JIC CROSS or KW Club Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:12 AM
sergiDA
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JIC CROSS or KW Club Sport

Looking for advise.

I have narrowed my seach of dampers and springs to either JIC cross or KW CS. The use of my car is basically track, not race but track days pushing as hard as i can...

I would like to have some feed back on the JIC suspension kit as in Europe they are not very common and I understand they are in the USA.

I am looking at the following JIC suspension Kit:

http://cross-na.com/ViewProduct1.asp...8&CarMakeID=14

Or this KW CS

http://www.kw-suspension.com/us/kw_clubsport.php

Price wise the JIC option is better because of the Euro/ us exchange rate and the fact that it already incorporates adjustable camber plate top mounts...since I travel often to US I can hand carry them avoiding additional shipping and duties...but I want to know if this will be good versus the KW which is a proven product on this side of the Atlantic..

Thanks.
Sergi

Last edited by sergiDA; 08-01-2011 at 04:29 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 394 Posts

I've got JIC on my 99% track use 993, they work fine,
things I don't like;
1) front camber plate - replaced w/ Mode versions, much better
2) I have to rebuild them regularly which gets expensive, I'll probably bite the bullet and switch to Moton or AST soon
3) dual spring setup- this is probably the way to go for a street car but it takes a dual set in track use, nothing that upsets the car too much but a single stiffer spring is the way to go for track use.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:35 PM
ValveFloat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
2) I have to rebuild them regularly which gets expensive
How do you know when they are in need of a rebuild?

I have JIC's on my car as well, but I really can't compare them because they were on the car when I got it. I feel like the single damping adjustment limits them somewhat, but the car behaves well, and I seem to be able to change the balance by adjusting the front or rear damping. The camber plates aren't great, but mine have never moved.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:16 PM
sergiDA
Instructor

Hi Bill:

I am now installing the gear ratios you recommended me. I will try them early september...

Would you then recommend the JIC's or not?

I only use the car on track days, but unfortunately only 5 times a year or so... Not sure about a full race set up such as Moton or other...as cost is very expensive, how much would a race suspension cost?

Bye
Sergi
Old 08-01-2011, 01:32 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

I'll be very curious to hear impressions of each as well. It is very interesting that each have chosen such different spring rates to accomplish the same goal. I wonder if anyone has driven both options.

Here are the front/rear spring rates of each option:

Stock
169/189 lbs/inch

KW
v3: 170/455 lbs/inch
Clubsport: 340/685 lbs/inch

JIC
393/506 lbs/inch
450/564 lbs/inch
Old 08-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by sergiDA
Hi Bill:

Would you then recommend the JIC's or not?

I only use the car on track days, but unfortunately only 5 times a year or so... Not sure about a full race set up such as Moton or other...as cost is very expensive, how much would a race suspension cost?

Bye
Sergi
Yes, I think that they are fine for most track guys use w/ some street driving thrown in, They are a very good value. I'm doing over 24 track days a year, in my case the left front gets a lot of abuse and has been rebuilt 2x's, roughly every 50 track days. Same for the left side tires which periodly get swapped w/ the rights to extend their life.

They start rattling around in the bores

Moton, AST, JRZ et all will cost roughly 2xs what JICs cost by the time you are all done
Old 08-03-2011, 02:10 PM
sergiDA
Instructor

Please find attached some info I got directly from Jic- magic. They are changing the product line...

I do not have any in stock item is discontinue and we will have new model coming end of this year.
new series name is ZMS we will have following items.

ZMS-S 1way (30 adjustable) single mono tube damper $1400~$2400-

ZMS-RS 2way (30X30 adjustable) bump and rebound adjustable single mono tube $2400~$3600-

ZMS-RS3 3way (30x15x15) rebound, low & high speed bump mono tube with external reservoir $5000~$6500

ZMS-RS4 4way (30x30x15x15) low & high speed rebound and low and high speed bump mono tube with external reservoir $5500~7000
Mono tube damper come with 48m piston, inverted mono tube come with 43mm piston

Regards
Sergi D.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:04 AM
candela
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is not a direct comparison, but I've had KW variant 2 INOX coilovers for 10+ years on my daily driver vw and they are still amazing to this day.... CS series has great spring rates for track use.... I have also heard good things about Motons as mentioned above

Quick Reply: JIC CROSS or KW Club Sport