Sponsored by:

Clutch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 12:13 AM
Mark Preus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problem?

Ive done a few things to my 91 c2 lately and the car has been running great. New plug wires, cat delete, etc. I took off out of work the other day and floored it through first and the car pulled awesome. Then I shifted to 2nd and floored it and the car revved for a few seconds but was still pulling but I watched the rpms drop as I assume the clutch caught and pulled harder. This morning driving to work though I went from 2nd to 5th and it dont slip at all. Should I be worried? Should I bleed the slave cylinder? The clutch shifts fine and I cant think of any other complaints about it. Im just scared to drive it hard 1st through 3rd now lol. Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks guys
Old 11-29-2011, 08:42 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Bleeding the clutch slave can't hurt but not sure it can cause this symptom. Is the problem repeatable? Last year when I was on Watkins Glen doing a DE, I had it happen to me twice. Turns out that I was not lifting my foot fully off the clutch. I would be certain its not the driver before dropping the engine.

As for mechanical faults, how old is your clutch. Do you know?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:00 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I would be certain its not the driver before dropping the engine.
That is solid advice right there.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Mark Preus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My foot was completly off the pedal. The motor is rebuilt but the guy I bought it from said he didn't replace the clutch so I don't know how old it is. I've only got it to do it one other time. It just barely slips though cause I look down at the speedometer and see that it's already doing 60. I'm just paranoid with this car lol
Old 11-29-2011, 05:40 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

Do this: Get the car in 2rd gear at around 2000RPM. Floor it to redline. If the tach needle moves up fast but the car isn't moving any faster your clutch is slipping. Bleeding the hydraulics won't help. You'll need a new clutch.

Quick Reply: Clutch problem?