Sponsored by:

very high temperature at the co-pilot feet

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:18 AM
jmgdm
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very high temperature at the co-pilot feet

hello to everyone; i have been registered here for years, but never had written, since english is not my language and didnīt feel confident; anywayy, i have regularly reading and learning from you (thanks, by the way)

this time i need to ask for some help about my 1992 964 carrera 2

two weeks ago, i started to feel a very high temperature under the glovebox, even with oil-smelling; one day i had a co-pilot and she could hardly stand for the hot that came from under the car, at her feet

i went to my mechanic and took a look at the tube which takes hot air from the motor to the front part (just front of the door), but it was in its place; then, we looked at the air system, but the problem was not hot air incoming, but...

...well... the whole car, the body and the bodyframe (the chassis, i am not sure about the correct word), was hot like hell!!!

so, the hot i noticed did not came from an incorrect air intake, but it was a radiation from the body of the car

anyone suffered this or knows which could be the cause????

since then, i have scarcely driven the car, since i am aware of having a very serious problem, even fire on the car!

thanks in advance and sorry for my limitations to express myself
Old 08-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I have had this happen and the cause was a torn heater tube. Did your mechanic remove the tube or just inspect in place? My hose was torn on the back and was not visible. A small leak will allow a large amount of heat into the cabin.

By the way, welcome to Rennlist and your first post! Did anyone mention that we like to see pictures yet?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:03 AM
jmgdm
7th Gear

thanks for the suggest

yes, my mechanic removed the tube, inspected it and mounted it again improving its fixing pieces, but the problem remains; maybe ot could be because of any other tube?

about the pics... ŋis there any special subforum for presentations? i did not find anyone ŋ?ŋ?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:11 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In a C2 there's nothing forward of the transmission that should be generating the kind of heat you're talking about, so I have to believe that it is really just an issue with the cabin heating system. If your oil temperatures are in line then I think you can drive the car without fear.

One possibility is that the motor/flap assemblies which control cabin air temperature and delivery location have failed in some way. If the temperature control flap is frozen in the 'hot' position then you will get hot air and if the footwell delivery flap is frozen open that's where it would come out. I'm not sure that explains why it's just on the passenger side, however.

An alternate explanation would be if the passenger-side heat delivery tube (the hard one in the sill) had broken open.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

If the tube is ok, I would check your servos. This has a good description of the process.

http://porsche964.co.uk/technical/servos.htm
Old 08-18-2011, 11:46 AM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

i had a similar issue recently and it was the servos as suggested by Rocket Rob..was mainly hot air to feet of passenger and coming through the central cabin vents on the dash.......now its fixed....not hot air in cabin!
Old 08-18-2011, 03:21 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

The servos can most definitely fail, and let hot air in. It is becoming almost a given with these cars at this age. Try the DIY procedures above, and have a partner move the heat controls in the cabin for you, while you can watch the servos work.

The heat control servos are symmetrical (1 on each side) and you will see the levers pivot when you go from cold to hot. (Hot is when the servo levers are pointing IN) If both sides don't work at the same time, you've spotted your problem.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 on the servos, if the paper tube is intact.

a stuck servo #2 caused constant hot air on the passenger side in my case.
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2011, 05:14 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Yes, you'll want to keep an eye on #2 above. That one might be your problem.

Quick Reply: very high temperature at the co-pilot feet