Sponsored by:

Hawk's Cyber Monday post

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 02:16 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hawk's Cyber Monday post

Well, we did our part to help out the US and foreign economies last week. Spend some hard earned plastic money on a new TV, new camera, new phone, new surround system receiver, and new headphones (mine). Unfortunately, no Porsche money left over for the track mats that I really want(ed).

Plan for the week is to swap the window switches. I still have photo ops thru the winter and need to be able to put the windows up. Right now the driver's side is down 5 inches and letting anything in when it's parked outside. After that, I need to tackle a battery drain which I think is from the rubber buttons on the door light switch being completely gone. I thought I had ordered a few, just can't find them right now. Should also order a new door switch too. Tried to repair it, and snapped where the wire gets crimped to the switch. My makeshift repair isn't the best.

Then onto the other cars- replace stater motors in the Envoy's dash panel, and then the oil pan on my DD. AND THEN..... the Porsche fuel issue.

oh yeah- didn't have to move the Porsche for this session

Old 11-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Hawk - You have definitely been doing your share of stimulating the economy! My GF has suggested that I get a new flat screen TV. I've been holding off because there is nothing wrong with my 40" CRT other than its small-ish size. I did some research and like the specs of the Panasonic plasmas. I'm tempted to get a 60" or maybe the 65". Hmmm....

I had a great week off. I spent my time doing errands, watching movies and catching up on my reading. I got snow tires mounted on the two winter cars. I have the 964 coup's headlight fixed. I'm using a temporary bolt to hold it on. The Nutsert worked like a charm. Very easy to use. I like it. I will swap out the bolt with the correct screw when it arrives from McMaster Carr. But I'm happy to be driving the 964 again.

My GF's daughter was driving my old Honda to GF's parents house on Thanksgiving when it started to overheat. She called GF while we were driving there too. I had her turn on the car heat but it had none. Uh-oh. Low on water. She drove to her Dad's and we turned around. We arrived together. Honda was steaming like a mosquito abatement truck when she turned. I took a peek under the hood and saw that the radiator was all wet. I suspected either a blown hose or radiator. I began pricing a radiator and hoses from Rockauto. Saturday, daughter called asking what year the Honda was. He boyfriend had found a blown top hose. He replaced it and refilled the coolant. She drove it here on Sunday without problems. Her dad picked her up here to take her back to school. The car appears to be ok. I checked the coolant. It was a smidge low so I topped it off. Glad it was something simple and that she and the boyfriend took the initiative to fix it themselves.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:52 PM
hawk911
Race Car

We had a 55" DLP and the size worked well in the room. The new one is also 55"; we didn't want to go larger. Very happy with it- LG 55" LED 3d. With the new technology, updating the surround seemed like the best way to go also.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:07 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

I didn't get as much done on the Porsche last week as I wanted, but took the time to do some volunteer work for the cub scouts, and spent some quality time with the kids, so I can feel good about that.

Valve adjustment continues! I ordered a dial indicator.

And my wife got me a very nice maple top craftsman workbench for my birthday. No more repairing CV joints on the floor!
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2011, 04:19 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoD
I didn't get as much done on the Porsche last week as I wanted, but took the time to do some volunteer work for the cub scouts, and spent some quality time with the kids, so I can feel good about that.

Valve adjustment continues! I ordered a dial indicator.

And my wife got me a very nice maple top craftsman workbench for my birthday. No more repairing CV joints on the floor!
Looks like it should go in the Kitchen. Go pour a quart of oil and a can of wheel lube on it, then pound it at least a half dozen times with a ball peen hammer to break it in so that you will actually use it.

Nice. Wish I had it.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:32 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hawk, that poor model appears to be missing a few, um, foundation garments... no wonder she's out searching around in the fields... I dig the high diffused flash... good look, especially in the autumn.

All this talk of TV, as I watch what's on with my vintage 32" Sony CRT, which still looks perfect, except for all the offscreen details... Its a shame to have to get rid of it, but it will never break...

Ricardo... you're the over-achiever of the week, with all your posts, and now the garage ****, geez.

I spent the weekend moving an elderly aunt to a memory-care facility. It was difficult. She was fine, but managing all the stuff, and all of the family members with conflicting points of view was a big big job.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:43 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Ricardo has indeed become a monkey-wrencher Bet that suspension swap we did doesn't seem like such a big job now, does it?

Tom, I hear ya on the Aunt. I hope that gets better for you and the family. That transition can put a huge strain on the family.

as for the model, she didn't lose near enough garments. I was hoping for more, but it was cold out, and she was fighting a cold too
Old 11-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Bought a new battery for the 964 C2. The old one went **** up. Drove the car a bit to enjoy the mild late November weather we're having here.

Quick Reply: Hawk's Cyber Monday post