Sponsored by:

964 Coilovers/Cup suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 12:11 AM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 964 Coilovers/Cup suspension?

Does anyone have a Bilstein/Cup coilover setup, KW Clubsport, TRG, H&R Cup or something similar sitting on the shelf for a 964? I am building a track only car and would like one of the above at a decent price. Let me know if anyone has a set for sale.

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2011, 11:09 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're building a track only car, isn't your focus on maximum performance? Yeah, once in awhile you'll stumble across a take off. But 90+% of the time what you're buying is inferior to (and usually ends up not being cheaper than) consulting with one of our experts here. Some of the worst cars I've had the (dis)pleasure of driving were "a little of this picked up here, a little of that picked up there" and bolted on in the name of performance. My own example was RSA #1, the race car, versus the oh-so sublime faux RS that Steve Weiner built for Kim.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I'd be interested in feedback about any of the suspension kits mentioned by the OP.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:02 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 993, I have logged 60+ days on the track using the H&R street coilovers, Moton clubsports, and now Bilstein shocks custom valved by TRG with custom spring rates:

The H&R street was suprisingly good. It was paired with big TPC sway bars and solid upper mounts/camber plates, so I think this helped offset the relatively soft springs and valving.

The Motons were the ultimate setup and allowed for very streetable ride even with stiff (600/800) spring rates. However, they did add a new level of complexity to my time on the track. With the H&R setup, I made my handling adjustments using the bars. Now, I had individual compression and rebound to adjust. I feel that, to get the most out of the motons, you need to hire a coach or race shop to be with you on (or at) the track to maximize the adjustments and translate your track experiences to shock adjustments.

With the Bilsteins, it was really an impovement over the H&R's without the adjustability of the Motons. However, it WAS designed by a professional race shop and does not require adjsutements.

Thats what I am after for the 964. A compete kit that does not need to be built from scratch (as I did with the Motons) but was designed by professionals (JIC, H&R, Porsche Motorsports)
Old 10-05-2011, 12:35 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I am interested in an expert's opinion. I have a 964 Cup. Here are the specs.

Eibach progressive rate springs, rates 200-600 lbs/inch front and 240-800 lbs/inch
rear
• 24mm 5 way adjustable front anti-roll bar
• 18mm 3 way adjustable rear anti-roll bar

I feel, and other 964 Cup owners have said as well, that this suspension is much too soft.

Are we correct?

Wouldn't a much stiffer set up be better?

What would be the optimum set up, assuming no limitation on spring rates and sway bar diameters.

Obviously, Motons would help, but I already know this.

Quick Reply: 964 Coilovers/Cup suspension?