Sponsored by:

1990 964 widebody CAB

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1990 964 widebody CAB

Hey guys...I'm usually hanging out in the 911 forum (looking/learning), but this car on autotrader caught my eye...more importantly its recently undergone a full rebuild which is appealing as well.

Q...does anyone know this car...anybody looked at it ?

Any feedback would be appreciated...thanks
Old 09-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

One of our fellow rennlisters I think... GuyMoanin I think; but not sure. Use the search, I'm sure Ive seen these pics on here.

He spent a lot on the car if I remember correctly and that is a good thing. As always make sure you get a full PPI done. Do NOT buy any car without one.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Ouch....I did find his postings under guymonnin....he has had some unbelievable bad luck with that car. Looks like some members even went so far as to call the car a true 'lemon' whilst rare with P-cars, I guess they do occur. I have only read one other horror story as bad as his was and sadly coincidentally ? it was on a 964 as well. While I like Guys car, the history of the car regardless of the rebuilt engine scares me from it....thanks again for the lead on his name....I feel for him, what a horrible experience he had....albeit he apparently did not have a PPI .

Here is link to his story...not much sympathy from rennlisters for this guy.

Originally Posted by Navaros911
One of our fellow rennlisters I think... GuyMoanin I think; but not sure. Use the search, I'm sure Ive seen these pics on here.

He spent a lot on the car if I remember correctly and that is a good thing. As always make sure you get a full PPI done. Do NOT buy any car without one.

Last edited by Shannon123; 09-14-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Leave the subjective part of why he is not getting much sympathy out of it. It has nothing to do with the actual car.

Everything revolves around the condition of his car and that needs to be assessed. Perhaps his car is now in good running condition and a lot of work has been done on it. Work/money you could benefit from.

All 20year old cars are a little bit of a gamble... at least you know what you're looking at.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I think Guy was charting his own course either without, or in spite of, advice available here. I feel genuinely sorry for him and all he went through. It is entirely possible that at this point in time, after a great deal of his time and money were spent on this car, that this car is well sorted. A thorough PPI is always a worthwhile investment.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Surf SD
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Richards
I think Guy was charting his own course either without, or in spite of, advice available here. I feel genuinely sorry for him and all he went through. It is entirely possible that at this point in time, after a great deal of his time and money were spent on this car, that this car is well sorted. A thorough PPI is always a worthwhile investment.
Well if you want a cab, I would have the car inspected by a mechanic. The engine likely has a warranty on it and many other issues were seen to. It is a beautiful car and I am very surprised he is selling it. I guess he is just over it which could be someone elses great deal. Tough to know without the PPI.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:56 PM
AlexBurke
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a triple black cab if your interested. Not a wide body but only 32k miles...
Old 09-16-2011, 06:26 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is indeed a shame he is forced to sell (I assume).

This might be a very good car indeed, one never knows until it is checked out.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:49 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 572 Likes on 385 Posts

That's a lot of car for the money if all the stated work checks out via PPI. I would pay particular attention there are no stories with the body which would be areal deal killer if all the mechanicals check out. My guard goes up when I see someone part with a car so soon after so much work was done. What else was found during the process that has prompted the sell to bail.

That said, its great looking car. hopefully the PPI shows a great car for you.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

I am / was intigued with the car.....before I made the OP here I had made inquiries to Guy through Autotrader.com and craigslist.org where he was soliciting the car. I made 3 total inquiries and got ZERO response......I then made the OP here in hopes of finding the owner, then I was lead to his story....I still made inquiry to him through rennlist mail.....ZERO response. I know he is around the boards because his stats show activity in the past 12 hours.

Bottom line....If I were doing a PPI on him as a person, he has failed miserably at this point. Therefore, I have lost total interest in this car. Thanks RL for the discussion on this car....kinda sad really, I've been leaning HARD on buying a car from a rennlister and now run into this clown !
Old 09-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

...and you wondered why we gave him such a hard time.

He came here to bitch about the marque. We offered him sound advice (numerous times) which he ignored, he blew more money and continued to rant. He also tried to sell the car as totally rebuilt before the car had any work done. It's all on the up and up he assured us because he is a Christian. Whatever....
Old 09-16-2011, 01:40 PM
GuyMonnin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all. I have been on the fence. After the repairs to the car were made, My company had a significant monthly draw reduced and...I needed to get the money I had in the repairs back. The only way to do this was to sell it.

