Sponsored by:

The wait is over...Rebuild complete

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 02:37 PM
GuyMonnin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The wait is over...Rebuild complete

$21,000 dollars later...Complete rebuild + DM FW, BB exhaust, alternator etc. etc. I picked up my 964 on Friday. I drove it home (ran like a top) and Saturday morning took it out for a drive. When I backed out, what did I see????? Oil drops on the pavers.

I thought must have been some topical oil on the engine after all the work.

Went for a drive to the store....Parked. Sunday morning I moved the car...and now a bunch of oil on the pavers. I looked the under the engine and drip, drip, drip...right off the exhaust.

I drove it to the mechanic first thing Tuesday morning (4th of July weekend). I got off the phone with him a little while ago and the verdict is:

The engine needs to be dropped again, completely torn apart and then put back together to find the cause of the leak. Says the cam housing may be warped and need re-machined or replaced. Gone for another 2-4 weeks.

If you are reading this and thinking about buying a 964, please budget at least 100% the purchase price towards maintenance to actually get the vehicle to a level of respectabillity. I.e. If you want a well sorted 964 but don't have $45,000(purchase + initial maintenance) to throw at one of these vehicles, I highly recommend purchasing another make.

If you get off easier and only spend $10,000 in repairs the first six months or year of ownership, stick the balance in savings for the impending rebuild. You WILL need it at some point.

If oil leaks that would be considered severe on any other vehicle would bother you (and why wouldn't they?), please go foward knowing that your car will be in your mechanics garage more than your own. I.e. if you want the oil leaks repaired prior to driving your newly purchased 964, do not expect to drive it often (ever?).

At this point, were it not leaking directly onto my exhaust, I would simply drive it and get the cardboard diaper most owners have on their garage floor.

It has almost become comical. Clearly, I am not to have this car and I have truly lost faith in Porsche. I am quite confident that even after the added 2-4week repairs, this vehicle will continue to leak oil at some point in the near future. My choice is to accept this or not.

Undecided as I am now so deep into this...

For those of you who are going to question my mechanic, please feel free to do so. However, I would prefer you question Porsche. if you Google "Porsche engine leaks oil even after complete rebuild" you will find that my mechanic and I are in very good, and common, company.

I've owned the car since early May. It has been in the shop all but 5-days.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:52 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

something was overlooked during the rebuild. it will get sorted out. hopefully you'll get to enjoy it very shortly.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:59 PM
GuyMonnin
Advanced

Thanks Mitch9000. I hope you are right. I am sorry for comming across negative. Truth is, I am simply sharring MY experience with Porsche. Just because my experience, when written in black and white, sounds negative, my hope is that I am in the minority.

Does anyone have a "dry" 964? I.e. Dry for years?

Thank you
Old 07-06-2011, 03:00 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Ouch - that's alot of jack.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:09 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

I'd also suggest that BEFORE the engine is dropped, the true source of the leak is determined. Second opinion might also be warranted.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:26 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Guy, this is very unfortunately, I can understand that you would be very frustrated. Obviously something isn't right, and it wasn't detected during the rebuild. Keep us updated on the communication coming from the mechanic, as there are lots of experts here that will be happy to chime in, and provide very sound advice.

As for the leaky engines... mine has never lost a single drop onto the garage floor, before or after my rebuild. I truly believe that all but the most minor of occassional drips can be sorted out. I guess that what I'm saying is that you don't have a 'drip' or a 'leak'.... you have a 'problem' that wasn't fixed correctly.

I know that it sounds like lip service, but I believe that this will all get sorted, and you will be a very happy 964 owner very soon with a very nice car!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Axeman
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about your experience, how about finding a reputable mechanic who can do the rebuild properly the first time around?

Trending Topics

Old 07-06-2011, 04:18 PM
falcor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the rebuild was 21k? *yikes*
Old 07-06-2011, 04:32 PM
hawk911
Race Car

I thought that was a lot of coin also, but I've never done it. My car doesn't leak on the floor, but it could be leaking onto the exhaust and burning off.

my other thought is if the OP just bought the car, then the asking price should have been significantly less if a rebuild was called for. And I just remember the OP's other thread where we warned him about PPI.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:38 PM
PehrJ
Advanced

Originally Posted by GuyMonnin
Thanks Mitch9000. I hope you are right. I am sorry for comming across negative. Truth is, I am simply sharring MY experience with Porsche. Just because my experience, when written in black and white, sounds negative, my hope is that I am in the minority.

Does anyone have a "dry" 964? I.e. Dry for years?

Thank you
Not a singel drop the three last years.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:38 PM
RichiRich
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I had a couple of leaks on my 964 3.3T, though they only dripped once in a while - cost me €1291 to fix. My friend had a lot of leaks on his 964 and his full rebuild cost him €9000, but he is very happy with the result.

Once the leaks are fixed, probably best to get a leak down test to make sure they did a good job!!
Old 07-06-2011, 05:29 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Axeman
Sorry to hear about your experience, how about finding a reputable mechanic who can do the rebuild properly the first time around?
+964

Mentioned this about four weeks ago.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:33 PM
falcor
Racer

Mine drips alittle, a few drops on the garagefloor after each drive. I dont care tho. As long as it doesn't consume alot of oil while driving I'll let it be.
It's a 1990 C2 with about 86k miles on the clock.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:02 PM
f3nr15
Racer

Had a similar experience with the rebuild of the 2.7L in my 1976 911; a few days after the rebuild, she started to leak... A LOT. Ended up being an incorrectly installed rear main seal, which was quickly rectified under the shop's warranty. Hasn't leaked a drop since, and that was 5 years ago.

Hang in there, Guy. The leak will be fixed, and you'll go on to years of trouble-free enjoyment.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The engine on mine has been totally dry for the past 8 years that I've owned it, although I have had a few minor leaks from the oil pipes.

I really think that you have just had some bad luck with it and it's not a true representation of the 964 in general.

I'm sure it'll be fine once they've put this right.

Quick Reply: The wait is over...Rebuild complete