Sponsored by:

RUF secondary oil cooler source?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 01:45 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Question RUF secondary oil cooler source?

I am planning to install a second oil cooler this winter and, after having been in contact with Steve Weiner who recommends (but no longer sells) the RUF unit, I am having trouble finding a source for one.

Anyone have any leads as to the best place to order one? RUF lists them on their web site but it does not appear that you can order from there.

Thanks.

Marc
Old 08-13-2011, 02:03 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
I am planning to install a second oil cooler this winter and, after having been in contact with Steve Weiner who recommends (but no longer sells) the RUF unit, I am having trouble finding a source for one.

Anyone have any leads as to the best place to order one? RUF lists them on their web site but it does not appear that you can order from there.

Thanks.

Marc
Hi Marc,

Correction, Sir,...

I DO sell them, however I don't have one here at the moment.

Let me see about digging one up for you on Monday.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:12 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi Marc,

Correction, Sir,...

I DO sell them, however I don't have one here at the moment.

Let me see about digging one up for you on Monday.
My apologies - I was under the impression you could no longer get one.

I am in no rush but was just planning ahead for the winter projects and would prefer to buy from you anyway.

Marc
Old 08-13-2011, 03:48 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm all over it. I need to keep one on the shelf regardless, just for these contingencies,...........
Old 08-13-2011, 04:50 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm told that with a secondary oil cooler, your a/c unit becomes far less efficient as the 2nd cooler blocks air-flow. Is that correct?
Old 08-13-2011, 08:00 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ACSGP
I'm told that with a secondary oil cooler, your a/c unit becomes far less efficient as the 2nd cooler blocks air-flow. Is that correct?
I think "far" less efficient may be a stretch. I have not yet done this, but hear that A/C is affected, but not too badly (ymmv). Steve is working with his A/C guru regarding a solution to this as we would like to keep the A/C in Claudia as her build progresses.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:08 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
I think "far" less efficient may be a stretch. I have not yet done this, but hear that A/C is affected, but not too badly (ymmv). Steve is working with his A/C guru regarding a solution to this as we would like to keep the A/C in Claudia as her build progresses.
Would like to know if you can find a solution. My car oil temp runs hot in heavy traffic, and at the same time, the a/c struggles to cope with the ambient temp and the heat transmission from the engine. This is despite a new compressor and the system being completely overhauled 2 years ago.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 351 Posts

Thanks.

Marc
Originally I ordered from Ruf but they could never deliver one, so I bought one from Gert Carnewal. The Ruf & Gerts are a copy of the one developed for the 964/993 Cup and RSR. There are 2 versions one for use w/ AC and one for use w/o. The only difference is the mounts. AC works fine w/ these and track oil temps stay 250F or less w/ my 3.8RS engine on the hottest days
Old 08-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Bill - I saw your previous posts (and looked at all the pictures you posted during the install) - you commented before that Gert was also the most expensive. I emailed Gert at the same time I contacted Steve and Gert sells the GT2 cooler for 1295Euro (US$1845) so I am hoping the Ruf unit is cheaper.

I am not concerned how it affects the A/C as mine has already all been removed to save weight (track car).

Marc
Old 08-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 351 Posts

Bill - I saw your previous posts (and looked at all the pictures you posted during the install) - you commented before that Gert was also the most expensive. I emailed Gert at the same time I contacted Steve and Gert sells the GT2 cooler for 1295Euro (US$1845) so I am hoping the Ruf unit is cheaper.

I am not concerned how it affects the A/C as mine has already all been removed to save weight (track car).

Marc
Prices have sure gone up since I bought mine, at that time Ruf was a few hundred $ cheaper than anyone else,but if you can't deliever it's all so much smoke.

Again the drivers side coolers from Ruf, Gert, Cargraphic, FVD and probably Steve's too are all the same, they are based on Setrab 640 and measure 11 1/4" x 12", the same as a stock passenger side cooler. The difference between these and using a stock passenger side cooler is the location of the I/O ports, Stock are on the top corner, these are on the front side which makes plumbing easier. Geoffrey has a good thread here on making your own from a stock cooler and here's a Pelican thread on the topic
Old 08-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ACSGP
Would like to know if you can find a solution. My car oil temp runs hot in heavy traffic, and at the same time, the a/c struggles to cope with the ambient temp and the heat transmission from the engine. This is despite a new compressor and the system being completely overhauled 2 years ago.
I think this has more to do w/ the oil cooler fan kicking in late rather than a need for additional cooling capacity.

The solution to this problem comes in two flavors. There's a mod that allows you manually engage the oil cooler fan via a switch, and there's a mod that lowers the threshold at which the fan engages, so that it'll automatically kicks in during such situations.

Adding an oil cooler is for adding cooling capacity. Lack of cooling capacity arises when you're running the car hard (i.e. maximizing airflow to the cooler), yet the temps keep climbing. At that point, an additional cooler will be beneficial.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks.

Marc
I had the RUF unit in my 700hp 3.8L 993TT and it did a great job of keeping the oil temp at normal levels. The installation was pretty straightforward.

I am considering adding a second cooler in my 964T but after some hard laps at the track today I was surprised to see the oil temp hadn't risen above 9 o'clock.

How hot does your 964 get?
Old 08-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Geez - I was at the track in Calgary today too....at least until my transmission blew (that big cloud of smoke was me). I think you followed me out on track at one point earlier in the day (I noticed the beautiful 964T down the end of the paddock).

The oil temp today only got to about 9:30 before the fan kicked in and dropped it to about 8:00.

The main reasons are that I do a lot of track days in the US (California, Utah, etc) where it is a great deal hotter as well as in preparation for the power increase plans I have as a winter project.....

Marc
Old 08-13-2011, 10:03 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry about your tranny Mark.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:35 AM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Another solution that Todd Knighton used on my 964 was to piggy back a second oil cooler to the first. This eliminates addition piping and leaves our strained air conditioning systems without further complicating their job. I have also added the manual override oil fan switch, this is an easy install and would recommend this first as its easy and inexpensive.

Quick Reply: RUF secondary oil cooler source?