Sponsored by:

Resonator Valve Chatter on Plastic inlets

Old 09-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Resonator Valve Chatter on Plastic inlets

Hi

Anyone ever heard of it or any methods to try and reduce it?

Had a respected aircooled expert look over my car (i have the plastic inlet throttle bodies) and came back with resonator valve is noisy, was told it wasn't a major issue and nothing can be done except a load of cash thrown at it i.e. replace the plastic throttle bodies/resonator flap mechanism. So save your money was the answer as its not a problem, It sounds like tappets a little as it makes a light ticking in tune with the engine revs, but this was ruled out, any ideas how to reduce the noise as it wears? Spray grease on the mech perhaps? Optimoly TA?

Thanks
Old 10-06-2012, 09:50 PM
ptber
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to hear about any solutions anyone has on this, short of outright replacement of the throttle bodies. My 964 had recently been diagnosed with the same "issue" by my local Porsche dealer.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

I had the same issue - spent alot of money - replaced everything. No performance gain. but makes a nicer sound now.

The only thing I can say, is that in my case, if I hear or feel something wrong, I fix it and it puts my ocd head at ease...But that said, I throw way more money than logical into the car, and your mechanic is likely correct. Save your money...

on another note - if I hear loud ticking and it's not an issue, hwo would I be able to tell the difference between that and loud ticking that is an issue if I hadnt fixed the non-issue prior? just a thought - but that thinking costs alot of money unecessarily sometimes....
Old 10-08-2012, 08:04 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Just to clarify - are you talking about the resonance flap that opens under full throttle, via vacuum, at about 5600 rpm?
Great, now I have something else to feed my own OCD frenzy of chasing noises.
Was the flap worn, the shaft worn, or a problem in the actuator and linkage?
Old 10-12-2012, 07:40 PM
ptber
5th Gear

We are all probably a OCD when it comes to ou P-cars. my mechanic told me the same thing. Some engines make the sound more than others, but it is not going to cause an issue, other than the "annoying" sound, which is driving me crazy!

Goughary, I am curious to know what parts you ended up changing?
Old 10-12-2012, 09:27 PM
bmohr
Racer

wow this is an interesting post for me because I've been dealing with a "ticking"ish noise at high rpms for awhile and haven't figured it out yet. First thought it was my ac compressor vibrating because it was loose, tightened and nothing was cured. Then I thought it was my crappy beru dizzy caps that were loosening up on me. Got bosch and tighened and still happens. Finally figured it was a loose heat shield but now I'm suspecting it just could be my resonance flap. interesting. I'll have to take a look.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:01 PM
Michael D'Silva
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting post..
I have a 964 with plastic intakes. At start up, it is fairly quiet but after a while, it makes a low level 'buzzing' sound.. almost sounds like a kazoo (probably have to google that...) It's not very loud, but I can hear it. Using a stethescope, and a hose to hear sound, I was able to find the noise coming from the intake.. odd I thought.. when I used the stethescope probe and touched the shaft of teh resonance flap which has the circlip on it, the noise in my ears went off the charts! so I clearly found the cause of the noise.. I'm thinking, just live with it and ignore...

Again, that is assuming that is the noise everyone else is referring to above?
Old 03-12-2021, 12:24 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DWS964
Just to clarify - are you talking about the resonance flap that opens under full throttle, via vacuum, at about 5600 rpm?
Great, now I have something else to feed my own OCD frenzy of chasing noises.
Was the flap worn, the shaft worn, or a problem in the actuator and linkage?
If we are talking about the vacuum activated resonance flap, it is most likely the actuator. I had the same issue, most noticeable when idle. I replace the vacuum actuator - pretty straight forward but not a great place to get to - and the part was not that expensive if memory serves me right.
The diaphragm goes bad and you get vacuum variation transmitted directly to the flap. You can reach around the stack and fell the actuator linkage. If you touch it and the noise goes away, you have your culprit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Resonator Valve Chatter on Plastic inlets