Sponsored by:

Door speakers but delete tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 05:29 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Door speakers but delete tweeters

WARNING...I'm no audiophile and and know next to nothing about stereo systems!

I'm ready to install my new RS door cards and want to replace the door speakers at the same time. I'd like to get rid of the tweeters and the crossovers, as that removes the hassle of trying to move the crossovers to under the dash (they will no longer fix to the door card). I believe I can do this by changing the woofers to coaxial 2 way speakers....something like this:

http://www.raysmith.co.uk/alpine-spr...y-speaker.html

To do this I believe I can uncouple the wires that feed the crossover and connect directly to such speakers.

Is it this simple? Do I need to know anything else? Are speakers such as those in the link the right size?

p.s. Did a search but most topics are about upgrading with new woofers and tweeters.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume no amp is envolved?

Then yes the 2 wires from the head unit (for the righ hand side) now go to the + / - on the speakers for the right, thats all you need to do.

Coaxial will be fine, then you can launch the crossovers and extra wiringthat went to the tweeters

Can't check the speakers as i am at work. but as long as dimensionally they match your old ones for width and depth, the fixing should be the same all/most speakers form leading brands fit the same.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:45 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Thanks mate. Yes no amp involved (just an Alpine head unit) and searching around on here I've found that our standard size speakers are 5.25 inch. Think I'll get some cheap coaxial ones to start with as I mostly only use the radio for traffic news.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must admit radio 4 and 5 is about the limit i use mine for. With either open windows, sunroof or high speed, you can't hear much anyway, and the thought of adding back weight to make it sound much better seems a little at odds with my idea of P car ownership.

Really cheap non branded ones will sound very poor though, but branded aftermarket ones will give you some volume for traffic reports, and shouldn't be too pricey either.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:11 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Unkle
Really cheap non branded ones will sound very poor though, but branded aftermarket ones will give you some volume for traffic reports, and shouldn't be too pricey either.
Just ordered some Pioneer ones which were on sale and surprisingly cheap. Will see how I get on with them. I didn't go for the Alpine ones because in the picture they looked like they had four terminals....almost as if they still needed an external crossover.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:47 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Steve, let me know you get on with the door handle 'rose' covers. I can't make mine stay in place. Once the handle is tightened you can't get it to clip on...

I stuck with component speakers (separate tweeter). Only done one so far as need to make some MDF trim rings to space the speakers out. Starting to wish I had just gone with co-axials as well...
Old 11-05-2011, 02:59 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Stan, thanks for the heads up on the handle roses. I'll report back on what I find tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:48 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Unkle
I must admit radio 4 and 5 is about the limit i use mine for. With either open windows, sunroof or high speed, you can't hear much anyway, and the thought of adding back weight to make it sound much better seems a little at odds with my idea of P car ownership.

Hey Unkle, you can get very good sound, if you want it badly enough and are willing to spend the money and make the effort to get it. I know there are those who don't care about music in their cars, but for those who do.......

A head unit without amp will do traffic reports and that's about it. If you want really good sound that's enjoyable, even with a primary bypass (which I have), you will need a good amp and at least one good size (8" min, 10" preferred) sub. Then, components for the front speakers are HUGE improvements over coaxials. I initially installed a good pair of Alpine coaxials, then replaced them with Infinity Kappa Perfect components and the improvement was amazing. The Kappas came with some great crossovers that were easy to install to replace the existing ones under the door pull.

I had never spent a lot of money on a system and often wondered if an expensive system was discernible, and worth it in our loud cars. But I spent $1,500 on equipment, did all the work myself and have never regretted it. It sounds great!

Quick Reply: Door speakers but delete tweeters