Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel smell from tank area? Yes I searched..

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fuel smell from tank area? Yes I searched..

My 964T is sooooo close to perfection but I can't get rid of a fuel smell in the front of the car. I know that 964s are notorious for this problem but I am highly motivated to cure it! Here is what I have done in the past 200 miles.

-Installed new/updated fuel filler neck and fuel filler cap
-Tightened all hose clamps and connections
-Removed the upper tank section to inspect the condition of the rubber hoses
-Removed the front carpet to take care of any lingering smell

Doing these things reduced the smell (the filler neck was old) but I can still smell fresh fuel vapors.

The only part that looks somewhat suspect is the fitting on the very top (see red arrow) which fits loosely in the tank.

I am open to suggestions that might cure the fuel smell!
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2011, 11:05 PM
fiskarflugen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its cracked. replace it.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:53 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

I too am fighting this and have done all of the things you did including looking at the pump fittings. That top part should be loose the big rubber piece just holds it in place but it still may be cracked. I have a new carbon canister that I will but in this month, I hope this fixes it for me.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:56 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

.?
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

After replacing the fuel filler neck and replacing the gas cap gasket, the smell in the cabin went away for me. There is still a faint smell in the frunk (even after airing the carpet) which is easily masked with pizza or Chinese food. A faint fuel smell is pure 964, embrace it.

The part you've pointed to is 'loose' on my car too. I couldn't smell anything at that spot.

Last edited by Laker; 09-08-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tuner1 I have the same prob and its deffinately coming from the part you have arrowed. I would change it out anyway just to eliminate the thought of it possibly being that.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Makmov
Drifting

I have the same problem, updated to the 07 filler neck, new cap, new boot, seals and gaskets, new hose, new shut off valve, pull the tank most of the way out and removed the fuel pump inspection cover, and still have some gas odor that gets strongest below 1/4 tank. Above 1/2 there is virtually no gas odor.

The only thing that seems bad is the charcoal canister, which is now only 1/2 full of pellets and missing the breather.

The thing you are pointing to is the call the shut off valve. It is just a check valve to stop the fuel in the event of a roll over and it is just sitting in that rubber gromet in the expansion tank. On the other end is the hose that goes to the canister in the back left quarter panel under the shield.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by Laker
After replacing the fuel filler neck and replacing the gas cap gasket, the smell in the cabin went away for me. There is still a faint smell in the frunk (even after airing the carpet) which is easily masked with pizza or Chinese food. A faint fuel smell is pure 964, embrace it.

The part you've pointed to is 'loose' on my car too. I couldn't smell anything at that spot.
It is loose because it's not attached to anything really. It just lives in that rubber gromet but it's not bolted or screwed to anything. It just sits there. If you remove the expansion tank and the hose it just falls out.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Makmov
The thing you are pointing to is the call the shut off valve. It is just a check valve to stop the fuel in the event of a roll over and it is just sitting in that rubber gromet in the expansion tank. On the other end is the hose that goes to the canister in the back left quarter panel under the shield.
I considered the carcoal canister but the smell is from the front trunk, not the rear quarter, so I eliminated that as a possible source.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tuner1
I considered the carcoal canister but the smell is from the front trunk, not the rear quarter, so I eliminated that as a possible source.
That is what I figured as well. I can't see anything that remotely looks like a leak, stains, drips or anything else that looks like it leaks or had leaked.

I even have pressurized the tank with air and listened to air leaks or a strong smell of fuel and have come up with nothing.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:41 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Makmov
I even have pressurized the tank with air and listened to air leaks or a strong smell of fuel and have come up with nothing.
Damn, that's what I was going to do; I was *sure* that would find the culprit.

Priced out those soft lines? Yow... The long one with the 90* bend in it is ~$115 from Sunset IIRC.

Maybe the thing to do is find a guy with a hydrocarbon sniffer?
Old 09-09-2011, 02:16 AM
Makmov
Drifting

I have probably had 60 psi in it.

I thought about that.

They say a regular ole AC sniffer from harbor frieght will detect gasoline.

I thought about that.

They say a regular ole AC sniffer from harbor freight will detect gasoline, but I figure i will just waste 65 bucks and come up with the same thing.

I does seem like it strongest on the driver side down by the neck hose into the tank. I am starting to think maybe that is just the way it is. It only happens when it sits for more than 12 hrs and when you drive it goes away. I think there is nowhere for the fuel vapors to go unless you are driving and it's a plastic/rubber system. Eventually, a small amount leaks out, probably through tank, expansion tank, hoses, clamps and fittings. Microscopically, plastic is porous. Like I said, it is real strong with a 1/4 tank or less. Above a 1/2 it virtually goes away. Obviously, you should have more vapor in a lower tank. It did seem to get a little worse when I put a new cap on, however, everything else I did seemed to make no difference what-so-ever. If you level the frunk lid open, the odor isn't present, probably because it hasn't got anywhere to build up. So whatever it is it letting an ever so slight bit of vapor out and it gets trapped in the frunk. I have had damn near everything apart multiple times and haven't been able to solve it. I have had a few ah-ha moments, which has just ended up with me spending money and time on something that didn't need to be replaced. I sure thought that new filler neck was going to do it. Then I started sniffing around other 964s I have had a chance to come across. They all smell more or less the same, but a definate hint of fuel in the frunk.

Last edited by Makmov; 09-09-2011 at 02:38 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:25 AM
ScottR
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a "frunk" but I do have an odour when I lift the bonnet on mine too.

Admittedly I haven't tried doing all the replacements you've done but had a good look and everything seems fine.

I guess the question is - does anyone NOT have a fuel odour?? Be interesting to see of there are many people out there who have a nice clean smelling boot area (or trunk, or even frunk!).

I regularly carry a bag of clothes in mine as I stay away for work a lot, and it's annoying that all my clothes end up stinking when sat in the car. So would be good to know it there's light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:56 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You might also want to check the banjo fitting on the fuel pump. I had mine loosen up and leak a noticeable amount of fuel. It might be possible for it to loosen slightly and leak enough gas, that could evaporate, but still cause an odor?
Old 09-09-2011, 08:18 AM
J81 JKR
Pro

ScottR - I'm reading with interest and since you ask, I've never noticed a fuel smell at all in or around my C2.

Quick Reply: Fuel smell from tank area? Yes I searched..