Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Rear/Engine Decklid strut replacement-

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 03:40 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did mine this weekend past. The clips can be a little can be a little fiddly though didn't have trouble with mine. That said, replacing them with circlips/c-clips makes life much easier. If you want to go the whole hog replace the pin and clips with a clevis pin and an r-clip
Old 07-07-2014, 04:28 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I did mine last winter, not that tough of a job. Turn the clips so the open end faces you, grab the top half with a pair of pliers, lift up and push off. Done. They are easier to put back on, so why worry about changing anything, doesn't make any sense.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:16 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by crg53
I did mine last winter, not that tough of a job. Turn the clips so the open end faces you, grab the top half with a pair of pliers, lift up and push off. Done. They are easier to put back on, so why worry about changing anything, doesn't make any sense.

Its not easy for everyone For what ever reason (big hands, not removing the heater blower, airbox, etc), there are many posts that I've read where guys are having a lot of trouble. Also if you drop one and can't find it i was just providing alternatives
Old 04-11-2015, 01:56 AM
pdf17
Track Day

Did this in January before I saw this thread. Seemed simple enough and I pretty much took the same steps as you, minus the sheet and magnet tool. The left side was much more difficult because of the blower motor but, I was able to do it all by feel - oh, i have lost much of my fine motor skills...
Old 07-29-2015, 02:24 PM
Jon Hansen
Advanced

Originally Posted by nvrlft
I did this on my car and it was an exercise in patience. I am sorry to convey my lesson learned as it is completely ridiculous but here goes...

The old strut will not show any signs of wear. When I put the old one on the floor...it immediately blended and I couldn't tell it from the second new strut. I had a good laugh (and another beer) and put off finishing this project. The driver's side looks tighter than the passenger. I am waiting to do this until I get to the blower motor rehab project.

The decklid does stay up with only one new strut.
I just replaced my deck lid struts. An easy way to tell the new vs old struts is the date of manufacture printed on each strut. My old ones were made and replaced in 06, and the new ones were made and replaced in 15.
I thread a piece of MIG welding wire through the clips before R&R in case they get dropped. I also wrap MIG welding wire around the pins during the R&R for the same reason.
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2020, 04:42 PM
surfdog4
Instructor

Default Trick to help pin replacement

Just replaced both of my deck lid struts and figured out a trick that helped me get the pins inserted...i used a 90 degree phillips screwdriver (like those cheap ones you get with IKEA furniture), inserted it where the pin will go which helped to align all the holes and hold the strut in place (especially helpful on the driver's side). With the screwdriver in place, you can feel the tip with your finger, align the pin with the tip of the screwdriver and basically use the pin to push the screwdriver out..Presto! the strut stays put and the pin slides in easily. +++1 about putting the rag underneath where ever you are working

Quick Reply: DIY Rear/Engine Decklid strut replacement-