Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I lost my key and no luck with locksmiths

Old 08-06-2011, 11:38 PM
Regulatori
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I lost my key and no luck with locksmiths

I lost my key to my 93 964 the other night and cannot find my spare. There is a good chance it's in the glove box because I had some recent service done and left them for the mechanic but I'm not 100% they are in there.

I've had two locksmiths come out that were "100% sure they could get in" and neither of them could do it. Both tried slim jims, airpumps in the window, etc.. One was able make space between the window/door frame and get a rod on the door handle but I guess if the doors are locked you can't pull the handle to unlock them (never tried it). He tried pushing the center lock toggle switch multiple times with a long rod but nothing would happen.

I've called numerous locksmiths and no one can make a key for me. I tried Porsche and they want 6-8 weeks. Plus I'm in the middle of a move and have a box with a some paperwork in the back....and the title is in the box!! (the box has been there in for 2 days...of course it's the time I'm locked out).

I'm ready to smash a window but I'm not even sure if my spare is in my glovebox.

Any suggestions? This is driving me crazy.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:44 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Don't smash the window! It's cheaper to remove it. I had to remove a rear window to get into my SC once. You can easily remove the gasket metal trim. It's a little more difficult after that. If you have experience removing glass, it can be done without ruining the gasket, but it's safer to just cut the outer lip of the gasket off, remove the gasket, then the glass, and buy a new gasket.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Did you see my response on the other site?

I read an old thread on here that said that drilling the lock can work. I'm not sure on drilling technique specifics. Another thread I read claims there's a way to pop the front trunk through the fenderwell somehow and some members claim the doors will automatically unlock if you disconnect the battery.

Hopefully others who have more experience and specific knowledge on these areas will be quick to respond.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:47 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

I got in by hitting the center console switch once too. I ussed a long round aluminum rod that allowed me to bend it as I snaked it through the upper back corner of the door window frame.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:51 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Vandit
Did you see my response on the other site?

I read an old thread on here that said that drilling the lock can work. I'm not sure on drilling technique specifics. Another thread I read claims there's a way to pop the front trunk through the fenderwell somehow and some members claim the doors will automatically unlock if you disconnect the battery.

Hopefully others who have more experience and specific knowledge on these areas will be quick to respond.
I think the window removal / new gasket is the least expensive of the destructive methods.............so long as you don't break the glass.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:56 AM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just smash the window, and it will all be over in a couple of mins. Drilling the lock will destroy it i imagine and unless its possible to get another made cheaply, you will aways need another key for that lock.

Glass on ebay? its not expensive...

Rear Glass

Door Glass
Old 08-07-2011, 04:55 PM
kboustani
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

call you porsche dealership and see if they can cut you a key.they should be able to do that with the vin information.you will have to prove ownership.good luck.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:06 PM
hawk911
Race Car

the dealer can't. the keys come from the factory, based on the vin and ownership validation. It's not a quick process. I have a spare in a cabinet away from small kids just so if they ever lose the key on me, I have a hidden spare.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:34 PM
kboustani
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

i am a general manager at a honda dealership and we make keys all the time based on the vin or key number.
honda provide us with the vin and key match and all we do is put the numbers in our machine and cut a key.we have to have proof of ownership.
i would call my porsche dealership and ask before doing anything else.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:12 AM
Regulatori
Instructor

I tried three Porsche dealers and go the same info. Porsche North America handles all keys now and it takes 6-8 weeks.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:12 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Remove the rear quarter. A windhield installer suction cup, pull. Hard.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Might as well try the emergency trunk ingress first. Being a '93, yours should have the cable pull. Worst case, if it doesn't work, you won't have done any damage.
Good luck!
Old 08-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Regulatori
Instructor

I'm still locked out and will attempt to remove one of the rear windows tomorrow to get in. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with removing a rear window and could PM me the details on how it's done. In case there is an easy way to do it (or trick to get it out) I'm thinking it's not the best to post the how-to on a public message forum for potential thieves.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:40 AM
hawk911
Race Car

do you need a new front? maybe a 2-birds kinda thing...
Old 08-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen people who get a key blank, insert it in the lock, wiggle it back and forth and see where the tumblers rub. It might take a light coat of bluing to see where the tumblers actually hit. Then file where you see the marks. With a little patience, it can be done. Just file slowly and lightly. I watched a locksmith do this on one lock and it worked... But it does take time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I lost my key and no luck with locksmiths