?

They look like the race type that the jap cars use, i take it they make them in the correct widths for r cars.
I like a lot!

When i bought my car it had cup reps, mega heavy.
I lost it on a bend, hit a kurb ect;
Slightly bent a rim, decided on sum light weight wheels.
Did sum searching and strugled to find good lightweight rims in my pricebracket.
Ended up with sum multispoke early boxster rims, oe quality and a good weight.
To be honest havent noticed any performance increases, unsprung weight?
Have you noticed any improvments with the wheels? Before and after?
Thats if youve even drove it?

Last edited by 964russ; 10-02-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:45 PM
PChar
Racer

Originally Posted by 964russ
Do you know the weight of them new and very good looking wheels?

They look like the race type that the jap cars use, i take it they make them in the correct widths for r cars.
I like a lot!

When i bought my car it had cup reps, mega heavy.
I lost it on a bend, hit a kurb ect;
Slightly bent a rim, decided on sum light weight wheels.
Did sum searching and strugled to find good lightweight rims in my pricebracket.
Ended up with sum multispoke early boxster rims, oe quality and a good weight.
To be honest havent noticed any performance increases, unsprung weight?
Have you noticed any improvments with the wheels? Before and after?
Thats if youve even drove it?
964russ, there is already a mega tread on these OZ Aleggeritta wheels posted by sml, very informative. Yes I had too the CUP 1 Replica (Mille Miglia) which were heavier than Porsche CUP 1. These are even lighther than the Porsche Cup wheels by several pounds.

I have not had a chance to take them yet for a spin, as my car is still sitting on jack stand for a heavy winter refurb,..
Old 01-29-2012, 05:52 PM
PChar
Racer

It has been a while since my last update. I have been busy with work but also with other small task. I didn't like the few leaks from my valve cover and the chain case cover, so I decided to take the engine out and do a thorough cleaning and fixing the few leaks and odds and ends needing replacement.

Yes my wife also believe I am insane cleaning the transmission with a tootbrush,...
Attached Images      
Old 01-29-2012, 10:10 PM
90_C2_Cab
Instructor

This is the craziest brake job thread of all time. I know there are a lot of us watching you and feeling jealous or lazy. I just put new suspension on my car and feel guilty now that I'm stopping there! You are going to have a brand new car when you're finished with your brake job in 2013.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Mark Brook
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Inspirational !

Cheers,

Mark '90 C2.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:10 PM
PChar
Racer

Originally Posted by 90_C2_Cab
You are going to have a brand new car when you're finished with your brake job in 2013.
Thanks Dan and Mark for the words of encouragement. I am hoping to have a car that will be just as good as new, and problem free for years since I am planning on keeping it for a very long time.

Yesterday I received my new shift rod from FD motorsport. This shift rod is a modify version of the OEM rod with a different union/coupler that allow for tight and crisp shifting. This is what they call the "Golden Rod". As you can see in the picture the OEM coupler bushing become stretched and loose, which create some play in the shifting pattern, like difficulties finding your gear while shifting. See the photo which is worth a thousand words,…

I simply removed the forehaft rod and the shifting rod which has to be sent back to FD motorsport since you pay for care charge when you purchase a Golden Rod. I removed the old dried out bushings from the forehaft rod (removable ball cup) grease the insert with white lithium grease and reinstall.

The reinstall was not an easy task, as pressing the rod against the shift stick ball gave me more headache than anything else. But in the end I used my floor jack and a few wood blocks and slowly push the ball cup from the forehaft rod onto the shift stick ball end.
Attached Images    
Old 01-31-2012, 09:17 PM
PChar
Racer

I am now working on cleaning up the engine and Idecided to start with the intake assembly, which obviously suffered overfill from the previous owner. The intake plenum was covered of gunk and dried out oil, and the inside of it wasn't much better. When I removed it from their repective ports some oil came out and the inside was smeared with oil. What a mess.
Attached Images   
Old 02-12-2012, 08:22 PM
s4magman
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice job Stephane! I enjoy following this story. Any more updates?

Quick Reply: Brake job going down the slippery slope