Brake job going down the slippery slope

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:02 AM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Oh No!

I wish I had not seen the pictures of you putting the suspension bushings in.... will order mine tomorrow... I know she needs them... Thanks a lot!
Old 12-01-2011, 02:19 PM
PChar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 90_C2_Cab
Oh and thanks Stephane for getting my wheels ready to ship! I know that's probably the last thing you wanted to mess with right now!

Dan
Dan not a problem, I sent you an email with the tracking #s

I am mostly dealing with TR for my next wheels and Tires and the frustration is at its peak right now. What's the deal with Tire Rack,...? I placed an order and last night received a call from one of their Rep to tell me that they don't have all of the wheels and tires in one warehouse, and that they can't comingle everything in one place. I was told an ETA for delivery of 8-10 weeks,... WTF

My car sits on "Jenga" blocks right now and I also wanted to pull the engine out, but cant do it untill I have wheels on them.

I may be able to sort out the deal if I drop the Hankook R-S3 for a different set of tires. Khumo were also out of the equation no go. What else out there in the 140 - 180 no greater than 200 treadware,..?

I have no wheels as it stands right now.

Thanks for any help
Stephane
Old 12-01-2011, 02:23 PM
PChar
Racer

Originally Posted by Laker
just wondering, how did you ship them and how much did it cost?
Thanks
Mike the wheels are simply sandwiched with thick cardbord and duck tape and finnaly wraped with cling wrap materials.

I don't have a comercial account, so I was charged $225 from West Chester, PA to Denver, CO. via Ground.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the details Stephane
Are they four separate packages or did you manage to get them into one or two bundles?

Last edited by Laker; 12-01-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PChar
...What's the deal with Tire Rack,...? I placed an order and last night received a call from one of their Rep to tell me that they don't have all of the wheels and tires in one warehouse, and that they can't comingle everything in one place. I was told an ETA for delivery of 8-10 weeks,... WTF...
Another tangent but I had TR issues too - get my MPSC's from them last summer - 2 MONTHS later they call -- oops we messed up shipping cost and you owe us another $200. WTF? It is not like I can send them back as they are used but they did turn out to be more expensive than local 'cause of there screw up. I argue and they lady accuses me of essentially stealing from them as I don't want to pay for their error.

Marc
Old 12-01-2011, 08:44 PM
PChar
Racer

Originally Posted by PChar

1) Bilstein HD = $1100
2) H&R Coilover = $1800
3) KW V1 coilover = $2200
4) KW V3 coilover = $2700
5) PSS10 coilover = $2950
OK, after reading multiple reviews and searching on here and speed6 online, I decided to pull the plug on Option #4.
Santa agreed to give me my present early this year,.. actually she was trilled at the idea that I was not going to buy another 964 just to toy around and clutter the garage.

I found a set at an incredible one easy payment of $2375 shipped. Couldn't pass on that. should be here next week. Can't wait ,...

This brake job is probably the most poorely managed task I ever undertaken. If my boss knew I would be demoted,....
Old 12-01-2011, 10:36 PM
90_C2_Cab
Instructor

Maybe you could just buy the wheels from TR and then source tires locally. It would probably save on shipping and maybe you could get them sooner? Just a thought. Out here in Denver we have Discount Tire. They match TireRack prices at their stores.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:39 AM
PChar
Racer

Maybe you could just buy the wheels from TR and then source tires locally. It would probably save on shipping and maybe you could get them sooner? Just a thought. Out here in Denver we have Discount Tire. They match TireRack prices at their stores.
That's right Dan, I was almost there, the unfortunate thing is the costs associated with mounting/balancing. Tire Rack do it for free, here the cheapest I have found is $125 for all 4 wheels. I opted for the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 to match with the OZ rims. TR had almost everything in one place so they gave me an ETA of Dec 16th.

I hope for the best.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:35 PM
PChar
Racer

There is nothing worst than waiting for parts and making sure they get ther before the weekend.

My luck My dear friend Fedex man came this morning,...

Up to work now,...
Attached Images   
Old 12-03-2011, 03:22 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should pin your new tierods! ('Cause, see- you don't already have enough to do )
Old 12-03-2011, 07:08 PM
PChar
Racer

Yeah, I forgot to mentioned, I was bored one evening and temperature wasn't too cold out in the garage. So, I crawl under the car and removed the steering rack, which had to come out anyway. I had this leaking for quite some times now, and it was way over due.
I sent the steering rack to Rack Doctor on tuesday, he rebuilt it on Wednesday orThrusday, and sent it right back to me, just in time for delivery this morning. That's what I call great service.

The job is fairely easy, I followed the procedure from P.Car.com, the only issue was the oil lines that are very tight and tucked up in there. I have average size hands and it was a beast to get to.

Just make sure you dont pull on the rack before you clear the lines around the circled bracket. I kept pulling and nothing came, .. only to realize that the oil lines wraped over the aluminum support.
Attached Images   
Old 12-07-2011, 12:27 AM
90_C2_Cab
Instructor

Stephane,

I got the wheels today! Thanks for doing such a great job packing them. I can't wait to get them on the car. Only problem is it has snowed almost a foot out here in Denver over the last week and it got down to -4 last night. No driving for me for a while but at least I can bolt them on in the garage and take a look.

Cup 1's really change the way these cars look compared to the D90's. You really did a fantastic job of packing these up so thanks again and good luck on on your project. Post a pic as soon as you get your new wheels on!

Dan
Old 12-09-2011, 08:00 PM
PChar
Racer

Stephane,

I got the wheels today! Thanks for doing such a great job packing them. I can't wait to get them on the car. Only problem is it has snowed almost a foot out here in Denver over the last week and it got down to -4 last night. No driving for me for a while but at least I can bolt them on in the garage and take a look.

Cup 1's really change the way these cars look compared to the D90's. You really did a fantastic job of packing these up so thanks again and good luck on on your project. Post a pic as soon as you get your new wheels on!

Dan
Your welcome Dan, have fun with your 8 wheels, they really do compliment the 964s.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:07 PM
PChar
Racer

Ok, finally received the decals from Suncoast, looks OEM. The Caliper paint is awsome and it has a high gloss finish to it. I am happy with the results.
Attached Images   

Last edited by PChar; 12-10-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:12 PM
PChar
Racer

I came back from Kansas this afternoon and my wife finally said you got something from fedex,... I immediately went in the garage and found these.... I will be very busy this weekend, even if its 30 degrees out there.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Brake job going down the slippery slope