Then, the Lord took over and...the draw was adjusted and all is well (thank you Jesus)!

I had the add on Autotrader and had the car advertised for $ 26,000 or so. Never got a single response (even though at this point, that is what I have in the repairs ABOVE the purchase price of $ 24,000.00).

When I got into the pinch, I dropped the price a couple thousands. Then the phone started ringing. I guess now I'm waffling. The car runs like a top. A very angry top. It is my dream car and I would only replace it with another...just like it. However, it is an addictive money pit. There is ALWAYS something you want to do.

I traded some work with an excellent local body shop to repair a few door dings and rock chips in the rockers. I have Mark with Fibrenew (937-901-7391) repairing a ding in the dash top and the driver side seat bolster. Then I got to thinking that the interior is tan/cork. Black on black would be pretty cool...
Lindsey Racing Fuch replicas 17x9/11 would be pretty cool. Leather dash cover would be pretty cool. Momo Prototipo in lieu of Sparco Ring would be pretty cool. In short, I could easily drop another $ 10K - $ 15K into this car to get it to my vision. Thats not even taking into acount any suspension upgrades. So, do I want to spend another $ 15,000 on a car that I already have over $50K in - just to get it into the condition I though it was in when I bought it at $24K (less performance B&B exhaust and SW chip) ? If I did re-doe the interior in leather and fit some Lindsey Fuchs on it, damn would it be sweet.

Also, mechanically, it is where I want it...and trust it now. So, five years from now, if I ever sold it because the money would be "handy" now, I'd only want another one in the future...this is what I would want...but it wouldn't be as good as this one is now. Of course, I could find a good home for the money. My wife is busting for a new kitchen...Bills to pay etc. But, this IS my dream car, in already stellar mechanical shape...I am sorry Shannon123 for waffling about selling it.

Shannon123:

The interior carpet is a 6 out of 10. 8 out of 10 with floor matts. If I keep it, I will replace the front section.
I have a brand new top (Black Gahh German one piece Canvas - the best) but it won't be installed for a couple of weeks (soonest I could get scheduled $600)
The AC has been converted to new style freon...but it is not working for some reason - could be a fuse???
There is a ding getting repaired on the dash top next week
Overall, the interior is a 6.5 out of 10. I take pride in ownership based on the mechanicals and exterior. The inside is "OK" $ 1,500 would get it great.
The paint on the body has an excellent shine but it is a drivers car, not a show car. 7 out of 10.
The paint on rear spoiler is bubbling in some areas. This is not rust, rather like there was an impurity on the plastic when it was painted. It eventially will need media blasted and re-sprayed. For now, it shines like a new penny.
The clock adjuster on the dash is broken off
The electric window buttons work but, like all 964's, are junk
The radio is a new Pioneer CD deck and sounds like crap. NO BASS.
The clips that hold the console switches on the front part of the console are broken - no visual harm but someone must have messed with it in the past. No idea what it would cost to repair this (I'm sure not much - but it is a Porsche and will have that premium). I could probably do it myself.
The rear seats have the bottom cushion but not the back cushions - and no rear seat belts - no idea why???
The car pulls to the left when you put the breaks on. No big deal and the break pedal feels fine but???

Last edited by GuyMonnin; 09-16-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Guy....thanks for the update, BUT, for me, I've lost interest....really wouldn't matter what was said at this point. While I'm a firm believer in second chances (impressions), most people LEAN on them to the point its almost pathetic.

I do wish you the best with your car, life, job, family, health etc. Kinda sad that your experience of NOT getting a PPI has changed your lifes' path a bit....then again, we do influence the occurance of our experiences by our choices in life.

Best of luck
Old 09-16-2011, 03:02 PM
GuyMonnin
Advanced

No worries and good luck in your search!
Old 09-16-2011, 08:03 PM
GuyMonnin
Advanced

Anyone have Lindsey Replica Fuch's for sale? 17x9/11

Last edited by GuyMonnin; 09-16-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: 1990 964 widebody CAB