Sponsored by:

Slight corrosion inside front tub

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 01:05 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Slight corrosion rust inside front tub

Since i'm having trouble with a dying battery (Other Thread), I have removed all the front carpet, spare, and battery for the first time ever (owned the car less than 6 mos).

Does this look like something I need to address? Will this lead to a nightmare if not addressed?

If I should address this, what is the recommended method/process I should perform?

Also, I notice that there's a few holes (visible in the 2nd pic) that lead to the exterior undercarriage. Is this suppose to be like that or is there some type of plug that i'm missing for these holes? If so, do you have a part # and where can I get them?

Thanks!

Last edited by Vandit; 08-24-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:22 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
...Also, I notice that there's a few holes (visible in the 2nd pic) that lead to the exterior undercarriage. Is this suppose to be like that or is there some type of plug that i'm missing for these holes? If so, do you have a part # and where can I get them?
911.631.259.02 drain tube

Try Pelican Parts.

Marc
Old 08-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Guys, i'm finally getting around to addressing this area in my front tub. My question is, does this look like a result of an old leaky battery (current setup is a Optima Yellow) or was it caused by leaking of the brake lines at some point in the past? I do not see any present wetness to indicate an existing brake line leak.

Here are some additional pics I just took.

You see how there's some rust on the bracket? That's why i'm wondering about a brake fluid leak.

My current plan for attack is;

1. wire brush and vacuum loose bits
2. baking soda/water rinse
3. POR15 rust encapsulation
4. white Rustoleum paint.

I'm not sure if I should try Metal Ready (rust converter) between steps 2 and 3.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-25-2012, 03:11 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
I'm not sure if I should try Metal Ready (rust converter) between steps 2 and 3.

Yes.
POR15 recommends to do this before using their paint - I always do all the steps using their products and I have had great results.

Marc
Old 08-25-2012, 10:00 AM
ja78911sc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would change #1.

Pick up a package of 3M sanding pads with multiple grits. Patience and a lot of ebow grease.

Please post pics when the project is completed
Old 08-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Step 5
http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery-mat.html

No affiliation
Old 08-25-2012, 08:48 PM
mrmandmman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was rusted through near the battery. I bought that part new from Porsche (the whole bottom panel) and had a body shop weld it in. Not exactly the cheap method, but quite effective. I then installed a dry cell battery so I wouldn't get another battery acid leak and ruin it again.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:58 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Word of caution: unless you are a chemist and a corrosion engineer, stick with one brand for all steps, and follow the published instructions exactly. Mix manufacturers, or improvise the application instructions, and you are running a low-budget research project. The better manufacturers are constantly testing formulations and compatibility.

The OP's pictures show surface rust only - no deep pits and definately no perforations yet. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for any reputable coating company, use a non-leaking type of battery, and you will be fine for a very long time.

I ran an Optima red. It got weak after 5 years, but when I changed it, there were no corrosives on top of still-pristine paint.

Quick Reply: Slight corrosion inside front tub