Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

switching seatbacks (for that new seat feeling)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 03:22 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default switching seatbacks (for that new seat feeling)

I switched, because every time I sat in the passenger seat, I was impressed by how taught the bolsters felt. Basically no one has sat in the seat for the last 20 years, it looks and feels absolutely new.

I started off by reviewing MarkD’s very helpful thread: ~DIY Seat Back Swap – w/pics
(Mark goes into much more detail than I do – awesome thread! Thanks Mark!)

I’ll rely mostly on pictures to show you how it’s done, but it’s a pretty easy modification. Also note: you do not have to remove the seat bottoms from the car to switch seat backs.

On to the pics...

My seats are non-heated and only have manual fore-aft adjustment, therefore after removing the bolts from seat adjustment sliders there are only two connections to unclip before the seats come out. (removing the driver's side floorboard foam is a project for another day)

Remove the plastic hinge cover, two screws.

Loosen the two 15mm bolts (apply blue Loctite upom reassembly). Leave bolts in (hand tight) until you are ready to separate the upper.

Carefully slide clip out.

With clip removed, slide out the little cable release lever arm (note orientation).

Pull on cable to get a little more slack, and then unhook cable from the cable holder (that is built-in to the seat back upper).

With cable release removed, you can remove the two 15mm seat bolts and separate the upper from the seat bottom.

Time to clean everything while the seats are out.

A couple pictures of the seat height adjustment motors and cables.

Seats back in!

As seen in the pictures above, this really is an easy project (that can be done with the seats still in the car). It's taken me a few days to get used to the feeling of the seats...it feels really nice!

Last edited by 911Jetta; 10-13-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:52 PM
ScottR
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a really good idea, thanks for posting. Especially as I happened to notice this morning that the piping running up the side has cracked on my driver's seat. So if I swapped the backs it would stop that from getting worse.

Quick Reply: switching seatbacks (for that new seat feeling)