Sponsored by:

Temp rating for Mag parts- cerekote

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 10:49 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Temp rating for Mag parts- cerekote

Fan housing, timing boxes/ covers, valve covers all being sent out for blasting and coating. Cerakote Japan is asking my what temp range is acceptable for these parts. The elite series has the highest specs in terms of adhesion and scratch resistance and would be my first choice based on longevity alone its good to 500+ degrees F. My guess is that this will be high enough temp wise. Any thoughts??

Pete
Old 04-16-2020, 11:39 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 267 Posts

I have found the 2-part cerakote can turn colors with any real sort of heat. Id stick to their air cure product. Still really tough stuff and does much much better with higher temps.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:25 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

If the fan or housing hits 500 degrees for sustained periods you will aneal or soften the material and it will no longer have the strength it requires I don't think you will see temps close to this high considering it is constantly cooling the cars engine and drawing in fresh air. The valve covers are always being cooled by oil so you should be Ok there as well. Max temp will probably be whatever your oil temps reach although if you remove the heat shields you might find the Cat if you still have one will throw off some decent heat but doubt it will do any damage.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:24 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

I was thinking the same thing- go with the oil temp as an indicator. Honestly not sure what max oil temps are as I have only been on the track a few times with the car. The only thing that concerns me is the lower valve covers being near the exhaust. Honestly I'm not concerned with the color change as much as longevity. Want to keep the mag stuff in good condition.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:26 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

The hot spots are the catalytic converter (6-800F+), the outside corner of the 90-degree bends in the exhaust piping and the top of the primary muffler. Here's a thermal shot of the right side chain box and valve cover after a sustained run at load. With maybe 15 seconds of idling.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:34 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

You'll be fine w 500 degree max. But the air cured would be a better choice if the temp range is higher. Just takes a lot longer to cure. This can also be done easily at home since you don't need an oven.

Quick Reply: Temp rating for Mag parts- cerekote