Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went autocrossing, very different experience.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I compete in time trials here, no cones, full circuit - that meaning you usually arrive at more than 120 miles per hour at the end of the main straight, it has been very difficult for me to learn how to drive my C2, done a lot of funny out of circuit outings, but for me it is more a question of skill than suspension set up, the C2 runs well is my skill that is still lacking....
Old 11-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Tom '74 911
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I watched the first 2 vids and noticed that your brake and throttle inputs seemed very choppy. Every time you stab at the pedals - either brake or throttle, doesn't matter which - you unsettle the car. Smooth is fast.

JMHO - I am no expert master of driving. . . .
Old 11-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Check the most recent batch of vids I posted yesterday. Those others are old. I took the car out again this weekend.

I swear I feel like I have the worst handling Porsche ever. Sometimes I get home and want to throw it up on jack stands, rip out all the old worn, useless, suspension and not let the car touch the ground again until I can replace all of it.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:52 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
....and not let the car touch the ground again until I can replace all of it.
Just lower your expectations some until you can get your old stuff swapped out. I mean really- I wouldn't expect a 20 year old Civic to handle right on it's original suspension; why should we expect a finely honed machine like a 911 to do so?
Old 11-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
Check the most recent batch of vids I posted yesterday. Those others are old. I took the car out again this weekend.

I swear I feel like I have the worst handling Porsche ever. Sometimes I get home and want to throw it up on jack stands, rip out all the old worn, useless, suspension and not let the car touch the ground again until I can replace all of it.
I wouldn't do that. I would fix your driving before fixing the car. If you don't you just be chasing probems that don't exist with the car. For all the same reasons: "A better car isn't going to make you a better driver".

I am sure you don't realize it now, but I watched your vid, and you had already lost it before giving it that last jab to the inside, which of course it spun.

I'd work a whole lot on just being smoother, a bit on slow in fast out, and try to learn to anticipate. You are reacting to the car, letting the car drive you rather than you driving the car.

I also agree, try driving more with your right foot, modulate it, it's not an on off switch. Although Senna whould not have agreed.

It just takes time and experience which only comes from seat time, you have not yet become one with the car, which more art than specific instruction.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:50 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Vandit,

Everyone's comments above are right on and you will learn a lot from people here on Rennlist. Driving a rear engine Porsche is different than a front engine FWD car. Different dynamics require different style, anticipation of how to catch oversteer, understeer, etc. Trust me when I tell you that as your skills improve and you start to master driving a 911, you will be able to take a lot of pride in the special skills.

1. Is there anyone that attends the Autocross with a 911 that you can either ride with or have them ride with you to provide some advice/coaching?
2. Focus on driving style and think about weight transfer and where the weight is at different points in a turn/course and where it needs to be for turn-in, acceleration, etc. Stabbing inputs doesn't help at all, but think about controlling the weight transfer so it is smoother. Regardless of suspension, the style of driving still needs to be appropriate for the car dynamics and can be worked on now.
3. I'm sure the car feels loose with the old suspension. Trust me when I tell you that when you setup the suspension correctly this will be one of the best handling cars you can have and drive.

Enjoy the madness and enjoy learning the special characteristics of these cars.

-Skip
Old 01-13-2012, 01:32 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

I took her out again this weekend and I didn't spin, not even once! Massive accomplishment for me!

The course setup was very fast and not too many fast/hard transitions, so I think that helped a bit. I also noticed that just a few PSI in the rear tires can really make a difference.

In the runs where I had moments it was usually because they were back to back runs and the rear tire pressure was creeping up on me. Dropping them down a few PSI, down to 30ish would really calm the rear.

I'm learning!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's great! Good to know you are going in the right direction.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

My best time was 77.5. The owner of an S2k on RS3s, KW V3 suspension, aggressive alignment, etc. was running a 73, his co-driver (a very fast driver) was running a 70 in the same car, and FTD was a bone stock e92 M3 on RS3s running a 69.

My suspension is tired, my PS2s have good tread, but I suspect they are already old rubber lacking grip. Some new suspension, new rubber, aggressive alignment, and continued familiarization w/ the car should make us much quicker.

At the moment I feel like I can only confidently take the car up to 7/10ths of what it is capable. Any more than that and I swap ends more than I pick up pace.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a serious amount of roll in those pictures!
Old 01-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Yea, the roll/squat/dive is very obvious in my most recent picture. It's hard to drive fast when suspension travel is doing who knows what w/ suspension geometry as the car changes directions.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

^I meant "most recent video" not "picture"
Old 05-28-2012, 03:23 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Alright, so I did a racing event every weekend in May (3 autocrosses and a time trial).

Autocross 1, GoPro didn't charge right, so I couldn't record all my runs (including best run), so here's my worst run w/ a killer spin.

Autocross 2, it was raining in the morning, so driving hard was even more challenging.

Autocross 2, dried out by the afternoon, picked up like 9 seconds of pace.

Autocross 3, big location, lots of speed

Time Trial, lots of speed compared to an autocross, pretty much a track event, 3 laps at a time.
1st set of afternoon runs

2nd set of afternoon runs (faster)
Old 05-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Rainy autocross = nasty car

964 pairs at the Time Trials, the other car belongs to rennlist/pelican member Perelet. Great car, has Bilstein PSS, sticky Kumho XS tires, Recaro Pole Positions, etc.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:07 PM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Vandit...thanks for sharing! It is always great to compare notes! I have a '94 C2; I have been driving this car for one season with 125k miles on her with out swapping the suspension...bone stock...reason being...I really wanted to smooth out my driving skills by doing a lot of back country momentum driving relying heavily on my skills. I can tell you that by going in smooth and powering out of a corner is the way to be fast! My new suspension will be done next week...I can't wait to feel the difference! Many of my buddies x their 911's...great fun! Cheers! Btw...my '87 Carrera had a completely different feel!

Quick Reply: Went autocrossing, very different experience.